DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

I tried to mess around in MyFaction last night and it kept crashing. I also figured out how to get the catch finish trophy (there are control things this game just doesn't tell you. Some of them are more layered than what's ever been in a WWE game before). The game is also really glitchy about letting you hit signature moves and finishers (moreso signature moves). I cannot tell you how many times hitting the prompt turns into just a punch.

Also, playing a Proving Grounds match on the legend tier to get 3 medals is not for the weak at heart. First match is against Kushida, and he battles you like a world beater. Make sure you choose a character that's easy to hit their character specific MFs. 

After playing WWE 2K22 for about ten hours, I have decided I really like the gameplay. The glitches are minimal, some rope detection stuff, but most of the animations are well done and fluid. I've never had an issue doing signature moves or finishers, aside from the CPU reversing me 75% of the time. The combat is easy to pick up and is similar enough to past games that it wasn't a huge learning curve. Really enjoying playing as a cruiserweight, so many different ways to do cool springboard or diving moves. I've been annoyed a few times with the CPU being much better at reversals (heaven forbid I try to do a ground move) and my AI partner is much shittier at breaking up covers than the CPU partner is, but those aren't major quibbles. I am doing MyRise now, which is silly but fun. Its not perfect but a huge step up from the last few games and something they can actually build on for next year without starting from scratch again.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I also figured out how to get the catch finish trophy (there are control things this game just doesn't tell you. Some of them are more layered than what's ever been in a WWE game before).

Well, go on, share with the class. It's the only trophy I need versus the AI (we won't talk about the fucking Rumble ones).

EDIT: Actually, let's talk about the Rumble trophies - I just got both of them. All you need to do is set the game to Easy, pick Reigns, replace all the chosen entrants with the lowest rated wrestlers, and go from there. You'll get the trophy for winning from #1 or #2, and eliminating 16 people (or whatever the number is). It's kind of cheesing the system, but multi-man matches are already hectic enough with having to worry about winning from a certain spot or eliminating a certain amount of people.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Well, go on, share with the class. It's the only trophy I need versus the AI (we won't talk about the fucking Rumble ones).

EDIT: Actually, let's talk about the Rumble trophies - I just got both of them. All you need to do is set the game to Easy, pick Reigns, replace all the chosen entrants with the lowest rated wrestlers, and go from there. You'll get the trophy for winning from #1 or #2, and eliminating 16 people (or whatever the number is). It's kind of cheesing the system, but multi-man matches are already hectic enough with having to worry about winning from a certain spot or eliminating a certain amount of people.

The easiest way to do it is use Orton, get him to a stored finisher (I did him vs Cedrick Alexander on Normal), irish whip your opponent into the ropes. When they rebound, hit L1/LB and that'll pop them into the air and then you can hit the finisher command to RKO them.

I'm fascinated that you can do stacked/double Attitude Adjustments/F5s in this game. I need to look into that more. 

I think my only trophies remaining are the Rumble ones, a couple Universe ones, and all MyCareer/MyFaction ones. I'm at like 52% right now on all trophies. 

I’ve mentioned before my primary interest in these games is to support my simfed.  I largely believe I’ll be able to use 2k22 for that purpose.  

BUT…

The fucking game crashed during the first live stream.  Ugh!  It killed an otherwise decent show.

More patches please.

4 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I’ve mentioned before my primary interest in these games is to support my simfed.  I largely believe I’ll be able to use 2k22 for that purpose.  

BUT…

The fucking game crashed during the first live stream.  Ugh!  It killed an otherwise decent show.

More patches please.

I don't know percentage of players use these games as simulations for their dream fed, but it has to be a a decent amount. The fact that it is the one thing in the entire game that seems to not work at all is so disappointing, because I've had a lot of fun with it otherwise. I just don't care to play those modes for more than s couple minutes at a time. I'll play My Universe for hours on end, but I can't even get it to load. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been playing Classic Universe mode for a couple of weeks now and haven't had a crash since the update. (Though even before that, the crashes were an annoyance more than a serious problem, at least for me.)

One note: pre-patch, if you did Liv Morgan's signature facebuster and went straight into a pin, the move would eat your signature bars but neither give you a finisher icon nor do any damage. After the patch, it still doesn't do either of those things, but it doesn't use up your signature bars either. Progress!

Plus lets face it, most of the "buzz" that WWE games got before was for being very broken and buggy. Its never been the type of game to get more attention than the true AAA games, in the grand scheme of video game releases it isn't even in the Top 10 for 2022 so far. It is probably a positive for them that its not a big part of active conversation on social media to a degree as the conversation around WWE games has traditionally been negative. The bigger thing will just be sales, and if they hit whatever target WWE had to not move to a new developer.

• Like 1

You're right that in the larger world of video game discussion a new WWE game isn't that big a deal, this is primarily a pro-wrestling board. So the fact that discussion here died down quickly is perhaps surprising.

I've been considering posting my thoughts on the same having played it heavily for a couple of weeks, but haven't bothered. In short, it's definitely not a farcical shitshow like I've heard the last game was, but overall I'd say the gameplay is a small step down from WWE2019.

In other news, yet another patch hit yesterday. Still no change to Liv's signature facebuster.

• Like 1

I'm actually fine with the gameplay, I don't mind it. I thought I'd hate it, but I don't oddly enough.

I've pretty much turned this into a primarily AEW game, however. I had a bangin' triple threat, in a note perfect Revolution arena (DraftKing logos on the mat!), for the AEW title, between Punk, Hangman and Cole. I need to adjust sliders still, but that went a good 22 or so minutes from what I remember. I got knocked out of the ring because this game does that WWE trope of someone rolling outside to the floor during multiman matches, Hangman hit the Buckshot Lariat on Cole (but it's just springboard clothesline from the apron into the ring) and then I (Punk) recovered, slid in, hit Hangman with a flying leg lariat and covered Cole to steal the win.

Then I did Omega vs Rollins in 2/3 Falls, he kept spamming God's Last Gift and I got demolished by Rollins. I'm mainly doing these exhibition matches right now to get the in-game currency so I can buy people in the store I'll never use, just so I can get this VERY realistic looking Eddie Kingston, and Brodie Lee. Do I want Vince or Kane? No, but I need them to get Eddie & Brodie (and some others in the CAWs are locked like that because of other WWE guys).

Since they've fixed the whole "X amount of CAWs crash the game", I've loaded that shit up with the AEW roster. I'm probably halfway there to having the full roster, actually. It loads SLOOOOW, and there's still a few bugs like downloaded shows appearing as another show, or CAWs having the in-game render of another CAW if they don't have anything set. Custom renders still appear to not actually be tied to any CAW so they can be accidently deleted if you do the "delete unused images" thing in the Deletion Utility.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 10:59 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

After playing WWE 2K22 for about ten hours, I have decided I really like the gameplay. The glitches are minimal, some rope detection stuff, but most of the animations are well done and fluid. I've never had an issue doing signature moves or finishers, aside from the CPU reversing me 75% of the time. The combat is easy to pick up and is similar enough to past games that it wasn't a huge learning curve. Really enjoying playing as a cruiserweight, so many different ways to do cool springboard or diving moves. I've been annoyed a few times with the CPU being much better at reversals (heaven forbid I try to do a ground move) and my AI partner is much shittier at breaking up covers than the CPU partner is, but those aren't major quibbles. I am doing MyRise now, which is silly but fun. Its not perfect but a huge step up from the last few games and something they can actually build on for next year without starting from scratch again.

That's my only beef with the gameplay so far. I hate when I get put in tag-team matches during the MyRise stuff because of this, especially tornado tags. Your partner will stand there with his thumb up his ass while the CPU partner makes a save.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's in my Big Three complaints about the gameplay. The AI partner is significantly worse at preventing the save than they were in 2K19. And they were fucking terrible at it in 2K19.

My biggest complaint would be that if you have a submission signature or finisher, the best way to win with it is to slap it on, release it before the opponent breaks out, then pin them. I hate that.

Rounding out the list is that I don't like the new reversal system. Using one button to reverse everything was probably too easy, and likely what necessitated giving each wrestler a limited number of reversals. But having five different buttons that can reverse depending on context is just too many. I've been playing pretty heavily for weeks, and I just can't internalize the new rules. And the window to perform a reversal is way too short for my middle-aged brain to be able to figure out "Okay, they've grabbed me, time to guess what sort of move they're going to try and hit that button" and actually hit a button in time. The end result is that I pretty much only reverse grapples if they happen to do the same type of move I was trying to do to them before they grabbed me, which isn't very satisfying.

Edited by tbarrie

• 2 weeks later...

I almost hate myself for doing this but I got 2K22.  Only managed to get a half hour in so far but it seems fine enough.  The reversal button being Y is odd though I'm starting to get used to it.  Though for all the talk about graphics I'm not fully convinced as things still seem off with some wrestlers.  And I guess things are lacking big-time with the creation suite as it's hard to find CAWs that look truly accurate, especially in the face.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1