DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

4 minutes ago, No Point Stance said:

I had no idea that Johnny B. Badd ever made it into a videogame. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Marc Mero hadn't been in a game, now that I think of it.

He's apparently been in three, two WCW ones as Johnny B. Badd and one WWE game as Marc Mero.

• Like 2

WCW 2000 was another planned PS2 EA WCW game, by developer EA Canada. It would have been Backstage Assault but for the PS2 with more stages and players. Also be the first wrestling game with facial scanning.

Toukon 3 was going to be ported over to the west as WCW/NWO Revenge for PS1. Also Revenge(PS1) and Live(N64)had their names flipped later on. You even see WCW/NWO live as a sign in Revenge.

The axed PS1 game would have real theme music, and 30 wrestlers, so half from WCW/NWO and the rest from Japan. Detailed CAW mode too.

• Like 1

Toukon Retsuden 3 was amazing.  I think I mentioned it, but I drove from suburban Baltimore in 97 to a sort of sketchy storefront game shop in Annandale, VA to get my original PS1 modded to play TR2 with English instructions printed out from GameFAQs.com.  Man, those were the days.  It was probably $90 to mod it and another $90 for the game but it was worth it.  I got TR3 a few months later and that was even better.  A straight port of TR3 as a WCW game would have been eye-meltingly incredible back then; definitely better than WCW vs The World.  Alas, the best we got was the TR engine dumbed down to a depressing level for the initial Smackdown games.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

WWE 2k22 "Banzai Pack" DLC 

32 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

and Kacy Catanzaro.

Unless Kacy has bulked up considerably since she was doing ninja stuff this feels kinda out of place.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

WWE 2k22 "Banzai Pack" DLC drops today. Includes: Yokozuna, Umaga, Rikishi, Omos, and Kacy Catanzaro.

What about Hakushi, the Orient Express and former WWF lightweight champion Akira Maeda? 

• Like 3

The rumoured WWF Backlash game for N64 was debunked as a hoax or fake by Sanders Keel. Nothing was being made to follow up No Mercy for the N64.

Any final WWF AKI developed game would have been on the PS2. AKI didn't want to work on any Nintendo system anymore at the time and asked THQ if they could work for the PlayStation brand instead. Nothing was published because of the THQ agreement with Yukes was for the PS2 as well.

Anyway we got that good fighting game Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation game on the Gamecube instead. Lot of the old AKI moves and animations were that in game. Some were reanimated. The "Ultimate Muscle" series moved to the PS2 and PSP and the arcades, so 7 games for that series separately.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
12 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

The rumoured WWF Backlash game for N64 was debunked as a hoax or fake by Sanders Keel. Nothing was being made to follow up No Mercy for the N64.

Any final WWF AKI developed game would have been on the PS2. AKI didn't want to work on any Nintendo system anymore at the time and asked THQ if they could work for the PlayStation brand instead. Nothing was published because of the THQ agreement with Yukes was for the PS2 as well.

Anyway we got that good fighting game Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation game on the Gamecube instead. Lot of the old AKI moves and animations were that in game. Some were reanimated. The "Ultimate Muscle" series moved to the PS2 and PSP and the arcades, so 7 games for that series separately.

The N64 was pretty much dead by the time No Mercy came out anyway. The GameCube had already been announced a couple of months prior, so releasing No Mercy, then starting development of a sequel on the N64 when the next console would have been out by that point would have been madness. Poor logic, hoaxers!

6 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The N64 was pretty much dead by the time No Mercy came out anyway. The GameCube had already been announced a couple of months prior, so releasing No Mercy, then starting development of a sequel on the N64 when the next console would have been out by that point would have been madness. Poor logic, hoaxers!

Kind of crazy how back then that would have been dumb, but now it's commonplace.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Kind of crazy how back then that would have been dumb, but now it's commonplace.

Totally. The landscapes are completely different thanks to digital distribution (no need to produce expensive cartridges!) and much higher install bases. I remember reading in old magazines that an N64 cartridge used to cost $30 to produce in terms of materials and costs to Nintendo, who manufactured the cartridges, and that's 1996 money. No wonder as soon as Nintendo announced a new console, publishers and developers would say "nope, onto the next one".

On 4/21/2022 at 7:20 PM, No Point Stance said:

I had no idea that Johnny B. Badd ever made it into a videogame. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Marc Mero hadn't been in a game, now that I think of it.

This conversation got me thinking: I wonder who is the highest-profile modern wrestler to never be in a wrestling game?

I feel like the answer is almost certainly a luchador given the dearth of lucha games but I really have no idea.

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

This conversation got me thinking: I wonder who is the highest-profile modern wrestler to never be in a wrestling game?

I feel like the answer is almost certainly a luchador given the dearth of lucha games but I really have no idea.

Does that include knockoffs in things like Fire Pro? 

15 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The boom of games in the late-1990s, as well as WWE games featuring a lot of talent over the last decade, took care of a lot of people you'd expect. Then the Acclaim Legends of Wrestling games in the mid-2000s helped out as well. New Japan's modern day roster being part of an officially licensed expansion pack in Fire Pro World takes care of them.

As it stands, your non-luchador answer may just be the Young Bucks, who haven't appeared in a game yet, and they become moot when AEW's game comes out.

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Does that include knockoffs in things like Fire Pro? 

I would say only licensed appearances "count."

Young Bucks are an extremely good call.

I don't think El Hijo Del Santo has been in a game, but I also don't know how well he's known outside of Mexico or wrestling nerds.

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I don't think El Hijo Del Santo has been in a game, but I also don't know how well he's known outside of Mexico or wrestling nerds.

El Hijo del Santo was only in knockoff form in Fire Pro, so I think he's your luchador answer.

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

A lot of luchadors who were not in the AAA game would probably count: Casas, Panther, Atlantis, UG. 

The only old western wrestling games I don't want to go back and replay are the old American NES and SNES wrestling games, mostly those old Acclaim WWF games. 

Not because they aged ( I don't think anything ages) but because they're too limited gameplay wise.