DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

Thinking of getting this because I read that they redid the gameplay and controls. How are the kickout mechanics? I remember the last WWE game I played annoyed me because you had to do some kind of minigame of pressing buttons at the right time to kick out even if someone was pinning you at the start of a match. Is that still the case?

By default, you press x rapidly to fill a circle. That's it. You can change it back to the stop-the-moving-bar-in-the-green-line version in the options but I won't be doing that.

The submissions minigame requires tapping the correct button according to the prompt, but can be changed to just holding it instead.

All of the semi-realistic chain grappling/working holds and reversal limits have been removed, so the matches are kind of annoyingly go-go-go from the start. There's no stamina bar but there are still slider settings related to stamina effects and recovery; haven't heard anybody saying they've seen any groggy finishers or crawling pins, which has to be one of the best features they ever put in and then immediately dumbly scaled back and removed for no reason.

On the other hand, the controls are smoother and more responsive, and there seem to be a lot of contextual animations linking things together. The overall feel of playing a match is definitely improved on e.g 2k16-19 where it was possible to have frequent good matches but too dogged by this kind of jankiness to ever really say it was fun doing it

I don't know what all the sliders do to tweak yet but it doesn't seem very good for simming so far, feels like one AI wrestler (Cody lol) tends to get the advantage and steam almost uninterrupted to a finish.

• Like 2

Thanks for the response! That all sounds good to me. I kinda just want a dumbed down game or whatever is closest to Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain. I think it was 2K16 or 17 that I played where the controls felt daunting.

I posted this on another board, but here's my brief (lol) thoughts from playing like 6 or so hours on Thursday night/Friday morning. I like it, it has its problems, but it's still fun at least. Oddly enough, the mode I like the most is probably MyFACTION - but I also dug the hell out of the Towers mode in previous games, so... ymmv.

Spoiler

I'm having longer, more difficult matches with the difficulty turned up to Legend, but I still win every match. In MyRISE, I beat the piss out of Chyna in basically a squash, but then in the Performance Center, my character and Beth Phoenix had like a legit 25 minute match that was... actually pretty good, and fun. Her & I both were bruised to shit when it finally ended (I love that too, the bruises and stuff after so much punishment or particular strikes).

I'm gonna have to search to see if anyone has tinkered with the sliders yet, I always do that in every WWE game if I end up buying it. Legend is hard, but it's not impossible or anything. But, watch - as I say that, when I try to get the trophy for beating Reigns on legend difficulty, it'll suddenly turn into a nigh impossible task and I'll break a controller.

Other random stuff:

MyGM would be more fun if it had more than just 1v1 and 2v2. And only a men's and women's top title. And more space on the card instead of just two promos and three matches. And if I could see the history of what I've booked in the past. Nice start, it could be so much better though. I still think these games with MyGM are predisposed to have RAW win, though.

MyFaction is a fun twist on the towers mode, which I actually enjoyed in 2K19 (didn't play 2K20 so no idea if it made a comeback). I've unlocked a few more cards just by using the in-game (in-mode?) currency. It'll be grindy, but whatever. It's fun.

MyRISE definitely has its problems, but I can see myself actually finishing a career mode for the first time in a WWE game in a LONG time. Don't really like how the stories work in that mode either, you kind of just go from "story" to "story", it's kind of weird. I went from tagging with fellow Booker T trainee Ember Moon/Athena against my PC rival and that superfan wrestler lady, to suddenly talking to HBK about doing mocap for the next WWE video game. And that was a "storyline" - just wrestling Raquel Gonzalez while we're both in mocap suits. Ehhhh.

Universe is apparently a glitchy mess right now. Going over a certain size of data or 99 (I think?) images crashes the game. I was making an AEW Dynamite show in Universe, previewed the arena... and the game crashed. I'm sure they'll patch it sometime soon, apparently this was also a thing in 2K20 but they fixed it pretty fast. Once this all is fixed, I'm interested in the Superstar mode or whatever.

Gameplay wise, this is a definite upgrade. I thought I'd hate the combo stuff, but I don't. And I love how much more fluid a match seems to be now. I've seen videos on Reddit (and it's happened to me as well) where some moves kind of just flow together. Hard to explain unless you notice it yourself, but it's great. Although, it's weird that my character in MyRISE is a legit cruiserweight, and she was overhead suplexing Nia Jax. The collision detection between - what I've seen to be mainly the female models - is pretty bad. BARELY making contact when you bodyslam or suplex or whatever someone. Like, they'll go for a headlock to get them ready for a suplex, and you can an entirely different person's head inbetween where your character's arm is and your opponent's head, that much space. Absolutely didn't have that problem when I've played as Balor against KUSHIDA, or in the tutorial as Rey against Riddle.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I'm really enjoying this too. Haven't played more than a couple of hours but I'm getting used to the controls after taking a couple years off. The combo and breaker system is pretty fucking rad ngl. Lighting system makes it look significantly better and with the super ultra wide monitor on pc it's quite pretty. The personalities really come out in the combos. Genius move there. 

At least Bad Bunny is on the soundtrack. 

I have already deleted the Strong Spirits game from my tablet. Just so so so so repetitive. You do the same basic things again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

Sort of fun for the first couple of days but, I wouldn't bother. 

Although, maybe you'll like it, @Blue Dragon since you seem to genuinely enjoy posting skeevy Joshi pics again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again...

Edited by Gordlow

People are posting some pretty cool reversal sequences leading to match finishes and stuff on the wwe games reddit, much like fire Pro I guess the closing stages of the matches are handled better then the early stages

The PSN store says the Undertaker Immortal pack is included with the standard edition as of now (it was meant to be part of the pre-order bonus I think), but it isn't actually turning up for anyone from what I hear. Currently trying to get them to send it to me but suspect the answer is "looks like Sony fucked up, have a nice day"

I wouldn't care but I'm currently unable to download a reasonably good Luchasaurus caw because it uses moves from it ?

Well this has been a clusterfuck.  

Or at least since I got the first patch update. 

I got the early release.  So I’ve been hammering away at building the roster for my sim league. I’m downloading community creations stuff and that works off and on.

I simmed a couple of matches and they went pretty well.  More camera cuts and the floating hard cam will make for a very different presentation to the show on my YouTube channel.  No harm, no foul.

But since the update I haven’t been able to sim any matches or to open universe mode. At all.  Just a blue screen error message.

A search on the internets has a lot of folks dealing with the same problem.  The word is that once you get past a certain threshold with save data it crashes.  I’m holding out hope for another update soon to fix it.  

This might actually have potential if one could actually get to the matches.

Yeah, I've had weird glitches where the screen will go black outside of player icons and have had to reboot a couple times (this was during early access too). Also, I had an issue yesterday where I loaded in a MyFaction match and it stay loaded on the load screen. Thankfully, I was able to pause blindly tap up, hit x, and force a quit match and hop back in.

Also, I got the Roman achievement on the first try using The Rock. I'm not very good at this game, but it seems that if you go and just try to win as opposed to mark off a checklist (like you do in Showcase or MyFaction), it's pretty easy to navigate to a W.

I've gotten all the MyGM achievements outside of finishing first and finishing a season (I did a 50 week season and am around week 29).

Also, did one rumble match. You can get some really easy eliminations via hard whipping and kicking the player.

I'm happy that none of the trophies/achievements are multiplayer or online focused because these games are better solo and lacking cheese unless you're playing with friends. 

I want to post again about this because I want to make it clear that I definitely didn't mean to come across as shaming anyone who's digging the game. For me personally, creation suites are where I sink the most time, so after a three year wait, I was pretty disheartened that there wasn't a single update to any of the assets available. Plus the in-game arena selection was absolute garbage. All that IP to leverage and you get Raw 2020? A single WM? Just couldn't do it. I've seen a lot of people say it's a good "launching point" for the next one, but after all this time, they really needed to go big here, and to me, it missed the mark.

• Like 1

This is certainly one of the most mixed receptions I've seen to a wrestling game in awhile. I've seen everything from the canned animations making it feel as if you're not actually playing it to people saying it's very fluid and gives a good representation of WWE wrestling. The one thing that I've seen panned a lot is the MyGM mode being only one year. Like, what kind of crap is that? Only one year?

But yeah, it seems like other places like Reddit or OperationSports are all over the place with their opinions. It's weird, but other than good word of mouth, opinions being all over the place is something else that draws me into buying a game. I'm tempted to get it, but not right now. Maybe if and when it drops down to $30 I'll give it a shot. For now, I have more than enough on my plate with Elden Ring and the first Horizon game, not to mention whatever I'm playing off of Game Pass. Despite that, I'm still interested in seeing everyone's opinions on this one.

• Like 1

I think one reason for the mixed reaction, and to the point @Zakk_Sabbathmade, is it partially depends on how people play the game. I can certainly understand the create-a-wrestler options not being robust being an issue for some, and if it doesn't "sim" well for others, but those aren't really things that matter to me personally. Doesn't mean they can't matter to anyone, they just aren't factors for me. Its definitely one of those games that I want to hear someone's expanded thoughts on why they don't like it, as just "this game sucks" could mean something I care about or something that means nothing to how I plan on playing it anyway.

• Like 3

I took the plunge and bought it this morning. Got the nWo edition so I could be nWo Scott Hall. Played it a little this morning before work and I liked the controls. I like that there are prompts. The reversal thing is a little frustrating as it seemed like every move I did got reversed and I could barely reverse out of anything. My game was still downloading so I could only play as Big E, Roman, Damian Priest or Rey on the male side. I had to be Roman to win any matches. Rey kicked the shit out of me when I was Big E though I'm sure I'll get the hang of it as I play it more as the learning curve doesn't seem as steep as the past WWE2K games I tried a while back.

I'm very glad to be done with the Showcase mode. It's cool how the game transitions to actual footage, but I don't want to have to play that again. I turned it on easy difficulty just so I could get through it in under an hour. The secret unlockable match is frustrating, since you have to attack a particular person, and it's a tag match, so they'll, y'know, tag out. So you have to wait for them to tag back in to progress through the match.

I'm glad I have things like Batista, the World Heavyweight title, etc. unlocked now, but oh man I don't need alternate attires for people like Miz or Ziggler, or 800 versions of Rey.

I pretty much only did this for the unlockables and to get the trophies so I can move on. Then I went back into GM Mode and got the 5 star match trophy for that mode. Not a chance I'm going to get the trophy for coming in first place at the end, though. Interesting (random) note: Stephanie's RAW had Timothy Thatcher beat Brock Lesnar for the WWE title 4 weeks out from WrestleMania.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

I pretty much only did this for the unlockables and to get the trophies so I can move on. Then I went back into GM Mode and got the 5 star match trophy for that mode. Not a chance I'm going to get the trophy for coming in first place at the end, though. Interesting (random) note: Stephanie's RAW had Timothy Thatcher beat Brock Lesnar for the WWE title 4 weeks out from WrestleMania.

brock-lesnar.gif&ehk=Xhto2jliXqihlQUf99Y

• Haha 2

This might be a dumb question but here goes, after you knock your opponent on the ground, how do you pick them up to do a grapple? I hit the O button (on PS4) and it'll grab the guy by the hair but from there it seems like I can only do submission moves or the guy just reverses and kicks me in the head. I remember in the old Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain game, if you wanted to pick up a downed opponent, you'd hit O to grab them and O again to pick them up but that doesn't seem to work here. I didn't see anything in the instructions on how to do this. Am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

This might be a dumb question but here goes, after you knock your opponent on the ground, how do you pick them up to do a grapple? I hit the O button (on PS4) and it'll grab the guy by the hair but from there it seems like I can only do submission moves or the guy just reverses and kicks me in the head. I remember in the old Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain game, if you wanted to pick up a downed opponent, you'd hit O to grab them and O again to pick them up but that doesn't seem to work here. I didn't see anything in the instructions on how to do this. Am I missing something?

Just flick "up" on the right analog stick to pick them up. I didn't see it explained anywhere but just process of elimination I eventually found it.

• Like 1

Is there still a way to do manual rope breaks? I have auto rope breaks turned off and saw a website guide that said manual rope breaks are now available to all wrestlers, but have never seen the prompt or had an opponent do one when right next to the ropes

Also how do you do the takedown defensive ability? I know the flash pin is right stick and down on d pad but not sure how to do the one that just trips them up