DVDVR Message Board

ANIMAL CROSSING: New Horizons

SirSmUgly

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

AC update trailer

Thank goodness, we have been going nuts trying to get the last few types of flowers that we don't have already.  Hopefully Lief's will carry them at some point.  

That's pretty damn cool.  It almost makes me wonder what would happen if we tweeted the code to Adam Page or Brandon Cutler who are both playing the game.  If either or both stopped by then we'd be ecstatic.

Speaking of friend codes I'm not playing the game but my wife's friend code is 1210-6956-6321.  If any of you want to visit her island I can let her know as she normally doesn't have that option on.  As for plants and stuff I don't know what in particular she has but like with before if you need anything in particular I can see if she has it or not.

I thought the Hangman plays Animal Crossing thing was a rib? Like, his Wife might be playing it, but he didn't know what the in-game currency was.

Just now, AxB said:

I thought the Hangman plays Animal Crossing thing was a rib? Like, his Wife might be playing it, but he didn't know what the in-game currency was.

It could very well be.  I guess chalk that up to wishful thinking on our part especially after that short video he did on Twitter.  But Brandon does play it so we'd still be thrilled if he stopped by.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, Casey said:

I've had SoR4 on my Switch wishlist for a minute now. I'm just curious if it's like the Beat 'Em Up Bundle, where you can save your progress. That's all I really hate about side scrolling beat 'em up games - if you quit the game, you have to start over. It was a welcome surprise to discover that the Bundle let you save and you started off in the level where you saved. I've beaten 3 of the games so far in there, but then I got Animal Crossing, and, well, yeah....

Unrelated but fuck Tom Nook.

Fuckin' Tom Nook. I saved up 198k Bells and outright purchased my first home upgrade. Second home upgrade costs nearly 350k Bells!!! Jesus Christ. I'm not made of money. I'd love to being doing anything other than constantly grinding for hours in ACNH. I've seen people post pictures online where they created a wrestling arena and I'm like, how do I get to that point? 

And I'm a terrible dad. On Sunday morning my daughter bought about 50k in Turnips. I always play ACNH at night so I change the time zone to Pacific Time just so I can complete quests where I have to talk to my neighbors, go to the store, etc. I didn't realize going back in time turns Turnips rotten immediately. So my daughter starts playing on Monday afternoon and is like, "Dad! All of my Turnips are rotten! What happened?!" Oops.

56 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuckin' Tom Nook. I saved up 198k Bells and outright purchased my first home upgrade. Second home upgrade costs nearly 350k Bells!!! Jesus Christ. I'm not made of money. I'd love to being doing anything other than constantly grinding for hours in ACNH. I've seen people post pictures online where they created a wrestling arena and I'm like, how do I get to that point? 

And I'm a terrible dad. On Sunday morning my daughter bought about 50k in Turnips. I always play ACNH at night so I change the time zone to Pacific Time just so I can complete quests where I have to talk to my neighbors, go to the store, etc. I didn't realize going back in time turns Turnips rotten immediately. So my daughter starts playing on Monday afternoon and is like, "Dad! All of my Turnips are rotten! What happened?!" Oops.

I got tights and a matching mask the other day so now I have to find all the wrestling arena stuff.  There are also wrestler statuettes in multiple colors to collect, so I'm trying to find all of those.

Everybody I've seen who has big money has either gone heavy into turnips or doing the tarantula island trick and I don't have the patience for either so I'm just trucking along slowly.  I think my current loan is 700-some thousand bells and it'll probably take me a couple of weeks to pay it off.

I'm not sure what the tarantula island trick is, but I do know that catching tarantulas is the biggest pain in the ass. For me it is anyway because I can rarely get the timing right. I think I've caught all of 2 tarantulas and I probably see one every other day.

As for the wrestling stuff, I did wind up getting a recipe from a neighbor for metal guardrails. The bike rack looking kind. And they're blue so they'll look good around the ring. A couple people on the AEW subreddit were trading recipes for different colored turnbuckle pads, but that's way above my head at this point.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

I got one part (out of 4) for the wrestling ring last night. I got it from a ghost on my island.

Son of a bitch. All the ghosts ever give me are wallpaper or floors. Not joking. I've only ever received either of those items from them and it doesn't matter if I choose something new or something expensive. I figured that's all the ghosts would give you so I just gave up after my 5th or 6th floor variation.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Son of a bitch. All the ghosts ever give me are wallpaper or floors. Not joking. I've only ever received either of those items from them and it doesn't matter if I choose something new or something expensive. I figured that's all the ghosts would give you so I just gave up after my 5th or 6th floor variation.

I chose something expensive, and that's what I got. Weird. Maybe it varies game-to-game or something.

You need the upgraded Nooks for the wrestling/boxing ring to start showing up.

I got a red corner and a blue corner, so my arena room is rocking 3 blue corners and 1 red until the white shows up.  I have the bell and a couple of the wrestling statues, a bunch of folding chairs and a shitty looking table so it's coming along.

I have seen people who have terraformed the arena into the 2nd/3rd levels of their island, which looks amazing but I want to wait until I get all the pieces to even attempt that.  

Right now I am focusing on grinding fishing to upgrade my house because I'm out of storage space and it kills me not to save EVERYTHING just in case I'll need it one day.  

Edited by CSC

I like how the first upgrade to your actual house is just expanding the existing room A LITTLE BIT, and it's like 190K+ bells. What a fucking asshole. When do I start getting more actual rooms?

And to add another thing to the "Wow, Tom is an asshole" pile - all of these new residents get fully furnished houses from the get-go, meanwhile I started with a tent, and have to buy/make my furniture?! Fuck off. Is this game supposed to teach kids how capitalism sucks and CEOs are mainly rich assholes who exploit labor? When do I get to unionize my island, goddamnit.

• Haha 1

Tom Nook gives you an interest-free home loan that you don't have to pay back on a schedule, so if that's the type of capitalism he's for, then I want to live in that capitalist society. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

I like how the first upgrade to your actual house is just expanding the existing room A LITTLE BIT, and it's like 190K+ bells. What a fucking asshole. When do I start getting more actual rooms?

And to add another thing to the "Wow, Tom is an asshole" pile - all of these new residents get fully furnished houses from the get-go, meanwhile I started with a tent, and have to buy/make my furniture?! Fuck off. Is this game supposed to teach kids how capitalism sucks and CEOs are mainly rich assholes who exploit labor? When do I get to unionize my island, goddamnit.

Not only do they get fully furnished houses, but every time we get a new resident and then go check our island rating with Isabelle, she tells me the town needs more fences so every one of those ingrates has gotten a beautiful fenced in front yard to enjoy thanks to my hard work. 

Edited by CSC
  • Haha 1

I legit don't think I have ever watched as many streams of a game I probably will never play in Animal Crossing

Of course the longer this lockdown goes - I might end up trying to find a couple of hundred bucks and getting a Switch Light.

(Since there is no way I am getting my son's Switch during this time.)

23 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Tom Nook gives you an interest-free home loan that you don't have to pay back on a schedule, so if that's the type of capitalism he's for, then I want to live in that capitalist society. 

That's great and all, but he reduced the interest rate on savings accounts so fuck him. Also, my daughter and I live on the same island on our separate Switch profiles. Her's is the main profile. Whenever I ask him what I should do next he's like, "Uh, I don't know, why don't you go talk to SugrDstroy" and I'm thinking, well, I fucking can't because she's sleeping and two, while we can play co-op, the co-op is stupid and it's not like my daughter's character ever becomes an NPC I can actually talk to. So his advice to me is basically just brushing me off because I'm not the main profile. 

One advantage to co op is that you both can buy Art from Red when he is there. I think also you can both water flowers to make them grow quicker. (You can tell if they get more sparkly after watering)

The funniest thing  I have seen is watching Andre from GameXplain visit his mom's island and it turns out she has two of the most requested/popular villagers (Raymond and Judy). The chat went crazy when he ran into them. 

I showed up at the Town Hall to get my May Day ticket from Tom Nook. My wife and I have a stereo and microphone on a stand right in front of the plaza, and I got to enjoy Bob taking a break from sweeping the plaza to sing "Forest Life" into the mic. 

It was pretty dope. 

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I legit don't think I have ever watched as many streams of a game I probably will never play in Animal Crossing

Of course the longer this lockdown goes - I might end up trying to find a couple of hundred bucks and getting a Switch Light.

(Since there is no way I am getting my son's Switch during this time.)

If there's anything I've learned from trying to play the switch in handheld mode is that I have terrible old man eyes and I'm so glad we sprung the extra $100 for the full version of the Switch as opposed to the handheld.