DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

Here is the full blurb

For AEW, the 5/6 show will go live. The show that will air on 5/13 will be taped the next day most likely, but it’ll be taped either on 5/6 or 5/7 either way. They will return on 5/20 and then the crew will stay in Jacksonville from 5/20 to 5/27, doing the 5/20 Dynamite, the 5/23 PPV show and the 5/27 Dynamite show. After that, we’ll see what happens. The people who live in Tampa, Orlando and Atlanta, which is a decent amount of people, will likely go home between tapings but the fly-ins are expected to stay from 5/20 to 5/27 in Jacksonville.

For the last tapings, anyone who didn’t want to be there had that option, plus people in hard-hit places were not brought in, as well as older people. For 5/6, they asked people in hard-hit places like New York and the state of Washington in particular to quarantine for two weeks, which most started doing last week. A much larger talent pool will be used going forward to build the PPV show. Those who don’t want to be there don’t have to be, and the talent based outside the U.S. won’t be able to be on these shows, most notably most of the Japanese women (Hikaru Shida and I believe Riho live in Florida) and other international stars like Bea Priestley, Jamie Hayter, Pac and Pentagon Jr.

• Thanks 1

If you were AEW would you sign Joe Hennig? He’s turning 41 in October and has been JAG (just another guy) on WWE for ten years really. He’s Curts son I think he’s a good wrestler idk if he even got the opportunity reach his full potential in the WWE. The Truple H “feud” did more harm than good if you ask me. I do think he could have a singles run in AEW and this is all if society isn’t too impacted by Covid and there’s many to spend on going to wrestling shows and AEW any of these recent WWE releases.

Its been talked about a lot and Cody tweeted that they weren’t gonna sign Heath Slater and he Slater responded.  I’m gonna talk about it again. Rusev, Hero, Anderson & Gallows, Axel, Purrazzo, Tanarya, and Chioda are the ones I would sign right away.  Tanarya May come out of left field but they need women who have wrestled in television and Tanarya has wrestled on television and from what I’ve seen of her she is pretty good in the ring and has a pretty good look.

Rush is a guy I’d sign but if he does really have an attitude problem idk I’d give him a chance. I’m sure Ryder and Hawkins have an open invite but if there’s an indie scene at the end of all this they are along with Slater (EC3 too) I could see be top draws hardcore fans love em. 

If Johnny Curtis gets released I’d sign him first. He has it WWE may not see it but Curtis could have a run outside of The Machine.

I really honestly think Matt Cardona/Zack Ryder still has potential. I might be in the minority here, but he has more upside than most of the people released.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I would only sign Rusev and The Revival out of everyone released. The rest need time on the indies or elsewhere to reinvent themselves.

Agreed, though I would also add Rowan to serve as a heavy for the Dark Order

AEW should't be picking up Joe Hennig - I think he's maybe got a run in him somewhere and then who knows.

AEW has their guys at this point - there's obviously room on the women's side (and WWE notably only released one), but yeah it's Miro and FTR for now I think.

As for Rowan, I don't think AEW is a hoss product and there's already 3 guys working big man style - getting in a guy who is actually bigger than Archer makes no sense. I'd keep him in my back pocket in case Dark Order is pulled - and I don't think it's a particularly strong gimmick. But not now.

• Like 1

Yeah they should definitely be waiting and prepared to add women from wwe/nxt, but I'd say Rusev, Gallows and Anderson are no brainers. The tag division is so stacked. They just need to boost up the women's division.

Edit: I'm counting ftr as set in stone already. They don't have room to add much but they have to pick up some of this talent. And have room for more women.

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1

Sign Deonna Purrazzo, Sugar Dunkerton, Abadon and Matt Cardona and I'd be a happy camper.

I don't really care about Gallows, Anderson, Rusev, etc.

Kurt Angle would be a huge get as an agent/maybe trainer as well.

I like Cardona, but I think you don't bring him in without a clear idea what to do with him. I suspect he's like a heel run, but so did Spears and ppl don't seem to be enjoying that very much (I like Spears).

I think Gallows & Anderson should come in because it's obvious what you do with them, but no need to do it yet.

Ultimately these guys are likely to be available in a year. An overfilled roster can be deeply problematic.

Ultimately AEW will have to be willing to trim some fat too - I won't name names, but that's a part of the equation here.

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Both unquestionable successes and swung their careers around.

(i understand what you're saying but those are two rather inauspicious examples, right?)

I actually really liked the boxer gimmick when he came back. It was a great look, and he was in great shape. The Sable push eventually got in the way of that character though. 

If he, and Sable took different character paths, I feel like he could’ve at least been a PPV title contender. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

I remember there being an old story about Mero being slated to work Austin at some point in 97/98, which would’ve been huge for him.  But before it could happen, he agreed to the spot where Sable powerbombed him, and Austin immediately vetoed it, because he wasn’t selling for a guy who just got beat up by a woman.

Edited by EVA

36 minutes ago, EVA said:

I remember they’re being an old story about Mero being slated to work Austin at some point in 97/98, which would’ve been huge for him.  But before it could happen, he agreed to the spot where Sable powerbombed him, and Austin immediately vetoed it, because he wasn’t selling for a guy who just got beat up by a woman.

Mero confirmed the story in a video I watched recently, but says he understands Austin's position completely.

Jericho losing to Chyna (not 100% clean mind you) at Survivor Series 1999 was also controversial at the time.

Austin wasn't really into giving anyone much though unless he personally handpicked them though. 

As far as Gallows and Anderson, I don't see where they'd fit in AEW. Just assuming that they are a shoe-in because of the Bullet Club might be naive; We can't assume that everyone who is allied on screen is automatically top mates backstage. Notwithstanding, isn't ROH also being run by the Bullet Club now? They might be more valuable there than in AEW. 

I've never been a fan of Cardona. He feels like one of those WWE lifers who... put it like this. There's what Vince McMahon thinks is good shit, and there's what wrestling fans think is good shit. Sometimes that's the same thing, often they're two very different things. And if a wrestler stays in the WWE too long, they get indoctrinated into trying to get over with Vince, rather than with the fans. Makes sense within that context, because guys who get over on their own generally get fed to Vince projects, but it's a mindset that only serves you within that one company.

So ypu habe a guy who, when he needs to get himself more over, he gets in better visual shape, or gets a new outfit, or a new catchphrase, or starts doing a new pose before one of his moves. But it would never occur to him to get himself over by having a great match or improving in terms of in-ring work. If you see what I mean. I kind of think that's what Spears is dealing with, that's what Cody was dealing with for a while, and I reckon Ryder and Axel probably have that too. That's what hurt TNA when they kept bringing in freshly released WWE talent - the feeling that they're giving TV time and strong pushed to people who are out there trying to please a master they don't even work for. Drew Galloway came into TNA (& indies) trying to be the best TNA wrestler and that got him back in the big company. Aron Rex went to TNA trying to be What Vince Wants and he couldn't even last there. He was out of the biz altogether before Corgan brought him back.

• Like 1

I don't see the appeal in bringing Cardona on board personally. I'm happy to be proven wrong but his style doesn't fit with AEW in my mind. Not that he has to have a thousand near falls or twisting topes or anything but how is he any different from floundering Shawn Spears in the ring and more over what would he add to the company's overall presentation? Not everyone needs to move the needle to be an asset but when you have your pick of the litter, maybe pick the guys that are.

• Like 2

IMO, any of those guys coming in has a value more in their personality versus their ring work similar to Cody. No one of them are bad wrestlers but they're not blowing you away with their work.

I think AEW's roster is pretty full as it is, but if you're thinking about guys who can perform and are good personalities, then Ryder, Rusev and maybe Heath are people I would give a look to. I don't know if the women released were ever really given a chance to show what they can really do. 

I know this is the AEW forum, but I think some of these folks should go to Impact to since they're really good at getting the most out of their people.

• Like 1