DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/6/2020

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well to be fair AEW is putting out a good show, especially this week, and it seems like it’s satisfying their audience.

This was easily the best show of the Covid-19 era. It felt like a breath of fresh air with the returns of Excalibur, Taz, grumpy JR, Janela, Nyla, and MJF.

1 hour ago, scatterheart said:

I've yet to see a single thing that Joey Janela offers AEW. He's as bad as Havoc. 

I think I may like Havoc in AEW even less than Janela. At least with Janela I think you can mold him into something that works. I don't know if the same thing can be said for Havoc.

18 hours ago, Craig H said:

Skipping all of the comments because I've only watched up to Frankie vs Mox, but Janela fucking sucks. I look at so many other people brought up from the indies to work for AEW and Janela looks like he has put in the least amount of effort or work into the ring work, his ring shape, his character, etc.

I've been saying this since the first time I saw him work. Dude is the hottest of garbage. Ima try not to drift too far into Cornette territory, but it sucks that actual legitimate looking workers have to sell for that dude. 

• Like 2

Considering the whole world is in a holding pattern right now, I won't fault AEW for some of their booking choices right now too much. 

Like Moxley vs. Brodie Lee during an empty arena era isn't the worst idea. And what I mean by that, you don't want to waste a bigger program or bigger matchup until you can at least start getting some fans back in there, which could still be for a while yet.

I mean does anyone expect some miracle cure to show up in the next month or so? Doubt it.

The golf cart/Sammy spot was brilliant. IMHO it wasn't supposed to make sense. I thought it was goofy and funny in a good way. 

• Like 1

I feel bad for Janela. I'm sure having to show up to work with your ex-girlfriend who got engaged to someone else you work with is not fun. 

Joey Janela, Spring Break Promoter >>>> Joey Janela actual professional wrestler. They need to find a way to flesh out his character on television.

Main event was great. Cody not coming to save his wife, or even cutting a promo about it later was a missed opportunity.

Jericho should be doing something more important than a Matt Hardy feud. Perhaps a Le Sex Gods tag title run to help him get Sammy over before another challenge at the world title.

• Like 4

So the show was really helped by having a crowd even if it's a sparsely populated one of whoever. It's easy for me to say that since I'm nowhere near the arena or area.

I'm sure the NXT shows would come off better with people in the PC making some noise. Probably not at this level though.

I don't think I've seen enough of Janela to feel one way or the other. As a person that only watches Dynamite, there's a lot of people in AEW that really haven't been given something to really make you say yay or nay, IMO of course.

One of the things I really liked about the Georgia shows was that some of those less featured workers got chances to work and establish something. Like Spears is a mid-card heel and it's established, and that's OK (maybe not to him personally). Kip and Jimmy got to do something, they're not going to shoot up the card, but at least you know more about them. Best Friends came off great. I really got to notice that Austin Gunn didn't get his dad's height gene.

So we're not getting The Bucks for a while. And maybe not Hangman? I didn't look to see if there were spoilers or anything else.

Also, the shot of whoever that jobber that lost to Nyla that had the sunset and the palm trees in the background was pretty dope.

If we get an AEW video game, the intro needs to have a recreation of Sammy getting run down, like the semi truck scene in the I think WCW/NWO World Tour.

1 minute ago, Ramo2653 said:

If we get an AEW video game, the intro needs to have a recreation of Sammy getting run down, like the semi truck scene in the I think WCW/NWO World Tour.

?

chris charlton on Twitter: "The mystery Hummer was one thing, my ...

Slight modifications needed to transform that guy into Matt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

This is pretty much the same comment that summed Janela up for me months ago.  Is this kind of a reposting here, or did you sneak that one away from another poster?  Or is it all a coincidence?  

Reposted...I made that comment then and now.

re: Janela, he was one of the first "no name indie" guys that i was curious about and interested to see. well, 6 months in, and what we've seen has been very mediocre and forgettable. i think it's due to physique, lack of identifiable character, lack of psychology, and sloppy ringwork. i know that all sounds like a giant insult, but ALL of those things are able to be improved and/or learned. i sincerely hope Joey can find a way to make some much needed adjustments, because there's a good character in there and i would love to see what the end result is.

14 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think I may like Havoc in AEW even less than Janela. At least with Janela I think you can mold him into something that works. I don't know if the same thing can be said for Havoc.

Yep.  You can work a sleazebag gimmick at any age.  Havoc already looks too old to be working whatever that goth/emo/edgelord 1997 Hot Topic gimmick is supposed to be.

• Like 1