DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

If ever there were a pure boi to be a straight laced on screen match maker, I'm okay with it being Sting. It does feel awkward when Tony Khan is used sometimes as the match maker. Don't have him show up every time but when there are big shots to be made, Have Sting come on down, like a less frequent James Dillon on Nitro. 

• Like 2

Just make sure he gets the names right. But yeah, Sting being a hype man to announce a big PPV match would be a good use for him. He always had that sales man personality, and well he does sell homes. 

BTW, has anybody seen a house with Steve?

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

If ever there were a pure boi to be a straight laced on screen match maker, I'm okay with it being Sting. It does feel awkward when Tony Khan is used sometimes as the match maker. Don't have him show up every time but when there are big shots to be made, Have Sting come on down, like a less frequent James Dillon on Nitro. 

Agreed, I enjoyed  his short stint in that kind of role in Impact.

I also kinda sorta want to see him work with Jericho in a smoke and mirrors (whoa-oh) type match. I think it could be really fun if there's an audience to play off of. Otherwise, it'd be two older dudes breathing heavily and groaning.

Maybe. I could see Cody wanting to team with Stanger. A friend suggested Sting/DDP vs. Wardlow/MJF but I'd be terrified for those guys taking offense from Wardlow. 

Dude is 61 and looked very limited in his WWE matches which don't feel like that long ago but in reality were five years ago and before the injury he suffered taking the buckle bomb. But he and Jericho are smart enough to work around the limitations I reckon to have something watchable and fun. Then retire and do up the JJ Dillon role. That's what I'd like to see anyway. 

Edited by Oyaji

Britt looked so good in that character building squash match. She’s entering into Jericho territory with her heel persona at this point. Really if you think about it, Jericho was never the best in ring performer in terms of athletic smoothness. He was always the lesser of all the work rate guys in WCW, and got over with character work. We might look back at Britt the same way if she keeps improving. I mean she won’t have the longevity, because she has a real fucking job, but she might still do wrestling on the side if TV/Streaming wrestling doesn’t completely collapse in the future.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Britt looked so good in that character building squash match. She’s entering into Jericho territory with her heel persona at this point. Really if you think about it, Jericho was never the best in ring performer in terms of athletic smoothness. He was always the lesser of all the work rate guys in WCW, and got over with character work. We might look back at Britt the same way if she keeps improving. I mean she won’t have the longevity, because she has a real fucking job, but she might still do wrestling on the side if TV/Streaming wrestling doesn’t completely collapse in the future.

Lesser compared to Malenko/Eddie/Benoit, I don't know if he was worse than the other "workrate" guys in WCW at the time.  Jericho's character work was miles ahead of the other workrate guys except post-injury Eddie.   Britt doesn't have the in-ring chops of Jericho, and women have shorter careers, but she's onto something here.

And yeah, the Tyson thing is not a good look.

Edited by alstein

Lots of (squash) matches announced for Dark again this week. Including this one:

Also, Cody tweeted this a few days ago:

Suge D conspicuous by his absence from the list. So maybe they did sign him?

I looked up my Fite account to see how much I spent on the last PPV: $20 USD. This next one is $40 USD. Interesting. I thought something was weird about such a huge price discrepancy at the time. I'm good.

Oh my god. I think this made me laugh the hardest out of anything from BTE. Here, I typed this out for you all:

Warning: Look guys there's going to be some wind sounds, OK. I can't do anything about it. I'm not god. I cannot stop the wind. I also can't buy a little microphone for my phone because Amazon doesn't exactly ship to wherever the hell in the woods I am. So really you'll just have to deal with it I guess. If it's the worst thing to happen to you this week consider yourself lucky because I got to be good friends with a turtle that I had caught, but I then had to kill and eat him because I think I might be starting to starve to death out here.

• Haha 2