DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

According to cagematch.net Bobby Eaton was in WCW Mayhem. They list nothing for Dennis Condrey, Randy Rose, or Stan Lane.

Great roster on Mayhem. The only game to feature Bobby Eaton, Bobby Duncum Jr., and Bobby Blaze! (among others)

E8Ap4MuUcAEWvNc.jpg

• Like 3

I liked that WCW Mayhem and Backstage Assault both didn't require learning button combos, and they did steal some AKI ideas. Like the handicap bar, the grouping and more. 

There weren't many wrestling games yet with backstage areas, at the time both of those EA WCW games, WWF No Mercy, the early two Smackdown games and the final ECW game were the first games with backstage areas.

WWF Attitude was going to have backstages areas but the feature got scrapped.

• Like 1

Not much. THQ Nordic rumoured to be the publisher and Kenny is deeply involved especially since he's been on the shelf:

Fightful has learned more about the upcoming All Elite Wrestling video game.

Several people that have done work with the game have said it was a very "happy accident" that Kenny Omega needed time off from the ring during the home stretch of the video game being produced. We've heard Omega has gone "above and beyond" and stretched far to make sure he can be of help in any way possible to the game, and the time off from the ring has helped provide that. We've also been told that AEW music producer Mikey Rukus had to put in a ton of work for the game.

Omega was a huge part in getting Hideyuki "Geta" Iwashita onboard, who was the director of WWF No Mercy. We're told by those involved that the push to get Geta was a very smart one, and that his contributions have been valuable.

Fightful Select has been told by sources that the roster size sits around 50, and that there will be some unfortunate notable omissions in the first release of the video game. Bodyslam.net today revealed that Owen Hart is planned for the game. A few other confirmed names we've heard along the way are Sting, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Adam Cole, Ruby Soho, which are to be expected.

We've been told there's still a lot of work to be done on polishing the game up, especially character models. There has been downloadable content pitched and discussed, but we don't have it confirmed as of yet. There's a lot of online work to be done still, which is common at this stage for a game.

Though not officially announced, we've heard THQ Nordic is involved, but have also been told their involvement to this point has been minimal.

• Like 1

I wonder who the "notable omissions" will be if Punk, Danielson, and Soho still snuck in. I am guessing its popular midcarders since the main event scene seems pretty complete and I can't imagine someone like Mox not being in it. Maybe wrestlers that just came on strong this year like Kingston won't be in the initial release, but nothing DLC can't fix. I'm not really concerned with the roster, just make it fun please.

People on Reddit are roasting Kris Statlander for not being super mega hyper excited about seeing her video game model. ? I continue to like what I see, and there was a few moments where I was definitely reminded of shit like No Mercy. Not crazy about the one second freeze after a move hits but it’s whatever honestly, I’m sure I’d get used to it.

Oh and some vidya game website I’ve never heard (but apparently leaked GM Mode in the new WWE game, and who the DLC packs were gonna be?) put out a report - either right before or right after the Twitch stream - that Kenny Omega is very frustrated working with Yukes and is regretting the partnership. Ooookay.

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

Oh and some vidya game website I’ve never heard (but apparently leaked GM Mode in the new WWE game, and who the DLC packs were gonna be?) put out a report - either right before or right after the Twitch stream - that Kenny Omega is very frustrated working with Yukes and is regretting the partnership. Ooookay.

I believe it. Putting Kenny Omega, who I believe has zero experience in game development, in charge of this thing solely because "he likes game a lot" is not a disaster-proof recipe.

• Like 2

But he’s not “in charge” of it. He’s just a consultant basically, who is around a lot right now since he’s out injured. Aubrey Edwards is the main person on the games side (with Uno doing the Twitch streams).

That’s weird if she’s only involved in the mobile game when she used to work on console games. But, fair enough.

It doesn’t change the fact that Omega isn’t in charge of the game, though. But maybe there is a tweet out there proving me wrong, who knows.

A good point of comparison might be George Lucas’s involvement with the infamous Star Wars 1313 project. He wasn’t in charge of that game, but he sure managed to fuck up development anytime he showed up to consult on it, because he didn’t understand that making games is different from making movies.

This story also reminds me of that time Kenny decided at the last minute he wanted to take a bump off a giant stack of poker chips at DoN2019, so they had to pay a stupidly inflated price to get it made on a rush. He strikes me as the kind of artiste who doesn’t worry about the budget.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Casey said:

That’s weird if she’s only involved in the mobile game when she used to work on console games.

She hasn't really worked in the console space in ten years, and even then, it was for the DS and 3DS with the Scribblenauts games. Her last projects, which were unfinished, were on mobile games.

I imagine Omega's involvement going down a lot like this...

KO: Hey everyone, let's see how the game is looking.
Yukes: *shows him a game that isn't No Mercy*
KO: Good stuff guys but it's not looking right. Here let's have another 28 minute ladder match in No Mercy.
Yukes: But Kenny we have no spare time
KO: Guys you aren't hitting the mark. This is the research part of research & development.

And I'm okay with that lol. I too want No Mercy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A 50 person roster is going to be met with some disappointment. 40ish men and 10ish women probably? Bunch of fun people being left out. Oh well, if the game play is there I'll be happy.

Just guessing (bolded are confirmed ones):

Shida, Ruby, Statlander, Nyla, Rosa, Jade, Riho, Britt, Conti and Anna Jay for the women

Omega, Sting, Jericho, Danielson, Owen, Darby, Jungle Boy, Punk, Cole, Bucks, Moxley, MJF, Wardlow, FTR, Luchasaurus, Christian, Brodie Lee, Starks, Hobbs, Kingston, Orange, Best Friends, Malakai, Hangman, Spears, Sammy, Hager, Santana, Ortiz, Lucha Bros, Pac, Uno, Grayson, Dustin, Cody (unless they pulled him already)

Notables being left out:

Miro (injured most of the time the game was being developed)

Jeff Hardy (probably too recently signed)

ReDragon, Silver/Reynolds, 10, Danhausen, Hook, Daniel Garcia, Parker/Menard, King/Matthews, Men of the Year, Archer seem the most notable unexplained ones being left out and would probably be added via DLC. I could see them doing a "legends" DLC too and adding Arn, Tully, Jake, Henry, Wight, Taz and maybe any other legends they could sign up.

Yeah count me in on that Legends DLC. Arn, Tully, Jake, Tall Paul, Mark Henry, Taz, & maybe even Aja Kong & Awesome Kong. Could even toss Jeff Hardy in the legends DLC. DDP & Glacier too lol. Just thinking of any legends that have appeared in AEW. Hurricane did, but he's a WWE agent so no way. Bret did but that's doubtful. Didn't Madusa present the women's title?

I'd save Brodie Lee for a separate Dark Order DLC that also has Negative One and Silver, Reynolds, Colt, Uno, & Anna Jay. Just make him Negative One as tall as John Silver and skinny and it could work. And hey, more royalties for Brodie's family that way.

Could easily come up with two or three more packs of left out people. We'll see how hard they wanna go with additions.

I'd say Cody is almost surely not in it. Even if they have a 100% finished character model. Just not a smart business move to include him. He was gone as of January too. So it's not like it'd be a hasty decision that would gut the game. It would be nice if he were there but I don't expect it.