DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/6/2020

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Nothing better than telling someone they've misunderstood your perspective, and then failing to state what your perspective actually is, is there?

If you'd actually like it now, you're welcome to it.

In addition to the aforementioned so-so athleticism, his look isn't ready for primetime. I know some people are writing that criticism off as him looking like a beach bum, but I find that explanation to be charitable. He's a short guy in unflattering tights with a poor physique being presented as a guy who can trade blows with top guys. If he's in the gym more these days then good for him, I hope it makes a difference eventually. But right now, he's really not much to look at. And not in a good way that enhances the act. I think there ways to look like trash if you have other attributes that work for you on a wrestling show. He doesn't have those.

While others have noted he's been underwhelming in straight up one-on-one stuff, I don't think it stops there. I've been led to believe that hardcore stuff is one of his strengths. He's been given a few showcases himself in that style match against Omega, Moxley, and Page so far, and I found the matches to be lacking. Long and exhaustive, but ultimately forgettable. In the case of Mox and Omega, it was too clear they were a level above him and were being charitable. It just didn't click with me to see guys killing each other for something that didn't feel like it was achieving the desired result of elevating this weirdo who insists on sticking his belly out.

You brought up other promotions and Spring Break. Maybe he's good there. I don't know. Like a lot of people, I'm fine judging someone solely by what ends up on my television. And even you've acknowledged that's been underwhelming. So why not leave it at that?

I'm sure I don't need to repeat Craig's objections to Cornette. If you want to beat up on Corny, fine. Don't put that on every one of Joey's detractors. 

I guess I could also take issue with the suggestion that people dislike Joey because others love him. Makes his critics sound deranged. I don't get it. But we should probably avoid that pointless slapfight. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Huh. Ok thanks for the perspectives. I'm catching up on some of these wrestlers. Some of these dudes I didn't know beyond names and reputations. I got time for at least a few more weeks so maybe I'll go down the youtube rabbit hole.

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

I think we're on a trajectory where we can build to a big Archer vs Mox match later this year

Is Cody cool with being the upper-midcard guy that heels beat on the way to Moxley? 

I once saw Janela take a monkey flip while sitting in a chair and landed it pretty good.  I think he's a little better than he gets credit for and is perfectly passable in his role in a company that employs Kip Sabian, who is the very definition of a replacement level player.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

@Rocco Why Janella talk?  Because he's on TV giving his opponents hard battles whilst looking like he has no business being even remotely competitive.  It makes his opponents look weak to sell anything for him.  And because his best attribute (his mic skills) are not being utilizied.  

Yes I'm sure Cody's drawing power is forever ruined for having a competitive match with Joey Janela.  How does someone have to look exactly to have a competitive match with Cody Rhodes?    

• Like 1

In fairness to Janela, prior to the pandemic, he had clearly been putting effort into getting in better shape and tanning.  I guess he hasn’t been able to go to the gym in a while, because he looked like his old self last night.  And, really, embracing that look might be the best thing for him, because I don’t think he’s ever going to be a body guy.  But right now, he’s stuck in in-between land, and it’s not working for him or anybody else.

Really, I think he’s just not made for this stage.  His wheelhouse is “gonzo Indy wrestling” and I don’t think that translates to the product AEW is putting on the air.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Stuff about Joey Janela

For a guy who doesn't agree with Jim Cornette, you really agree with Jim Cornette quite a lot. You phrase it a lot more respectfully, but what you posted is his entire argument.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Kip Sabian, who is the very definition of a replacement level player.

At least he shaved the fucking beard. You don't wear a beard if you have a mohawk. Just... no. 

EDIT: Wait, I'm thinking of Shawn Spears. Pretty much same on the totem pole though

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

For a guy who doesn't agree with Jim Cornette, you really agree with Jim Cornette quite a lot. You phrase it a lot more respectfully, but what you posted is his entire argument.

Shit, did I just out myself as being Brian Last? 

Really though, I didn't say I don't agree with Cornette. I'm saying my feelings on Joey have nothing to do with Corny. If you'd like to play the "Cornette has an influence on the wider conversation" game, you can. You seem to think something about my outlook and I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

I really dug the Nyla squash this week. That swanton was scary though. Cool refresher on the various women contenders too, I'm excited to see them back. Brandi's promo was on point as well and a feud between her and Britt could be a lot of fun so long as they don't try to make it too ring based.

Taz and Darby is a weird pairing (if that's what's happening) but it makes sense to counter Arn in Cody's corner.

• Like 1

Ok so lets see.  A to bang on and old trope, Omega can throw good punches. B}  I used to laugh at Jericho on the Mt Rushmore but his late 40s run is Rick Flair esc. C} Im glad to see all of Inner Circle again. Even Jake Hager.

37 minutes ago, Picklesnbeer said:

Im glad to see all of Inner Circle again. Even Jake Hager.

I don't like Hager one bit but even I'll admit to liking the big goof when the band's all together.  It was nice to see that and also their name on the stadium board.  I can't be the only wishing they fought for a brief time on the field but I can see why that couldn't happen.

I liked the show a lot.  Nyla was strong in her promo and that squash and damnit I missed her.  I didn't mind Cody/Janela or Moz/Kazarian but both seemed like foregone conclusions to me so I could only get so much invested in them.  As for the main event it was a blast though I do question the idea of Hardy losing in his debut, especially as Damascus.  I'd rather he do the match as regular Matt and lose then when it's time to go next-level do a match where Damascus comes out to play.  And I need to look back but it seems like everytime there's a tag against Le Sex Gods they always win.  Don't know how but I would have liked it if Hardy and Kenny won instead.  But despite that I still got a kick out of the match and the costume changes.   And holy bats Sami running for his life an getting hit by the cart will never not be funny.  He's quickly becoming the MVP of the show with stuff like this.

Lastly, I know that Bucks are sitting out since Nick's wife gave birth.  But the way JR mentioned Hangman dealing with COVID-19 stuff it sure sounded worse than it like is.  I don't know if he became a dad recently (none of my business really) but at least spin it in a way where you can say he'll be back at some point.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Dude, that's not fair. Don't put that on anyone. It's not like he was calling Janela any names or anything like that. He typed out a detailed response to you explaining why he doesn't like Janela. Just because it may match some of what Cornette has said about Janela, and to be fair, I only know of the names Cornette has called Janela, doesn't mean he agrees with Cornette. We're all capable of having fully formed opinions.

• Like 1