DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

I remember my friends and I not understanding video games' development cycles and being equal parts befuddled and pissed off that DDP wasn't in WCW vs the World.  We even browsed through the files on the disc using a PC to see if maybe he was a locked character or something!  Real high tech shit, friends.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, The Natural said:

My first wrestling games were WWF War Zone and WCW vs. The World on the PlayStation for Christmas 1998. One of the best Christmases ever with 2000 getting Smackdown 2: Know Your Role, 2002 getting a PlayStation 2 with Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth/Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Grand Theft Auto III/Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (probably my favourite Christmas ever) and 2003's Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain.

best christmas for me was probably 1996: an n64, Mario 64, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and likely one other game but i can't be arsed to figure out which (potentially Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire?). that n64 got played night and day for YEARS. Hell, it still works and it's still hooked up in my living room. needless to say, the game selection has grown since then.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Yukes left as the developer before 2K20 and now with this new game.. their old SD engine is done away with for the new 2K22 game. Expect less buggy and glitchy game.

Given their track record I'm gonna wait and see on that.

One thing that gave me pause in the video is after "Immersive Presentation" it showed three camera cuts during one move.

• Like 2

Well now.  This is relevant to my interests.

From what I can take from this at least.  I might be willing to throw down some dollars if the game will translate well for my sim league.  Game intelligence is of course paramount.  So the more capable the game is of selling something of a television presentation, while keeping it compelling for the guys who have a character in the game?  The better and more likely it is I’ll continue to run the league.  

I still use 2k19 at this point.  While it’s stretched pretty thin with what it hasn’t done, it continues to surprise.  Keeping in mind I book, but don’t decide winners, losers, or finishes.

But goddamn, pal.  I’d love to have a game good enough to freshen it up.

The AEW game seems forever away.

Its been a joke on social media but no doubt also very true - all these WWE cuts must be frustrating for the developers as I'm sure they had begun the process of making some of those wrestlers. Not the bottom-end NXT wrestlers as those usually come out later in packs, but anyone from RAW/SD no doubt had to be wiped. I'm sure they'd appreciate if the roster stabilized.

• Like 1

It's possible some of the released people will still be in the game. They went through the trouble of making them. WWE owns the IP / trademarks in mast cases. Shouldn't be hard to draw up an agreement to remain in the game at the same percentage you would have gotten while being on the active roster.

Now that I've typed it out and see how logical it sounds, I see where I went wrong. No chance it happens lol.

• Like 1

Plus they've shown to not like doing that in the past, they've even removed wrestlers from their card sets to the point there was a gap in the numbering. Not saying I agree with it but they really are quick to eliminate recently released wrestlers. Unless the wrestler becomes a "legend" and is added that way.

One exception recently is WWE Auctions, which still sells items from released wrestlers. So maybe there is some hope.

I don't think VC is going to have much of a choice in whatever the roster is. They're probably more focused on making sure the game isn't a shit show and is with buying. 

They're probably also focused on making the thing as much of a microtransaction cash grab like the NBA series. Watch them charge you to remove wrestlers from the game to have the most accurate roster. That seems like the most 2K sports thing they could do. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Man...That brings back memories of when I took a laundry basket, cut the bottom out, and used it as a steel cage for my Hasbro ring. With GI Joes as the wrestlers, of course. 

I sadly never had the LJN ring, but my friend had the LJN ring and the cage for it and I remember that being the coolest shit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...