DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

On 5/20/2020 at 3:51 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I will say for all the flak about Alan Angels getting a lot against Omega  he's really good.  I liked the Omega match and really liked his showing against Sammy.  Forgot the other guy he went against before that but felt he looked there too.  Which basically means I would love to see get an AEW contract and see him work his way up from job guy to something more substantial.

I'd be fine with the current batch of job guys becoming the equivalent of AEW's Young Lions.   Let them job for a couple of years , send them somewhere for a year to learn a new style, then redebut them.

• Like 3

If this is being discussed in the DoN thread my apologies, Tony Khan said in the media scrum last night that Fyter Fest next month was gonna be the London Debut, Covid sucks dude.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-double-or-nothing-notes-fyter-fest-injury-updates-brian-cage-311756

Edited by Web Conn

33 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

If this is being discussed in the DoN thread my apologies, Tony Khan said in the media scrum last night that Fyter Fest next month was gonna be the London Debut, Covid sucks dude.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-double-or-nothing-notes-fyter-fest-injury-updates-brian-cage-311756

No, it was being discussed in this thread. One page ago. ?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's Ted Turner's mansion.

Actually I just checked from doing a little digging on Google. It’s really supposed to be this...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/atlanta.curbed.com/platform/amp/2018/8/8/17661400/cnn-turner-ted-midtown-atlanta-tara-on-techwood

When I arrived in Atlanta for my first job out of college in the spring of 1984, I didn’t realize that my workplace would be a formidable structure referred to by some as “Tara on Techwood,” a nod to the fictional plantation in the blockbuster 1936 novel-turned-film, Gone With the Wind. I was just happy to have graduated so I could start my career in television news. From the outside, the building where I reported for duty on the graveyard shift at 1050 Techwood Drive looked more like a stately Southern plantation than what it had become, the location of the world’s first all-news channel.

Picture1.png
...We also were on high alert, never knowing when we might encounter founder Ted Turner, for he kept a place on the top floor and was infamous for padding about in his bathrobe in the middle of the night. What’s more, on weekends we grew accustomed to the thuds above us as Georgia Championship Wrestling was taped in the WTBS studio.

27486_001_0060_CC_2_.0.jpg

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

There's a lot of cool old shit in the basement of the Turner mansion. It's still there. Last I went down there, about 5 years ago, there were some WCW artifacts.

• Like 1

I decided to re-watch AEW from the beginning, and I’m starting with Double or Nothing 2019 Buy-In. Excalibur’s voice is so high. It’s like watching early ECW with a young Joey. Sammy putting over Sabian was a weird choice. I wonder if that was Sammy’s decision, because as soon as they get to Dynamite, they want Sammy as the guy. 

It’s surprisingly good honestly. I remember hating it the first time I watched it. But in retrospect it’s a great showcase for what Sammy can do as a personality, and yes Sammy can go too in the ring. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Sammy wasn't that well known at the time either, was he?  And he was still wearing the panda head to the ring so it was kinda hard to take him seriously.

Question: Is QT Marshall a friend of Cody's or something?  He's gotten more of a rub than jtts normally get and Melter mentioned his name over the weekend.  Apparently, he helped put together the Stadium Stampede match

Sammy was a well-established guy on the US indy scene before AEW.  He wasn’t a huge name or anything, but if you kept up with the scene, you knew who he was.  Sabian was pretty much just a lower-tier UK guy beforehand, with no significant US presence.  But he was fortunate to get booked on an ROH UK tour in 2018, which put him on the Elite’s radar.

QT and Cody are friends, but, perhaps more relevantly, he works in the AEW front office.  They also own the Nightmare Factory wrestling school together.

1 minute ago, EVA said:

QT and Cody are friends, but, perhaps more relevantly, he works in the AEW front office.  They also own the Nightmare Factory wrestling school together.

He is also helped provide most of the enhancement talent on these recent shows. Along with WWA4 providing guys too.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Sabian was relatively unknown at the time.  They really tried hard to get him over with the win over Sammy and the draw with Hangman.  It...did not work.

I feel like they intended to push a couple of people early, like Sabian, Private Party, and Sonny Kiss, but for whatever reason, they dropped those pushes.

Makes sense. In that first few months, they were saying "We're looking for fresh talent" all the time. Private Party hadn't been on TV at all, Sammy had been just a guy on Lucha Underground and Kip had been just a guy on WoS. I think the idea with the two of them was, they've got a bit of TV experience but they're underutilised and hungry, so give them a chance and they'll take it. And Sammy's been a huge success, so it was a good idea.

How many AEW wrestlers are now 2-0 at Double or Norhing? Is it just Cody, Hangman and Shida?

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I feel like they intended to push a couple of people early, like Sabian, Private Party, and Sonny Kiss, but for whatever reason, they dropped those pushes.

Private Party and Sonny Kiss are pretty shite. They need to shore up on basic mechanics before anyone could take them seriously.

• Like 1