DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

Frankie Kazarian: I'm just gonna say it - it's a fuckin' drone! This is the drizzling shits!

Cody: Hey hey hey, I'm an atheist too. I agree with you, it's fuckin' dumb. We coulda got him one for $900, they're everywhere, kids have drones!

Matt Hardy: SILENCE! Show some respect!

Matt Jackson: Are you even in the Elite anymore? Shut your mouth!

Cody: Are you even at a funeral? Look what you're fuckin' wearing, Tommy Bhama.

Nick Jackson: Shut up you atheist!

Hahahahahaha, holy shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Frankie could retire the Do Ya segment right now because I promise it will never be better than that one.

Also big ups to Private Party for the San Andrea's reference!

Not an Inner Circle jerk but an actual circle? We'll see where it goes ?

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus, I love this fucking shit with all the “local” talent. Tape Dark starting at 6 PM to 8 PM when they go back to arenas. “Bell time” for fans should be 7 PM. So you won’t tire out fans with 2-hours of enhancement matches. Just tell the home audience that the empty arena matches are “try outs”, or something. Taping these before the show feels like the right move. Leaving fans with two AEW Dark matches at the end of the taping always feels like too much.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

On 5/25/2020 at 10:21 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Sabian needs a makeover, and personality change bad. His heel starter gear has zero potential.

What does it say about the guy when everything he has was Joey Janella's first?   "Super Bad"  says it all. It's a super bad gimmick and he is boring in the ring and average at best on the mic.  Penelope is really cool though and can go in the ring. Hoping she gets some more chances on Dynamite. 

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

Why wouldn't you want fans for the squash/enhancement matches? I'm sure when things get back to normal, the AEW paying customers will be happy with as much live action as they can get.

A four hour TV taping is too tiring. 3 hours with one hour being exclusive non attended dark matches is the perfect amount. But say they want to do this much on a weekly bases with Dark, and don’t want to burn out the fans. Maybe set aside a few enhancement matches for a 6 PM to 7 PM taping, and put the AEW talent Vs. AEW talent on from 7 PM to 8 PM. I’m sure more fans will show up regardless closer to the time the main show starts like most wrestling shows, and same with the UFC, so you really don’t have to create an artificial deterrent. But regardless how they do it. I think if they tape a lot so guys can get there reps in without giving away matches, then film a lot of this stuff before the show. My suggestion was just to avoid burning out the crowd before Dynamite starts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Kip Sabian reminds me of a flippier Alex Wright who did keto and lost way too much weight.

And I don't think Sabian is all that bad. I think he's pretty decent and comes off as a smug dick. Him being with Penelope makes that whole deal work. The one thing he does need is a different gimmick because Superbad is fucking shitty, the leather jacket that has Superbad painted on it with what looks like White Out looks fucking shitty, and I think I said this back with one of AEW's first shows, but his ring gear looks like every generic CAW ever. Calling himself Superbad makes me think of McLovin. That's not good.

I will say this though, I do like the dynamic where he's basically more of a valet for Penelope that also happens to wrestle than the typical reverse of that where it's the woman who is a valet that sometimes wrestles. Penelope is where the money is at with that couple and Sabian being a smarmy dick and interfering on Penelope's behalf only helps both of them more. Just, ugh, ditch that leather jacket and that Superbad name. And the Marty Scurll glasses. And the Joey Ryan lollipop. 

29 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Tyson is gonna make an appearance on Dynamite this week too. Someone's getting KTFO and my money is on Sammy Guevara

I actually thought prior to the PPV that they could build to a worked boxing match between MJF Vs. Tyson. That’s the most natural act you can pair with Tyson if you want to do something with him, and have a guy that can carry the trash talking to hype up the paying audience before the match.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Interesting that Caleb Konley is going to be on Dark tonight, given his recent history with FTR. But it's also not surprising since he's been at most tapings when Kris Statlander is working.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

A four hour TV taping is too tiring. 3 hours with one hour being the dark matches is the perfect amount. But say they want to do this much on a weekly bases with Dark, and don’t want to burn out the fans. Maybe set aside a few enhancement matches for a 6 PM to 7 PM taping, and put the AEW talent Vs. AEW talent on from 7 PM to 8 PM. I’m sure more fans will show up regardless closer to the time the main show starts like most wrestling shows, and same with the UFC, so you really don’t have to create an artificial deterrent. But regardless how they do it. I think if they tape a lot so guys can get there reps in without giving away matches, then film a lot of this stuff before the show. My suggestion was just to avoid burning out the crowd before Dynamite starts.

PPVs are usually 4 hours including the preshow...crowds seen to be fine for those. I don't think AEW fans will feel fatigued by a 4 hour Dark/Dynamite taping, given most cities will have 1, maybe 2 shows in a calendar year.

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

PPVs are usually 4 hours including the preshow...crowds seen to be fine for those. I don't think AEW fans will feel fatigued by a 4 hour Dark/Dynamite taping, given most cities will have 1, maybe 2 shows in a calendar year.

TV shows are different though. Only 2 hours of a taping are the real draw.

Hey if you guys are watching Dark, check out at about 40 minutes in. Brady Pierce looks like somebody significant in the future. I was expecting a pretty boy stiff, but he looked really smooth as an enhancement.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Austin Gunn really loves this stuff, guys. Also, you know how on that Joey Janela vs Zandig death bump where Zandig broke his back, and Joey only hurt his thumb? Similar deal with how Sammy got hurt in the Stadium.

• Like 1

I think Dark features the first count-out in AEW history.

EDIT: Yep, it does, Excalibur and Taz confirmed it. I forgot that they had their first DQ during the PAC/Omega iron man match, too.

Edited by Casey

Speaking of that count out loss. I’m assuming this will lead to a one on one between the two for the right for one win in AEW. Possibly at a pay-per-view. Fun little B-Show angle, BTW. On another note, Allie appeared, and there was no mention of “The Bunny” on commentary. So that could be it for that trio. Wonder if that means Blade & Butcher will be repackaged. They did look weirdly out of character at the PPV, with their “Casual” look.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

FABOO ANDRE IS BACK.

And unfortunately,  he lost. But I was super happy to see him again!
I really thought Cutler was finally going to win one. Hopefully this sets up a few between him and Avalon so that one of them finally gets a win.
Loved the reference to Botchamania/Maffew.
Loved seeing Kiss and Janella team together again, they looked really really good, and they had celebration posed planed out.
I liked Mr. Grim, he's agile for a big dude, but unfortunately drew Wardlow.
Totally agree with Tazz on Cabana, dude is super disingenuous and shady.
Still really digging the local talent, especially that Wrestlin' Kris Kristofferson.

Never thought I'd hear Jun Akiyama and Capt. Lou Albano referenced in the same setting, but there you go.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

On another note, Allie appeared, and there was no mention of “The Bunny” on commentary. So that could be it for that trio. Wonder if that means Blade & Butcher will be repackaged. 

Hopefully they don't get repackaged, but Allie is separated from them. Since their AEW debut I've thought "The Butcher and the Blade" was an awesome name for a tag team, but that when you add "The Bunny" it just sounds ridiculous. What does a bunny have to do with a butcher and a blade? Other than you need all three to make hasenpfeffer?