DVDVR Message Board

Rasslin' Video Games

The site or person mentioned does have a youtube with 300k some subscribers which doesn't really mean much since about 20% of those might even watch the videos depending on a ton of things. Also has a board.

So for giggles I downloaded EWR 4.2 and a roster update, since I haven't played it in forever.  I've had such a blast as I forgot how gloriously random rosters can be.  Right now I've got Big R Shimizu feuding with The Proletariat Boar over the heavyweight title and the Maine State Posse fueding with Yujiro and Chase Owens.

I also forgot how weird the development system was in terms of raising people's stats. For grins I signed Mars from the great WWE developmental culling at the start of the game, figuring he wouldn't amount to much.  He spent like a year and half in developmental, longer then some trainees that came after him, and is now the best overall guy on my roster.

I know the game will probably get too repetitive at some point, but for sheer randomness it can't be beat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, AxB said:

Anyone know what this is about? He is a wrestler, so is it a wrestling game?

Shane is a decent guy. He was an MMA fighter and then became a wrester. First was known as "Shane in ya face"  realized (probably too late) that it was a bad name and changed to "Savage Gentleman Victor Benjamin"    He was also the Jack of Hearts in Chikara recently.  You might have saw he was married last year to Lady Frost and Mick Foley officiated the wedding. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, GojiColin said:

So for giggles I downloaded EWR 4.2 and a roster update, since I haven't played it in forever.  I've had such a blast as I forgot how gloriously random rosters can be.  Right now I've got Big R Shimizu feuding with The Proletariat Boar over the heavyweight title and the Maine State Posse fueding with Yujiro and Chase Owens.

I also forgot how weird the development system was in terms of raising people's stats. For grins I signed Mars from the great WWE developmental culling at the start of the game, figuring he wouldn't amount to much.  He spent like a year and half in developmental, longer then some trainees that came after him, and is now the best overall guy on my roster.

I know the game will probably get too repetitive at some point, but for sheer randomness it can't be beat.

Where do you go to get roster updates?

37 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Thanks! And sorry for another basic question but once you download a roster, how do you load it into your game?

No problem, so once you've downloaded the zip file, have it extract into your EWR directory.  It'll overwrite whatever you might already have for data, so you might want to make a backup copy of your data.  After that just launch the game and you should be good.

• Like 1

So Natsume Championship Wrestling is a fucking blast to play.  It didn't take long to get the hang of grapple mechanics as it reminded me a bit of Fire Pro.  But man once you get it it's aces.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 8:17 PM, GojiColin said:

No problem, so once you've downloaded the zip file, have it extract into your EWR directory.  It'll overwrite whatever you might already have for data, so you might want to make a backup copy of your data.  After that just launch the game and you should be good.

Thanks again! I have a fed going that I started back in 2003. Didn't want to overwrite that so copied the files to another location and then pasted the updated year's data into that directory and it worked perfectly. Appreciate the help.

Played a little WWE 2K19 last night.  Probably my favorite WWE game. Roster is huge, gameplay is decent, and most of the glitches are amusing rather than maddening.  

Did see a Royal Rumble end with the a Curtis Axel 2015 finish.  Last three wrestlers were Kofi, Roman, and AJ Styles.  Roman threw Kofi out, then immediately climbed out of the ring - through the middle rope, irrc - and did the "Oh man, I can't believe I was eliminated" sulk.  Then he attacked Kofi and walked to the back. 

The game went on for awhile with only AJ in the ring (or onscreen), then the match just randomly ended and AJ was declared the winner.

Even Roman fears AJ.

Edited by Doc Townsend
corrected a typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

So Natsume Championship Wrestling is a fucking blast to play.  It didn't take long to get the hang of grapple mechanics as it reminded me a bit of Fire Pro.  But man once you get it it's aces.

Oh man, it’s a great fucking wrestling game. Especially the original All Japan version of the game. It’s gameplay might actually be better than the very popular Super Fire Pro X. But it’s kinda neglected because of its small roster. It’s got some great little touches, like the inability to submit people, just like in the real All Japan, or the poorly attended house shows when you play the promoter mode. 

Also should get credit for creating the 2.9(And the forgotten 2.5) count in literal form. And as mentioned I think also had the first promoter mode in a wrestling game of this very type. I’ve never seen any evidence to dispute these claims of mine yet.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was a big fan of WCW vs the World on the PS One and then got really into all the SmackDown games for the PSone and PS2. I didn’t really like any of the PS3 versions. I did dig FirePro for PS2.
I just bought a PS4 Pro after not gaming for about 6 years as a consolation for NYCC being canceled this year. I’ve heard WWE2K19 was good but 2K20 sucks, is this true? What wrestling game would you recommend for the PS4?

Thanks in advance!

30 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Just curious, why is 19 so much better than 20, did they change the engine?

Nope.  Just the opposite.  20 seems to play almost exactly the same as 19, with virtually no obvious improvements.   In fact, 20 manages to be mostly the same but worse in several respects.  

The main problem with 20 is that is seems very unpolished.  Most of the issues and bugs that appeared in earlier games returned at 20.  Game-breaking bugs were frequent, even after patches (they sometimes seemed to get worse after being patched). On top of that, quite a few players (and reviewers) thought the character models looked worse, lighting looked worse, collision detection was somehow worse, AI was bad, etc.  I'm not sure about collision detection being worse, but, yeah, graphics seemed to take a step back.  Character models looked better to me in 2K19 and the game frequently has this brown gritty look to it that reminds me of a lot of PS2 games (and some poor PS3 titles). 

Watch the IGN review.  It runs through the laundry list of complaints and delivers an amusingly brutal assessment of the gameplay.  The review score was a 4.3 out of 10.  My general impression of the game was that they didn't put much effort into fixing the longstanding issues and didn't put enough time into polishing and optimizing what they do have.  

As for Fire Pro World, if you're looking for a physical edition, go with Day 1 edition.  I think the Day One Edition was the only retail edition sold in the US.  Never seen any mention of a vanilla physical edition for sale anywhere.

If you're going digital, go with the Deluxe Edition if you want the dlc released for the game.  I'm not certain it includes parts craft and move craft (they're not mentioned in descriptions), but I'm assuming we can take Troma's word for it.  There's enough dlc in the deluxe package to make it worth the cost regardless.

Parts Craft is a tool for making/uploading custom parts.   Move craft is a create-a-move tool.  

For additional background on the 2k19 vs 2k20 issue, Yukes didn't develop 2k20 and 2K handled it, so they were working with an engine that's pretty much the same since the OG Smackdown games (and probably the original Japanese ones too) and the Yukes team probably knew all the little ins and outs of the code and how to avoid most of the bugs. Not all the bugs because what's a 2K sports game without bugs?

• Like 2

Also, they tried to make the game while Yukes was making 2k19, so 2k20 is an updated 2k18 with none of the fixes Yukes implemented on 2k19.

And yes, take my word for it on Firepro since Spike never updated the listing of what was included in the pass, or believe what you want and waste your money.  Your choice.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 2

What kind of game do you think Yukes is making right now? Are they allowed to use their engine or do you think 2k owns that shit? Starting from the ground up for the next gen may be interesting. Maybe they do something very cartoony instead? But it'll be nice to have Fire Pro and hopefully some legitimate competition for 2k from Yukes and AEW. 

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

The deluxe edition is.  It has parts craft and move craft included even though it doesn't tell you that.

Is there a physical version of that or only the $90!!! version I see in the PlayStation store? I see GameStop has the Day one edition brand new for $22. Is there really a huge difference? This almost $70 we’re talking about and I’ll play it here and there for fun.

1 hour ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Is there a physical version of that or only the $90!!! version I see in the PlayStation store? I see GameStop has the Day one edition brand new for $22. Is there really a huge difference? This almost $70 we’re talking about and I’ll play it here and there for fun.

If you aren't that hardcore about it, don't get it, but it'll lock you out of downloading new wrestlers that use the parts/moves.

I don't think they did a physical deluxe in the United States.

It goes on sale a lot digitally so you could always wait for that too.

• Like 2