DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

20 hours ago, Casey said:

I pretty much only did this for the unlockables and to get the trophies so I can move on. Then I went back into GM Mode and got the 5 star match trophy for that mode. Not a chance I'm going to get the trophy for coming in first place at the end, though. Interesting (random) note: Stephanie's RAW had Timothy Thatcher beat Brock Lesnar for the WWE title 4 weeks out from WrestleMania.

The MyGM mode I'm in has basically had a never ending feud between Brock and Tyler Breeze with Breeze winning the title a lot!

I'll get the finish MyGM and the first place trophy this weekend. I have about 20 weeks remaining, so I could botch the latter. 

I'll give the mode credit. The groan over its limitations in lack of titles and match types was concerning, but you can kind of see why. There are more layers to the mode than you think even if some of the choices are weird. (Like you can only have great matches with certain pairings). 

I was thinking about the potential for EA to pick up this license and another development studio making the game. Honestly, their best move may be to go in a WWE All-Stars direction. Make it look like you're playing with action figures. The character models and animations don't need to be so over the top, but just focus on what made All-Stars so good. If AEW is going in the sim direction, maybe it would be wise for WWE to just go in a more exaggerated direction. You could still focus on having great back and forth matches that receive star ratings, you could still have a GM mode, you could still do all of the stuff they usually do with these games, but just push things a little bit further in the absurdity department.

• Like 2

I swear wrestling games are always buggy pieces of shit.  The only part of this game I really want to play is My Universe, but of course it crashes the game every time I try to load that mode.  It sucks, because I was having a lot of fun with it.  

• Like 1

The new AEW game will have a storymode, with input from some certain wrestlers. And the Yukes people who worked on the SVR games are helping with the game. Thunder Rosa's prototype for the game has already been created. Music has been supplied by the AEW music producer Mikey Rukus for the storymode.

They hope to have a publisher later on for the game.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I swear wrestling games are always buggy pieces of shit.  The only part of this game I really want to play is My Universe, but of course it crashes the game every time I try to load that mode.  It sucks, because I was having a lot of fun with it.  

You probably went over the limit for images. I had this happen to me earlier today after downloading Defract’s Kenny Omega. I deleted everything, still crashed, then had to go into Community Creation’s image deletion utility and clear everything. I had like almost 300 unused images even after deleting CAWs and arenas and shit. Apparently a patch is on its way, but still. I’m annoyed too.

I've sort of gotten the hang of the gameplay mechanics. I really like it now that I've figured things out. The learning curve definitely wasn't that steep as the past games. It does feel more like an arcade game than simulating an actual wrestling match but that's fine with me.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

You probably went over the limit for images. I had this happen to me earlier today after downloading Defract’s Kenny Omega. I deleted everything, still crashed, then had to go into Community Creation’s image deletion utility and clear everything. I had like almost 300 unused images even after deleting CAWs and arenas and shit. Apparently a patch is on its way, but still. I’m annoyed too.

That is probably the exact problem.  I just downloaded The Young Bucks and Moxley with all their attires.  It sucks, because the only reason I play this game is so I can download all my favorite wrestlers and run a virtual promotion in My Universe, if I can't do that this shit is kind of worthless to me.  Hopefully the patch drops soon, but it fucking sucks to spend $70 on a game and it can't actually do what it's supposed to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Always amuses me what things QA misses. Probably did hundreds of hours of testing but no one thought "hey lets see what happens when we add a shit ton of created wrestlers."

It's not even a shit ton, I had like 12 CAWs in my Universe. What's causing the issue is how many custom images each CAW uses. Like I said before, I had near 300 images used between that many CAWs, two or three arenas, and 4 titles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

It's not even a shit ton, I had like 12 CAWs in my Universe. What's causing the issue is how many custom images each CAW uses. Like I said before, I had near 300 images used between that many CAWs, two or three arenas, and 4 titles.

Maybe a dumb question but does this happen in both the Xbox and PS versions??  I wanted to buy the game to play this weekend but will hold off if it's buggy. 

14 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Always amuses me what things QA misses. Probably did hundreds of hours of testing but no one thought "hey lets see what happens when we add a shit ton of created wrestlers."

From listening to the Giant Bombcast for about forever now and how close they are to the industry, there is very, very, very little QA that happens now and that's been the case for at least the last 5 years or more. There's always so much crunch to get bigger titles out there and the thought is, not shocking either, that they'll always fix the games post-release.

Even something like Lost Ark, which has been out for a long while now, never account for Daylight Saving Time because it was developed in South Korea. That caused a ton of issues for players recently and still is. 

However, smaller studios not working on big games always have their shit together because they are actually QA'ing their stuff. Stuff like the recently released Tunic or even Hades are rock solid at release.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Maybe a dumb question but does this happen in both the Xbox and PS versions??  I wanted to buy the game to play this weekend but will hold off if it's buggy. 

Yeah it’s on every version of the game.

• Like 1

apparently Rey vs Liger was planned for the showcase via unused leftover image files in the game, but I’m assuming they couldn’t clear the rights to Liger due to Japanese copyright laws and it being tied to an anime, etc.

Yea I imagine the rights are complicated, even if New Japan has full rights to do whatever they want with the character, and he can wrestle anywhere he wants as Liger, crossing that over to a different media might have been more trouble than it was worth.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, Craig H said:

From listening to the Giant Bombcast for about forever now and how close they are to the industry, there is very, very, very little QA that happens now and that's been the case for at least the last 5 years or more. There's always so much crunch to get bigger titles out there and the thought is, not shocking either, that they'll always fix the games post-release.

Even something like Lost Ark, which has been out for a long while now, never account for Daylight Saving Time because it was developed in South Korea. That caused a ton of issues for players recently and still is. 

However, smaller studios not working on big games always have their shit together because they are actually QA'ing their stuff. Stuff like the recently released Tunic or even Hades are rock solid at release.

Whenever I watch a video about game development the only QA mentioned is game testing, which in QA terms means explorative testing. Obviously, this is an important part of testing, but there are a lot of other ways you should test your software. Also, the constant crunch you are mentioning, that the developers of bigger studios seem to be under, I am sure leads to a lot of "technical debt", which in the long run means things like the barely working, unmaintainable engine the WWE games are using for the last decade and a half. I am curios how much of the last 2.5 years the Visual Concepts devs were just dealing with cleaning up technical debt to make the stuff somewhat usable again.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

apparently Rey vs Liger was planned for the showcase via unused leftover image files in the game, but I’m assuming they couldn’t clear the rights to Liger due to Japanese copyright laws and it being tied to an anime, etc.

Would that even be a good match to showcase Rey though? IIRC, it was a little competitive for a bit but at the end, Liger kinda just took Rey apart and won pretty easily. Plus Liger was just coming off of brain surgery so it wasn't like the crazy high spot fest people expected. It was a good match but not something I'd call super memorable or integral to Rey's career. Just my opinion.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

Just now, cwoy2j said:

Would that even be a good match to showcase Rey though? IIRC, it was a little competitive for a bit but at the end, Liger kinda just took Rey apart and won pretty easily. Plus Liger was just coming off of brain surgery so it wasn't like the crazy high spot fest people expected. It was a good match but not something I'd call super memorable or integral to Rey's career. Just my opinion.

I wouldn’t really rate his match against Joe or Metalik as something that needed to be showcased either, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I wouldn’t really rate his match against Joe or Metalik as something that needed to be showcased either, though.

I haven't played the showcase mode so I thought they were only using really memorable matches. If those matches were included, the Liger one should definitely be in over either of those then. It wasn't anything special but it was a good match and had another iconic performer in it.

The showcase is basically one iconic match from his WCW run, then it time jumps like 9 years to his Mania match with Eddie. Tribute show match with HBK, then some late 00s and early 10s matches, and jumps ahead to his return. Like, it wasn't anything great, but it was weird to me they didn’t have the Eye for an Eye match included. 

This game likely had a ton of cut content: character models have been found for Mankind, NoD Faarooq, modern Road Dogg, etc. Even the Showcase match selection screen for Rey/Liger is still in the game files.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:07 AM, The Natural said:

Jon Mox Lee.

Chris Jeri-KO.

There's a really good Malakai Black that I downloaded where the announcers call him "Malenko Black". That would actually be a cool name if someone wanted to use it.

• Like 1