DVDVR Message Board

The Raw is Worth the Reward - 5/4/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Alexander I would believe. I think Ricochet is one of those dudes locked in for life. They have to see money in him or at least know damn well someone else is going to make easy money off of Ricochet.

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Alexander I would believe. I think Ricochet is one of those dudes locked in for life. They have to see money in him or at least know damn well someone else is going to make easy money off of Ricochet.

The only reason they will not release Ricochet is to keep him from AEW (Who even now would sign him in a heartbeat). 

• Like 1

Konnan, on his podcast, always says that Nia Jax looks like she just rolled out of bed when she is walking to the ring, boy was he 100% right tonight.  She applied like 1% effort when pushing the rope over. 

Lashley in full length tights just seems weird.

AJ was solid gold.

I know that a lot of people will know who TMDK are but to a whole lot of people it might look like Ricochet and Alexander just lost to a couple of ‘local talents’.

Having caught up with Impact, I much prefer their handling of the empty arena format better than Raw.  But then Impact has had a lot more practice over the years I suppose.

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

The only reason they will not release Ricochet is to keep him from AEW (Who even now would sign him in a heartbeat). 

Yeah, I will never get my Prince Puma / Pentagon Jr. rematch from LU because WWE won't release Ricochet so that AEW can snatch him up.

They'll pay him to sit at home first.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So the new wrestling conspiracy theory I guess  is that Roman Reigns is getting the Benoit treatment after they showed Rollins winning the MITB without showing Reigns once including the pin fall.  

I mean, the way the video was edited clearly wanted people to think Rollins beat Lesnar

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

So the new wrestling conspiracy theory I guess  is that Roman Reigns is getting the Benoit treatment after they showed Rollins winning the MITB without showing Reigns once including the pin fall.  

I kinda understand Vince not wanting to mention Roman's name too heavily since there's no way to know when or if he'll be back,, but the way they're going out of their way not to mention him makes me think there is more to it.  

I assume Vince doesn't want to remind people that his biggest star (?) is choosing to sit out during the pandemic, which would invite mainstream media to start wondering if WWE should be taping shows.  

On the other hand, it's Vince so it could easily be something petty like not wanting to portray one of his top stars as vulnerable and  less than superhuman, or simply mad that Roman isn't putting the company first.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vince at least somewhat feels Roman should ignore the health risk and try to put the company on his back during this difficult time.

Have AOP been seen since the empty arena shows started?

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
lots of typos

I brought up Roman being written out of everything last week and that's still continuing. It's too much to be a coincidence at some point and there's been plenty of other top of the card wrestlers who get talked about while they're out. With Roman, it's like he doesn't even exist. Even still, I don't doubt he'll get pushed as the face of the company when he does return.

As for AOP, they're on the shelf because either Akam or Rezar tore their bicep in a match 2 or 3 months ago. They're probably still going to be out for however many months.

Did they promote the Reigns special at all last night?

EDIT: Where is this FOX special at? Both Fox Sports channels have nothing related to Reigns airing (Best of Edge, Lesnar, Backstage), and the main FOX channel has the Masked Singer for 2 hours then the local news.

Edited by Casey

10 PM on FS1 is not "primetime." That's going to get maybe 200k viewers.

As for what @ComingToAmerica said, that's giving WWE WAAAAAAY too much credit for being creative. They are never, ever that creative nor do they ever book that long term because Vince rewrites everything nearly every week. I don't know why you or anyone else ever thinks WWE has some grand master plan for wrestlers or situations like this. It never happens. It's good for your own personal head cannon, but it's never what happens in reality. The time or era to say "let's wait and see" with regards to WWE booking is long, long gone. We've all been burned repeatedly.

To put things another way, when Roman announced he had leukemia again and had to step away, they shot an angle that very night to have Ambrose turn on Rollins when it should have been a unifying moment for the Shield members with Roman taking time off. In the weeks after that, rarely would they not mention Roman's name. Did anyone forget the bitching about how much they would bring up Roman each week or use Roman for storyline purposes or just to keep his name out there while he was sick? Our memories can't be that poor. Flash forward to now and he's not featured in the Make a Wish stuff even though aside from Cena he was the new Make a Wish guy for the company, they edited him out of the WM31 video, his name isn't mentioned at all, for the change to Braun vs Goldberg they never once mentioned Roman's name and if you only watched that one episode of SmackDown you would think it was Braun vs Goldberg all along, he's not included in merch promos, and so on.

Not to mention that Vince is one of the most weirdly vindictive persons I can think of and has a very strange view when it comes to thinking of how strong someone is or isn't.

And again, sooner or later Roman is going to return and they'll be right back to booking Roman in a prominent role. I highly, highly doubt they're going to bury him, but I wouldn't be shocked that if for the time being this is Vince's retaliation for Roman walking away when the company needed him the most. Vince is a weird guy. I'll buy that version of what's happening before I ever buy that this is some sort of long game that WWE is playing with Roman because WWE doesn't have a long game.

• Like 1

On a related note, when Roman does return, it would be a good time for him to finally change up his attire a little bit and have some new or modified music.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And again, sooner or later Roman is going to return and they'll be right back to booking Roman in a prominent role. I highly, highly doubt they're going to bury him, but I wouldn't be shocked that if for the time being this is Vince's retaliation for Roman walking away when the company needed him the most. Vince is a weird guy. I'll buy that version of what's happening before I ever buy that this is some sort of long game that WWE is playing with Roman because WWE doesn't have a long game.

I think most people realize it is direct retaliation for him bailing on Mania. Heck - that was obvious the moment that Reigns had to publicly defend himself when it came out he wasn't doing the Goldberg match and the company remained silent the entire time.

I was being somewhat facetious when saying it was a political hit (that was more a callback to Dylan's long time theory about that).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I assume Vince doesn't want to remind people that his biggest star (?) is choosing to sit out during the pandemic, which would invite mainstream media to start wondering if WWE should be taping shows.  

On the other hand, it's Vince so it could easily be something petty like not wanting to portray one of his top stars as vulnerable and  less than superhuman, or simply mad that Roman isn't putting the company first.  I wouldn't be surprised if Vince at least somewhat feels Roman should ignore the health risk and try to put the company on his back during this difficult time.

I think it has a lot to do with Vince being petty. But also Roman made a choice and went against the company. The last thing Vince wants is people suddenly developing free will and realizing "hey, I don't really have to be here during all this". Plus wrestling in general is a messed up business where guys will "for the good of the business" work when they shouldn't. I can totally believe that Vince is all "Well, I guess Roman doesn't have the heart to be the face of the company". And you know his loyal yes men won't dare say otherwise.