DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

11 hours ago, Craig H said:

I keep meaning to go back to FPW, but it's going to have to be on the PS5 for now since it's too hard to play on my PC at the moment.

Just remember that before you do, go into the system options and turn off the option about using HDR for non HDR supported games.  It makes it look like FUCKING SHIT trust me and it's on by default 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Speaking of I tried to play some No Mercy the other day and there was no combination of settings for it to not look like shit on my new tv. I guess I need to thrift a little CRT just for the 64.

There's a signal converter you can get online. I bought my daughter Ocarina of Time for Christmas and it was basically unplayable on a modern TV. The signal converter makes it look so much better. Same goes for No Mercy. 

• Like 1

And that "Wrestling Code" game is still in early production as well (that may be the one Angle was doing mocap for), seems like a lot of games are in early development. I support more wrestling games being released but I am equally pessimistic that any will be particularly good. For a modern style game, the collision detection/moves seems to be incredibly difficult to make look right in every situation, and these smaller studios just aren't going to have the time or resources. Plus some fans really want a sim, some want arcade-style, its a tough balance to find. Retromania in a way had the right idea, it has its issues but going for the retro feel made their lives a little easier and they were able to basically meet expectations.

13 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

And that "Wrestling Code" game is still in early production as well (that may be the one Angle was doing mocap for), seems like a lot of games are in early development. I support more wrestling games being released but I am equally pessimistic that any will be particularly good. For a modern style game, the collision detection/moves seems to be incredibly difficult to make look right in every situation, and these smaller studios just aren't going to have the time or resources. Plus some fans really want a sim, some want arcade-style, its a tough balance to find. Retromania in a way had the right idea, it has its issues but going for the retro feel made their lives a little easier and they were able to basically meet expectations.

yeah Wrestling Code is the Angle game.  Too many Arcade style games coming out. Put out a realistic game. Shit N64 had it right. Why can't the modern companies?  Retromania was almost like FPR 2.0.  Calling it a sequel to Wrestlefest was a lame publicity stunt. It is nowhere near the quality of Wrestlefest and Wrestlefest is 30 yrs older. 

One really impressive thing about the FPW edit scene is how they've created moves with position changes repurposed the shootfighting stances to approximate chain wrestling.  Being able to do a wristlock->headlock->go behind->front facelock->rollup that's a continuous chain but not just a canned animation is super cool and gets around some of the stodginess of the Fire Pro engine.

Of course this means I finally have to actually learn the timings for the shootfighting grapples.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up Fire Pro from the PS5 store today for $10. My first foray into the series coming from mainly 2K19 and it's insanely difficult so far. It feels like myself and player 2 are just hitting each other and doing nothing. Trying to get thru the tutorials currently. Where can I download these edits etc? I was excited for the creation suites but I'm underwhelmed so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 4:09 PM, D.Z said:

Messing around with the Pro-Wrestling 2 on PS1.

Simple-1500-Series-Vol-052-The-Wrestler-

Is the the one that’s a Japanese budget version of one of the Yukes WWF PS1 games?

Listening to Norton on Jericho’s pod has me itching to fire up Power Move Pro Wrestling (King Ogg!) or Toukon Retsuden 3 on my modded PS Classic.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

The game is similar to those PS1 WWF Smackdown games. Except certain features and stuff aren't in like tag matches and backstages and entrances, but several exclusive gimmicks matches and match customizing are only in The Pro Wrestling 2. The game also has the body limb damage system, the short back and forth strike exchange thing and the standing still to counter the running strike animation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Is the the one that’s a Japanese budget version of one of the Yukes WWF PS1 games?

Listening to Norton on Jericho’s pod has me itching to fire up Power Move Pro Wrestling (King Ogg!) or Toukon Retsuden 3 on my modded PS Classic.

AREYA FIFTAYWAAAHN

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the topic of best wrestling video games, I don’t think I ever dedicated more time to a game than Day of Reckoning. I feel like if more people played the series and they had the same modding capabilities as No Mercy it would have taken that legendary status that No Mercy or HCTP holds, because to me it was way better than both. It basically had a refined No Mercy engine where you could actually throw people through tables or onto ladders with whatever move you wanted, unlike the PS2 games, and the creation suite was much better. I also loved that you could easily create some Japanese wrestlers with the pre set designs, I learned who Misawa was from the tights pattern in the game. There used to be thing called NoDQ CAW back in the day and tons of CAW leagues that would always run on DOR, it was the golden age of simulation and fan engagement with wrestling games to me. Wrestlemania 19 was also great for this since it was the same engine and had tons of bizarre gimmicks and skyscrapers to throw your opponent off of and whatnot. I would spend weeks recording my own league on VHS tapes to be sent through capture card and edited in god forsaken Windows Movie Maker, and had notebooks full of CAW formulas and booking plans. Those were the days.

• Like 6

I can still remember the day I bought Power Move Pro Wrestling.  There were ZERO good PS1 wrestling games at the time and the game came out of nowhere...I remember reading its name in the "coming soon" binder at Electronics Boutique.  I picked it up at the mall on day 1 and had to work that night, so I had to tide myself over by reading the manual in the car before work.  ?

• Like 3

My first wrestling games were WWF War Zone and WCW vs. The World on the PlayStation for Christmas 1998. One of the best Christmases ever with 2000 getting Smackdown 2: Know Your Role, 2002 getting a PlayStation 2 with Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth/Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Grand Theft Auto III/Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (probably my favourite Christmas ever) and 2003's Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain.

• Like 1