DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

I'm still het up about how shitty Super Wrestlemania for the SNES was and that I picked it as one of my two games when I got my SNES.  Everyone had the same moveset!  Even the NES WWF game was better than that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I would say only licensed appearances "count."

Young Bucks are an extremely good call.

I don't think El Hijo Del Santo has been in a game, but I also don't know how well he's known outside of Mexico or wrestling nerds.

Bucks have got to be it. Other than them I'd say Danhausen or Eddie Kingston?

12 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

There was a Chikara game?

It was a strategy/board type game (IIRC) featuring the characters, not a wrestling game. 

‘’oh wait, there was an actual chikara arcade style game, that was after i stopped watching them. 

May 4th at 11AM, AEWGames & Yukes will have a "sneak peek" on Twitch of the console game. Evil Uno usually does AEWGames streams for an hour or two, so here's hoping for more than just a few seconds.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 9:30 PM, DreamBroken said:

WWE 2k22 "Banzai Pack" DLC drops today. Includes: Yokozuna, Umaga, Rikishi, Omos, and Kacy Catanzaro.

Great timing! Kacy Catanzaro's name is Katana Chance now!

• Haha 1

Kenny Omega said the AEW game will hopefully release this year. Me, I think maybe expect around early 2023 if not 2022.

The AEW Fight Forever name to me is probably their own way of redoing the non PPV or TV names like the games World Tour and Revenge and the DOR series.  They have former AKI members and current Yukes people working on the game.

Probably expect the game to be No Mercy/HCTP/DOR hybrid. 

• Like 1

I miss No Mercy's story mode where you had a bunch of branching paths depending on whether you won or lost, but sometimes I think you had to win. I remember at least one of them culminated with you having to take on the Undertaker in a cage match and it's still the best AI a wrestling game ever had. The AI for that particular match totally changed and you had to work with light strikes and moves and work your way up to heavier stuff. Meanwhile, most stuff Taker did would do 2x damage. And if you were playing as the Undertaker in that storyline, I think you had to face Austin instead.

I had to run through that story mode so many times because my original cartridge had the bug where it would erase all of your shit. 

Anyway, all of this is to say that I hope the story mode in the AEW game is similar and a hybrid of No Mercy, DOR, and HCTP sounds awesome. Hell, a hybrid of Def Jam Vendetta, DOR, and HCTP sounds awesome as long as collision detection doesn't lead to wrestlers exploding all over the ring like in DOR. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, Zimbra said:

I'm still het up about how shitty Super Wrestlemania for the SNES was and that I picked it as one of my two games when I got my SNES.  Everyone had the same moveset!  Even the NES WWF game was better than that!

Wrestlemania Challenge on NES was decent, but the other three WWF games on the console were pretty trash.  The three WWF games on SNES were okay to good, each one improved on the previous.  RAW is best one, though Royal Rumble has such a great roster with Bret, Shawn, Flair, Perfect, Savage and Dibiase.  That said, the best wrestling game on that console is Saturday Night Slam Masters, can you imagine what a classic game it would have been if Capcom had the WWF license?

• Like 4

Some info about gameplay for WWF No Mercy:

Some wrestlers in-game are programmed to behave like their real selves at the time. Not all of the wrestlers are programmed the same either.

No Mercy has a invisible health bar for comebacks,  the comeback mode includes... greatly increased spirit gain, submission moves grant continuous spirit, and an increase in the reversal rate. 

Rubber band AI on the harder modes exist. Beating the cpu up too much causes the AI to reverse most of everything and gain spirit faster. Players get the same advantages on the harder modes but their reversal rate isn't as high.

The game also has the expanded rankings scale of moves. Some moves were made slightly weaker or very weak. People used gameshark to find out that the Super Snap Powerbomb 2 and the Strong Lariat are actually three-tiered S ranked, the highest in-game.  So both moves are the most powerful in-game.

B Grapple Moves were changed, so no B-leveled moves to use for weak grapples. The game further separates weak grapple moves with the strong grapple moves. More effort is needed to hold A for a strong grapple in order to do the more powerful moves.

Because of the removed Computer Intelligence Edit selection mode screen, caws are locked on their progammed choices, caws main finishers are actually the corner front grapple finishing moves. Caws rarely taunt in WWF No Mercy unless it's for their finishers activation, their appeal would be on the rare setting from VPW2.

The Caws are also programmed to do their favourites slotted moves randomly. I don't remember why but they do.

Copying the real wrestlers to caw slots wouldn't give those caws the premades' AI, in WM2000 it would.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Fire pro X premium on SNES if we are counting Famicom games. Was way ahead of the competition. The AJW version was cool. Those AJPW games were neat too but super difficult. 

There was a point in time where I was trying to collect the AJW games for various systems. I bought All Star Dream Slam and the strategy guide and then just gave up ?

On 4/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Zimbra said:

This conversation got me thinking: I wonder who is the highest-profile modern wrestler to never be in a wrestling game?

I feel like the answer is almost certainly a luchador given the dearth of lucha games but I really have no idea.

Was Marty Jannetty ever in any wrestling games? Also, I don't recall ever seeing Rick Martel in any games.

10 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Was Marty Jannetty ever in any wrestling games? Also, I don't recall ever seeing Rick Martel in any games.

Googling it, it appears Martel was in 1993's Royal Rumble, as well as being a Legend in 2K18 and 2K19.

Marty Jannetty I can't find anything for.

Of course - not to make you feel old or anything, but I'm not sure either qualifies as a "modern" wrestler.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Googling it, it appears Martel was in 1993's Royal Rumble, as well as being a Legend in 2K18 and 2K19.

Marty Jannetty I can't find anything for.

Of course - not to make you feel old or anything, but I'm not sure either qualifies as a "modern" wrestler.

I guess we'll just have to define "modern" then. Marty had matches in the WWF and Chikara in the 00s and 10s. Are we just talking people who debuted after a certain year? Like after 2000?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My thinking was more like '90 and forward, basically once wrestling games became popular.

It's crazy that the Rockers haven't been in one of the Smackdown games.

They weren't even in one of the old arcade games like WWF Superstars or WWF Wrestlefest.

6 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

They weren't even in one of the old arcade games like WWF Superstars or WWF Wrestlefest.

That I can kinda understand since their rosters were only like 12 deep, but it feels like everybody has been in a Smackdown game.  Even Mikey Whipwreck made it  in one.

I'm guessing Jannetty is either really on the WWE's shit list or he wants more for his likeness rights than they're willing to pay.

I saw a random list of folks never in a WWF/WWE game and they were all late 80s/early 90s folks - Jannetty was definitely on that list. Another name I remember from it was Bob Backlund

EDIT - other names mentioned (no idea if true) were Rocky Johnson, Paul Orndorff, Dynamite Kid

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I saw a random list of folks never in a WWF/WWE game and they were all late 80s/early 90s folks - Jannetty was definitely on that list. Another name I remember from it was Bob Backlund

EDIT - other names mentioned (no idea if true) were Rocky Johnson, Paul Orndorff, Dynamite Kid

I can see why they wouldn't want DK. Rocky Johnson is kind of a headscratcher because you'd think that at least they'd have included him in some kind of Rock DLC at some point. Orndorff is definitely an odd exclusion as he was a pretty big name in the 80s, was part of the WMI main event and had a big moneymaking run with Hogan.

• Like 1

Bob Backlund was gonna be in Smackdown 2 but was deleted with the 3 other legends. Long before HCTP introduced the legend wrestlers.

His stuff is left in. Have to use gameshark.

SD2_Bob_Backlund.png

He made it into WWE Supercard.

Paul Orndorff was in two WWE Mobile games and the European WWF game Micro League Wrestling.

Rick Martel was also in WWF Rage in the Cage.

"Dynamite Kid" was in some Firepros and VPW1 N64.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 2

I must be sleep deprived because tiny head Bob Backlund is cracking me up at work.

Heads up that Fire Pro World and the DLC are 50-80% off on Steam this weekend.  I think I might double dip and get them so I can try out some of the PC modding stuff.

• Like 2

Natsume Championship Wrestling on SNES has 4 unused wrestlers, Misawa, Patriot, Baba, Kikuchi. Only Baba has his own NCW color, yellow. The rest have glitched neon diff color clothes.

• Like 1