DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Generic or modified appearances templates sure, not full on real wrestlers for CAW templates unless it's AEW signed people.

Gotta be careful of the potential lawsuits these days.

I am concerned after the latest footage. There is no weight to half of the moves, as in it looks like Kris is picking up a child. No struggle at all. I hate that so much. I think the little pauses after moves will likely be ironed out and have been around at least since the Darby and Jungle footage. But the animations kind of suck and the graphics are nothing to write home about. Don't care so much about the latter but the former is huge. If Kenny is pissed off working with Yukes I can believe it after seeing what they've given us so far. 

Okay, rewatched and it's almost entirely on Statlander's finish. The blue thunder looks good but the disparity is noticeable like they had somebody really talented make one move and a novice make the finisher. Yikes. 

Edited by Jiji

WCW/nWo Thunder for PS1 ramblings, about stuff added after WCW Nitro:

More belt mode options (US, TV ) and the Cage match and Battle Royal mode options. The clutch grapples makes moves look less out of nowhere.  Test of strengths exist and the HW or LW only moves.

I have to admit I like the switching faction function of this game, Raven's Flock Goldberg and Nash wear Blue to mimic blue jeans. Raven Flock Hall wears something somewhat wacky and Arn wears the grunge look. nWo Wolfpac Finlay wears the Wolfac red nWo logo and colors while nWo Hollywood Ultimo Dragon wears Black and White,  Etc and etc. 

FMV Entrances. 

The adjustable might meter.

Garbage gets thrown in the ring.

You also can use and change the weapons settings.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1

I watched the extremely brief AEW footage and I'm not seeing this 1 second delay you guys are mentioning. If anything, it just reminds me more of Def Jam Vendetta with the cutaways after a move is executed. I doubt that in the end product that will be how it always is, but that's what it reminded me of. I think that happened in No Mercy as well in single player mode.

BTW, someone mentioned a 28 minute ladder match in No Mercy? I mean, that's it? 4 of us were regularly hitting 60 to 90 minutes per ladder match. I'm shocked we never broke any buttons on any controllers with how rapidly we would mash buttons to avoid getting KO'd.

• Like 1

Ok, now I noticed that little hitch in the animation when a move happens. That to me just looks like early build type stuff. I can't image them releasing the full game with those hitches happening all over the place.

I’m honestly surprised no one made a Pro Wrestler Story like the Video Game Story games. Something for mobile where you don’t necessarily do any hardcore booking, but you’re just running a pro wrestling company and trying to get it to grow bigger and bigger.

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Def Jam 1 and 2 were the shit. I only own 3 PS2 games now, and they're the Def Jam games and Here Comes the Pain.

I still own Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain and Smackdown vs. RAW 2006. Those two and Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth are the three best Smackdown games. Smackdown: HCTP gets my vote as the best wrestling game ever. Never played the Def Jam wrestling games.

• Like 1

This is from the same website that reported Kenny Omega was frustrated with Yukes. So, y'know. YMMV.

https://www.sportsgamersonline.com/games/wrestling/aew-fight-forever-gameplay-will-be-simple-and-so-will-the-creation-suite/

It’s been no secret that there have been issues behind the scenes with the development of AEW Fight Forever. AEW’s first major console game is still expected to release in the fall, but fans should go in with the understanding that there will be limitations with the game.

One such feature that will be limited is the game’s creation suite, which saw limitations implemented rather quickly.

Not having a suite as deep as other sports titles shouldn’t be that surprising. Having the ability to create championships, arenas, shows, and more was nothing that should’ve been anticipated for the first game. However, the limitations are going to be felt in other areas of the suite which can be viewed as either a good or bad thing, depending on how you look at it. SGO was told that movesets in general will be limited “akin to an early 2000s wrestling game” while customization options for wrestlers will leave people wishing they had more.

Regarding the game’s music, one source said don’t expect all of the licensed music that wrestlers have for their entrance themes to make it into the game. One said, “there’s a reason they are showing only wrestlers with themes created specifically for AEW in their previews”.

Sources have said that there will be licensed tracks, but not everyone with a licensed theme is expected to have theirs. The decision with music is strictly budgetary due to the game already being over budget as is.

Regarding entrances, SGO has tried to find out if the game will feature full wrestler entrances as opposed to the tunnel views fans have only seen. So far, however, no one has been willing to give a clear answer on the matter.

Remaining Positive

While things haven’t sounded the greatest behind the scenes, many are adamant that the development team has focused on making the game fun over everything else.

A few people SGO spoke with remain positive on the moveset front saying that it will allow the game to be more accessible and easily picked up by all types of players.

“The expectations were set when games like No Mercy and Here Comes The Pain were said as inspiration,” one said. “Games with good gameplay, but reduced customization.

“If the game is fun, no one will care about the other stuff.”

Sources also say the game’s story mode is a major focus because it will be the primary option for players. Branching storylines and making sure decisions and results impact the direction it goes was a major sticking point from the beginning. The ability for players to replay the mode is something that Kenny Omega has wanted for the game day one and that mindset never waivered.

AEW Fight Forever is expected to launch this fall for console and PC.

So here's a question... does anyone actually care about entrances in wrestling games? It feels like a total waste of time to me. I skip that shit every time. I want to play and interact in the game, not watch TV. So if all the AEW game ends up having is people walking out on the stage is that really a that bad of a thing? I mean WCW/nWo Revenge had the same thing and that was perfectly fine with me. Entrances are repetitive and a waste of everyone's time IMO.

I guess maybe I'm more causal player. I know some people use wrestling games to sim stuff and recorded and put it on You Tube. But that does not appeal to me in the slightest and sounds like the most boring activity on earth lol. I want a wrestling game to be fun to play and could care less about entrances and PPV creation and stuff like that.

Like Mortal Kombat & Street Fighter don't have entrances either, ya know?

• Like 2

Some people really really care about things like entrances (there was a big although brief issue with the new WWE due to something with customized entrances), but its really low on the list of things that concern me. Even the creation suite isn't something I personally care much about, although the basic CAW should be there or it would be a big step back for what fans expect these days.

AEW committing so much time and money into a video game this early always felt like a bad idea and one that would likely end in sadness by either fans, them, or both. Its almost a no-win situation as its not going to be as in-depth as WWE so it has to really nail the "fun gameplay", but every mistake they make is going to be amplified by how high expectations are. And wrestling games are never perfect, especially 'first try' games. Hopefully they can pull it off.

• Like 2

Entrances are fun to watch at first but eventually yeah I end up skipping them. Creation-wise, if they have the option to import faces into the game then they'll be 90% there. I assume the move list will be halfway decent.

Even for the hardcore E-Fed sim folks, you just need a mode that can have multiple "seasons" and you'll be fine.

I don't think we'll ever get anything topping the last FirePro game as far as customization goes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

So here's a question... does anyone actually care about entrances in wrestling games? It feels like a total waste of time to me. I skip that shit every time. I want to play and interact in the game, not watch TV. So if all the AEW game ends up having is people walking out on the stage is that really a that bad of a thing? I mean WCW/nWo Revenge had the same thing and that was perfectly fine with me. Entrances are repetitive and a waste of everyone's time IMO.

I guess maybe I'm more causal player. I know some people use wrestling games to sim stuff and recorded and put it on You Tube. But that does not appeal to me in the slightest and sounds like the most boring activity on earth lol. I want a wrestling game to be fun to play and could care less about entrances and PPV creation and stuff like that.

I agree.  I haven't played a wrestling game in a long time but when I played the WWE games, I'd watch the entrances the first time for each and then I'd end up just disabling them. 

Creation wise, I do like enough CAW options so the guys I make are close enough but I don't need so many options that I'm drowning in them.  I guess I'm more of a "let me sit down and have fun with this and if it's close enough I'm fine" kind of guy than a dude who needs a perfect sim with a shitload of features.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I mean, I liked the bit of trash talk between the fighters before the actual fights in the recent MK games, that's like entrance adjacent?

I would say that I both find entrances neat initially and skip them eventually.

I'm the opposite in loving entrances / theme music. Whether it was just listening to the wrestler themes in the NES/Genesis era, WWF Attitude having made up themes for CAWs, WCW Thunder's real video from their entrance, or the later realistic/spectacular entrances. Always appreciated the little touches like VPW2 showing the shot in the locker room before coming out or champions carrying their titles to the ring. Even though entrances are minimal in Fire Pro World, being able to put all the real themes on it is my fav. Also always had a blast with Create a PPV type modes whenever those were included

• Like 1