DVDVR Message Board

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje (5/9/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Right. He now uses his footwork to stay in leg kicking range and then time his power shots perfectly the second his opponent enters punching range. He's become such a smart fighter when before he relied on his chin and heart. His footwork isn't just offensive anymore, it's complete. He's a complete fighter. I can't wait to see him fight Khabib, as with his wrestling and power, he stands a better chance than Ferguson.

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There has to be some serious long-term ramifications for all of the damage he's taken.

It reminded me of when Brian Ortega kept eating Max Holloway's fists. I kept thinking "Please let this poor young man go to sleep so he fight again." And he hasn't fought since.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

It reminded me of when Brian Ortega kept eating Max Holloway's fists. I kept thinking "Please let this poor young man go to sleep so he fight again." And he hasn't fought since.

You know the fight that makes me think about a fighter being better off if they were knocked out?  Aldo vs. Holloway 1.  Holloway took some huge shots in the first round of that fight, and eventually won, but he wasn't right for a while afterwards.  

• Sad 1

Re: footwork and cutting off the cage

In WSOF and early in his UFC run, Justin would allow guys space to operate and basically have dominion just so guys wouldn't be afraid to approach him. In a lot of cases, that would work against and guys who probably shouldn't have been competitive against him where getting in solid shots. I think what he has worked on with Wittman is to not give away the play. By that I mean he is a little bit less predictable with his movement, and breaking up any and all momentum his opponent has. On top of that, he has a natural instinct of knowing where his opponent is going to move and when they plan to do it. Some of his lunging back and forth is still ill advised, but he has less wasted motion than previous fights. As a result, he doesn't have to worry about his opponent being there which in turn makes him take less unnecessary changes. Wittman was extremely on point when he calmed him down, and gave him advice after round two. All he was doing was giving Ferguson a chance to win. He had the fight under control. He could take off 10 or 15 percent off his aggression, and do much better. Guess what? It worked out.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

If it is a matter of money with Cejudo, why not give that guy a big raise? I don't know what kind of drawing power he has, but I mean, don't you want to keep a guy like that fighting like you for a while? He's the first Olympic gold medalist to win a UFC title. He finishes fights. He's bilingual and Mexican American, a market the UFC has constantly tried to chase and Cain Velasquez constantly let them down in. Like, pay that man his money. Lock him down and make him happy.

The disappointment of Cruz's loss to Cejudo immediately retiring to Gaethje stealing the show. What a whirlwind of events. Hell of a card overall. Really enjoyed the prelims, especially Oleinik's big win and Esparza/Waterson. Looking forward to the ramped up schedule of another show in a few days. 

• Sad 1

Doesn't sound like Francis Ngannou is very happy about this Stipe/Cormier situation. "Nothing is scheduled."  And Cormier is campaigning for UFC to strip Stipe, LOL. 

EDIT:

Cruz said on the post-fight show that the referee smelled like alcohol and cigarettes.

Edited by TheVileOne

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Also, that was a total lack of class by Dominick Cruz tonight. None of what he says are part of the rules of MMA. The fighter getting pummeled doesn't decide when the fight gets stopped. Just no humility at all in defeat. Take the loss.

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't interview guys who just lost by KO. Even if they're your broadcast colleague.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/ufc-249-fighters-sign-covid-19-waiver-includes-non-disparagement-clause-310611

If running the event posed no threat to people's health and safety why were people forced to sign an agreement that says if they got infected they couldn't sue the company? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, MavsFan77 said:

This post could look really bad come Sunday morning, but to hell with it. I’m predicting Justin knocks Tony the f out. I’ll say in the third round too.

Okay so I was off by two rounds. ? I’m glad Justin won, and shut up Tony once and for all. 

But even I will admit Ngannou had the best night of anyone. If I’m DC I retire immediately to guarantee Dana doesn’t stick him with Francis since who knows when Stipe will finally return.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/ufc-news/ufc-249-fighters-sign-covid-19-waiver-includes-non-disparagement-clause-310611

If running the event posed no threat to people's health and safety why were people forced to sign an agreement that says if they got infected they couldn't sue the company? 

For the same reason labels on gasoline cans advise you not to drink the gasoline?

It's not usual for a contract to ask you waive your right to sue for a variety of unlikely and likely circumstances.  I imagine the company's attorneys insisted on it.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

13 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

For the same reason labels on gasoline cans advise you not to drink the gasoline?

It's not usual for a contract to ask you waive your right to sue for a variety of unlikely and likely circumstances.  I imagine the company's attorneys insisted on it.

I mean it's not like the tests only have a 65% accuracy rate or something...

29 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

It'd probably be best if you stop watching for awhile.  You obviously don't support  the decision to run shows.

This is an absurd take.  I'm about as big of an MMA fan that exists.  I've been watching religiously since UFC 43.  I have every Pride show on DVD.  I used to stay up all night to watch Dream and Sengoku shows.  I also think the testing procedures for last night's show were laughable, and needlessly put the fighters, trainers, and announcers in danger.  Jacare Souza tested positive after knowingly being in contact with someone who was likely infected.  That means everyone he was around from whoever he travelled with, to whoever he trained with, to whoever he interacted with at the hotel, is possibly infected.  The thing that makes this disease so dangerous isn't that it's deadly to 1%of the people who have it.  The danger is that it seems to affect everyone differently.  Some people have it and have no symptoms whatsoever.  Some people get it and fucking die.  The danger in having events like this are that the best possible outcome is nothing happens, the worst possible outcome is that they infect a bunch of people and someone dies unnecessarily.  I love MMA, it's legitmately one of my favorite things, but if one person dies because they put on this show, I'll be in the front of the line saying how idiotic it is to have MMA shows.  Having MMA fights is a great, fun thing, but it's not worth anyone's health and safety.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Having MMA fights is a great, fun thing, but it's not worth anyone's health and safety.

You had me entirely convinced until the last sentence, when the sport itself is a danger to anybody participating in fighting and training even with protective gear. That at least is something people are aware of and accept the danger of, even though we continue to learn more about brain trauma. But, yeah, in reality, there's no fucking way the show should've happened in the first place. They can dress it up as being heroic and bringing back normalcy and entertainment, but it's predominantly about money.

22 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

That's why I called it a rumor.  Shouldn't I be on your ignore list?

And shouldn’t I be on yours? Especially since I’m not the one posting stupid rumors that I made up myself about the President of UFC. Or I could post pure baseless speculation like this gem too:

On 5/9/2020 at 9:56 AM, Lawful Metal said:

Dana White gonna fuck around and shut two companies down

Because I’m sure he’s going to get All Elite Wrestling somehow shut down right? Since if the governor of Florida was to do that he’d also have to not allow WWE to run there. Even if someone from AEW were to test positive (which is highly doubtful) they won’t be shut down. 

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

You had me entirely convinced until the last sentence, when the sport itself is a danger to anybody participating in fighting and training even with protective gear. That at least is something people are aware of and accept the danger of, even though we continue to learn more about brain trauma. But, yeah, in reality, there's no fucking way the show should've happened in the first place. They can dress it up as being heroic and bringing back normalcy and entertainment, but it's predominantly about money.

I'm 100% fine with the health risks for people who decide they want to fight for a living, but they aren't the only people potentially affected by this.  The people who work at a hotel full of people who normally wouldn't be there.  All the people on all the planes it took for all of them to get there and back.  All the people who work for the commissions, the cameramen, the people who have to run all the wires and shit for the broadcast.  None of those people signed up to risk their health for our entertainment.  

• Like 4

Yup, that's when it comes down to knowledge of risk/danger. Agree fully. There's a clear difference but I do want to highlight that we probably watched several people suffer severe damage to their well being last night, particularly  Ferguson and Rozenstruik for entertainment. I'm obviously okay with it but there's always a sense of guilt when watching combat sports, like a lesser version of when I eat meat. I know what I'm doing is morally wrong, but I still do it.

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yup, that's when it comes down to knowledge of risk/danger. Agree fully. There's a clear difference but I do want to highlight that we probably watched several people suffer severe damage to their well being last night, particularly  Ferguson and Rozenstruik for entertainment. I'm obviously okay with it but there's always a sense of guilt when watching combat sports, like a lesser version of when I eat meat. I know what I'm doing is morally wrong, but I still do it.

Tony Ferguson is the one who I have the most mixed feelings about.  I love watching him fight, but it's pretty clear that he has some issues that need to be addressed, and fighting might be adding extra stress to a foundation that was never up to code from the start.  

So Cruz is claiming that the ref smelled of alcohol and cigarettes and wondered if he could have overruled the ref in the match

Yeah that should be easy to prove.  And given that the winner just "retired", Dana probably wouldn't mind that investigation 

• Like 1

So, I guess in two weeks we’ll find out if Jacare infected any other fighters (or hotel employees or UFC employees or AEW folks at the hotel). 

or are those contracts so iron clad they can’t say anything that would make their “safety protocols” look bad?

• Like 1