DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/6/2020

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So is Pineapple Pete (sugar dunkerton) the Cheeseburger of AEW?

It seems he got signed. 

I wonder what came first, Jericho saying Pineapple Pete, or Suge coming up with it? They really fell into a good name there if Jericho came up with it.

2 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

They had a live crowd?

Yes, but I’m not sure if those are just fans, or friends and family of the crew. I’m going to assume friends and family the crew, as well as the football team.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

They had a live crowd?

A small one, likely just friends and family of people in AEW, but behind the hard cam there were people that clearly weren't wrestlers. Two little kids and their dad (?) were visible when Jericho and Hardy were brawling in the stands.

I don't think the way they knocked out Brandi was contrived or whatever. Britt continued her gimmick from the Georgia tapings of hitting face wrestlers with her shoe - this time, she hit Brandi's client. She retaliated, Britt jumped the barricade and attacked Brandi after the match, laid her out with Jake's finisher, and put her into the ring. It made sense within what they've been doing the past few weeks.

What I hope doesn't happen is that Britt is put into a program with Brandi, because oh god no.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I can't get out of this thread.

They just announced that Santana & Ortiz will face Omega & Hardy next week. That'll be fun, but at this point I don't know if I want to see Hardy in anything resembling a straight wrestling match.

• Like 1

What a main event! That might be my favorite match from this promotion to date.

Jericho really is a star-maker, the fact that Pineapple Pete is sooooo over is amazing (in a great way) and I'm so happy for him.

Who was that dude that was cheering for Janella? He was my favorite part of the show (up until the main event).

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

That main event was fun as hell. I am sure many will question a choice of a big crowd brawl in your first show with a crowd given all that's going on. I won't go there - I just enjoyed the match. Sammy made that golf cart look like Brock Lesnar on that bump. Holy shit son. Ending image was top notch.

The match was fun and proved Sammy is the best guy on tv these days. Right up there with Asuka.  That bump off the golf cart was nuts.

With that said, I'll go there. That match was a bad look. I get that they tested everyone and the test came back negative apparently. It's a bad look to have a lot of people that close together not have masks on. Some did but people like Billy Gunn and Hager did not. If they are going to have guys just be around ringside without masks on, they should just go ahead and let fans in since it's Florida.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A_K said:

Brodie taking an L and dropping the D.O thereafter would be sweet. Masked goofs the only mark on the show. Lot of fun otherwise.

They'll turn on him eventually and run him out and he'll return with a hobo army.

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

That main event was fun as hell. I am sure many will question a choice of a big crowd brawl in your first show with a crowd given all that's going on. I won't go there - I just enjoyed the match. Sammy made that golf cart look like Brock Lesnar on that bump. Holy shit son. Ending image was top notch.

Double post

Edited by Tim Evans
Double post

5 minutes ago, Tim Evans said:

It's a bad look to have a lot of people that close together not have masks on. Some did but people like Billy Gunn and Hager did not. If they are going to have guys just be around ringside without masks on, they should just go ahead and let fans in since it's Florida.

"Who's kids are those?"

Skipping all of the comments because I've only watched up to Frankie vs Mox, but Janela fucking sucks. I look at so many other people brought up from the indies to work for AEW and Janela looks like he has put in the least amount of effort or work into the ring work, his ring shape, his character, etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

So is Pineapple Pete (sugar dunkerton) the Cheeseburger of AEW?

Thought that was Jebailey.  He's freer than usual right now anyways.

AEW did test everyone before the show- they said everyone was negative, so maybe they felt more confident about it?

Edited by alstein

Main event started off a bit slow but got FUCKING INSANE once it went backstage.  I have no idea why Sammy didn't dive to the side to avoid the golf cart, but then again I have never run for my life from someone trying to kill me with a golf cart. 

I share Casey's concern about Matt's booking.  He needs to be used sparingly and probably shouldn't be in anything other than crazy ass matches with ridiculous stipulations.

Nyla Rose squash was pretty awesome but the best part was Kris & Shida staring DAGGERS into the ring.  Their combined hate almost took a physical form..  I approve of Nyla braiding her hair so she can better channel Awesome Kong only far more mobile.  Nyla's swanton was a thing of beauty and adds yet another possible finish spot to her arsenal.  God bless the enhancement talent for eating all of those power bombs.  I hope she got paid in cash and didn't sign a medical waiver.

Rest of the card was okay.  Nothing outstanding but nothing terribly awful either.

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, Picklesnbeer said:

Hey so help me out. Why is Joey Janela so hated? He's a dime store 1996 Jericho.  He's fine if generally average.

People hate him because other people love him. He had some great matches in CZW, GCW and Beyond, fans of those promotions started saying he was this super charismatic great worker, and then he showed up in AEW and was underwhelming.

• Like 2

Great show.  My only real complaint was airng a MJF promo video (with really shitty green screen) and then going back to the arena after commercial for another MJF promo.  Not to mention the weirdness of "I'm coming back next week," followed by him being on the show  few minutes later.  LOVED the Burberry PPE, though.

In the long shots of the stage, you could see Excalibur was wearing shorts with his announcing suit.  Business up top, party down below.

I really liked the guys in the streetfight showing up in proper streetfight attire.  It makes them come off like real people instead of WWE action figures who are always in their standard issue gear.

LOL @ Sammy running in a straight line from the golf cart like it's Prometheus.

I'm glad they're acknowledging it that Darby fucked up and pinned himself last week.  That's so awesome.

I hope FUCKING NAILED IT becomes AEW's "SUCH GOOD SHIT PAL."  But in a good way.

That jobber in the Nyla Rose match sold like a motherfucker.

As others have said, awesome job by Hardy changing gear and identities mid match.

Damn, really good Spears promo vignette.  Who knew?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7