DVDVR Message Board

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje (5/9/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I don't know if there are two people on the planet who I'd like to watch fight each other than Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.  Two dudes who watched The Terminator and decided, I want to be him when I grow up.

• Like 1

Very few have a strange of a career arc than one Rashad Holloway. He went from solid boxing prospect to solid boxing prospect who was kinda an underachiever to not fighting at all to just outright disappearing. Then, I look up a few years ago and he's Tony Ferguson's boxing coach. Just so goddamn random.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Justin Gaethje doesn't have an offspeed pitch. It's all heaters.

The difference between these two is that Gaethje wants to hurt you with everything, Ferguson wants to hit you with everything.  

This is so fucked up. Gaethje just unleashed hell on Ferguson for 9 minutes and I think everybody feels like Tony is going to win still.

lol, even his coach is telling him to take something off. They're still technical but it's everything. Tennis grunts and all.

I think so. His foot movement has improved consistently in the UFC from where I saw him way too much be the American Zombie wading forward throwing bombs with his hands by his ears no head movement. He did a great job of controlling the distance and hurting Tony with lightning quick haymakers every time Tony tried to engage.

• Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

I think so. His foot movement has improved consistently in the UFC from where I saw him way too much be the American Zombie wading forward throwing bombs with his hands by his ears no head movement. He did a great job of controlling the distance and hurting Tony with lightning quick haymakers every time Tony tried to engage.

That's exactly the image I always have of Gaethje. I hadn't noticed how much his movement had improved until this fight. That's been the biggest surprise of the fight for me tbh.

Gaethje is so tired but he's got that one shot power even though Tony's inhuman, it's getting close to a breaking point. Tony still has energy despite being rocked and taking so much.

Just now, Setsuna said:

That's exactly the image I always have of Gaethje. I hadn't noticed how much his movement had improved until this fight. That's been the biggest surprise of the fight for me tbh.

Gaethje's footwork has always been pretty damn good though, the way he's always been able to walk people down and cut off the cage has been elite.  The reason his fights have been so entertaining is that everyone knows exactly what he wants to do, and there is nothing they can do to get away from him.  Eventually they have to try to bite down and try to out tough him, and they can't.

He'd get fucking eaten up by guys who wouldn't last a year in the UFC while he was in WSOF though. He was super flat footed and moved forward. He's still flat footed but he's still light on his feet despite that and he's agile.

I can see this version of Gaethje doing about the best anybody has ever done against Khabib. Feel for Tony but he took the fight.

Edited by Oyaji

Just now, jaedmc said:

Tony Ferguson would probably be better off if his chin was weaker.

There has to be some serious long-term ramifications for all of the damage he's taken.

• Like 1

I give Henry Cejudo's retirement 6-8 months. Based on what Joe Rogan says, it sounds like he wanted more money and he didn't get the bigger pay he wanted. Maybe now Dana White will be willing to open up the check book for Cejudo. We shall see.

Also, that was a total lack of class by Dominick Cruz tonight. None of what he says are part of the rules of MMA. The fighter getting pummeled doesn't decide when the fight gets stopped. Just no humility at all in defeat. Take the loss.

The dude got cracked and he ate 11 unprotected shots. Even if he was trying to get back up, a fight can still get stopped from that position. You don't have to be completely unconscious for a fight to be stopped either.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

He'd get fucking eaten up by guys who wouldn't last a year in the UFC while he was in WSOF though. He was super flat footed and moved forward. He's still flat footed but he's still light on his feet despite that and he's agile.

I can see this version of Gaethje doing about the best anybody has ever done against Khabib. Feel for Tony but he took the fight.

He'd get eaten up because he was marching people down with little regard for defense.  It was always more important for him to get into his range than for him to get away from his opponent.  His ability to nullify everyone else's footwork is what makes his footwork elite.  He doesn't mind eating some shots to land some shots, but he hasn't fought a single person who has been able to get away from him.  He's tracked them all down, cut them off, and made them stand in front of him to see who's tougher.  His footwork is exactly what it should have been for his style.  He's becoming a more careful defensive fighter, but his footwork has been top of the line ever since I've been watching him.  

• Like 1