DVDVR Message Board

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje (5/9/2020) - Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

96541198_539516126923780_549722483223796

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje 
May 9, 2020
Jacksonville, FL (VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena)

Interim UFC Lightweight Championship: Tony Ferguson (155) vs. Justin Gaethje (155) - Gaethje, TKO (strikes), R5 (3:39)
UFC Bantamweight Championship: Henry Cejudo © (135) vs. Dominick Cruz (135) (first defense) - Cejudo, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:58)
Francis Ngannou (261.5) vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik (260) - Ngannou, KO (punches), R1 (0:20)
Jeremy Stephens (150.5) vs. Calvin Kattar (146) - Kattar, TKO (elbows and punches), R2 (2:42)
Greg Hardy (265.5) vs. Yorgan De Castro (262) - Hardy, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Donald Cerrone (171) vs. Anthony Pettis (170.5) - Pettis, DEC (unanimous)
Oleksiy Oliynyk (227.5) vs. Fabrício Werdum (243) - Oliynyk, DEC (split)
Carla Esparza (115.5) vs. Michelle Waterson (115) - Esparza, DEC (split)
Vicente Luque (170) vs. Niko Price (170.5) - Luque, TKO (doctor stoppage due to cut), R3 (3:37)

ESPN/ESPN+/Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Bryce Mitchell (145.5) vs. Charles Rosa (146) - Mitchell, DEC (unanimous)
Ryan Spann (206) vs. Sam Alvey (205) - Spann, DEC (split)

Buyrate: 700,000

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Francis Ngannou
Performance of the Night: Justin Gaethje
Fight of the Night: Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Is this really going to happen?  Or is it gonna get shut down right before? 

Probably will happen, now that the Florida Athletic Commission has given it the green light and ESPN is advertising it.

Edited by AA484

42 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

What is Greg Hardy doing on the main card when those fighters on the prelims are like, name peeps?

The probably figure they will have more eyes on this card since nothing else is happening in sports and Hardy is a recognizable name to football fans.  Plus a lot of people hate him and want to see him lose.

8 hours ago, AA484 said:

The probably figure they will have more eyes on this card since nothing else is happening in sports and Hardy is a recognizable name to football fans.  Plus a lot of people hate him and want to see him lose.

I'm not sure if one has to do with another. He ain't exactly Floyd Mayweather drawing a million buys a show.

They've always positioned him to be on the main card, and technically he's been in co-main events twice. For this one, he was always gonna be on the main card. This fight was there on the original 249 lineup on the main card.

They were gonna load up on the ESPN portion of the card (the Cerrone and Waterson fights were automatically there) and whatever fit on the main card for PPV that wasn't a title fight was gonna be slotted as they saw fit. They're (at least Dana is) really high on De Castro coming off the Contender Series last summer so that pretty much locked it in especially considering Hardy hasn't fought in the prelims ever. Style wise, it's going to be more palatable than a Olynyk vs. Werdum fight. The one move that they could have made is put Bryce Mitchell on ESPN, but Mitchell and the Luque/Price potential barnburner are likely hooks to get people on ESPN+. Spann/Alvey is the weakest fight on paper so it was gonna be on as the curtain jerker, but they like Alvey and Spann is another Contender Series guy they're currently high on.

It's going to be so surreal to see two of the best blood and guts fighters the sport has ever seen in there exchanging in an orgy of violence to no. audience. reaction. ?

Has anybody tried to employ heck of leg kicks v Tony Ferguson? I know I always seem to underestimate Gaethje but I don't know if you can one punch Tony and Ferguson is just so much more versatile and mobile than Gaethje. Both are the toughest dudes and Tony isn't into winning cleanly, so I'm sure he'll get wobbled and cut open and put us all in panic mode before taking it, but I do have a hard time seeing Gaethje winning. I'm cool either way, though the world needs to see Ferguson vs. Khabib, gosh darn it!

Edited by Oyaji

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

It's going to be so surreal to see two of the best blood and guts fighters the sport has ever seen in there exchanging in an orgy of violence to no. audience. reaction. ?

Mick Maynard provided the crowd noise for the show in Brasilia if you remember. Maybe Cormier can help him out from his designated commentary social distancing table.

Has anybody tried to employ heck of leg kicks v Tony Ferguson? I know I always seem to underestimate Gaethje but I don't know if you can one punch Tony and Ferguson is just so much more versatile and mobile than Gaethje. Both are the toughest dudes and Tony isn't into winning cleanly, so I'm sure he'll get wobbled and cut open and put us all in panic mode before taking it, but I do have a hard time seeing Gaethje winning. I'm cool either way, though the world needs to see Ferguson vs. Khabib, gosh darn it!

That is what makes it a great fight on paper. Gaethje dominates early and then Ferguson comes on strong. Now the question is what happens after that. For some reason, I don't see Gaethje wilting that easily.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/5/8/21251881/ufc-249-weigh-in-results-jeremy-stephens-misses-weight-again

Stephens missed weight. It's his third time, but I'm willing to give him a pass because of all this. 

Per Ariel Helwani, all the title competitors are on weight. Hopefully, everyone is safe and healthy and doesn't get sick.

EDIT:

Not confirmed yet if Kattar vs. Stephens is moving forward.

Edited by TheVileOne

Jeremy Stephens has been in the UFC long enough where he has missed weight three times, and there is a several year gap (of 5-6 yrs) between all three (2009, 2015, and now 2020).  One in the Spike era, one in the Fox era, and one in the ESPN era.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco