DVDVR Message Board

I always was flummoxed by the absolute living examples that the best workers don't make the best teachers, student quality wise, and the reverse as well. Dory Funk Jr.'s school never turned out a breakout star but Johnny Rodz ' gym was a hit factory. The ono-on-one model is much better for training, in my opinion, than a class of 6-12 goofs. 

- RAF, big Java Ruuk fan BTW...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

MVIMG-20200603-052136.jpgIMG-20200603-052142.jpg

This is such genius. Again, thank you Mr. Johnny Legend. "My Dinner With Andre" was the punchline to many a jape back then, and this was Messrs. Kaufman & Blassie's take on it. I still quote from this, usually to a deafening lack of reaction. I had to go into a video r?ental store, get them to order this for me, wait a month or so and PAY RETAIL (probably $40) to be able to own this artifact. Worth it. Works great on first dates.

IMG-20200603-052114.jpg

This has to be a rib, right? 

- RAF

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Dory Funk Jr.'s school never turned out a breakout star

Mickie James is the only name I can think of. It's debatable whether you could add Kurt Angle to the list as he was training with Dory by way of WWF.

The Lou Thesz school I can't even picture. You'd think if anything it would have turned out a wave of mixed martial artists ala Billy Robinson and UWF

On 5/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I always was flummoxed by the absolute living examples that the best workers don't make the best teachers, student quality wise, and the reverse as well.

The only person Ric Flair ever trained was Stan Lane, right?  And I get the impression the only training he did was helping him build his alcohol tolerance.  I mean that is a noble pursuit, but still.

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Cleaning out the basement. The COVIDs. Should this go in the Merch thread? Nah, the are soft and well-worn.

bayareashirt.jpg

SF area, circa early '90s - art by thee great Dan Higgs

CCo-Wshirt.jpg

CCoW, SF/East Coast area (inc. early Tri-State and Eastern Championship Wrestling), RIP - art by thee amazing Bill Salmon, RIP

changolocoshirt.jpg

Chango Loco, ISW/SFLL, late '90s, I lost a hair match to him and all I got was this festive T shirt.

- RAF

Basement Tapes, pt. II, the Quickening:

cactusjackshirt.jpg

I used to have 5 of these at one time. Foley told me that they were WCW's worst seller so he was just given all of them, which he then put back on the merch tables and re-sold. Stains = blood and/or hair dye.

rudebullshirt.jpg

The gem of my hoard. I bought this in FL circa '86 even though the biggest size they had was an M, thus it is hardly worn. RAF was skinny then but still rangy. I have never seen another item with this image. Damn, I dig this.

mrmcmahonshirt.jpg

I want Mr. McMahon to know who I am and respect me. Wearing this shirt probably won't help. May have been a promo with the VKM DVD: 811bp3LyQKL._SY445_.jpg

call me, Vincey,

RAF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Cleaning out the basement. The COVIDs. Should this go in the Merch thread? Nah, the are soft and well-worn.

bayareashirt.jpg

SF area, circa early '90s - art by thee great Dan Higgs

CCo-Wshirt.jpg

CCoW, SF/East Coast area (inc. early Tri-State and Eastern Championship Wrestling), RIP - art by thee amazing Bill Salmon, RIP

changolocoshirt.jpg

Chango Loco, ISW/SFLL, late '90s, I lost a hair match to him and all I got was this festive T shirt.

- RAF

I remember getting Antiseen and Rancid Vat CD's and cassette tapes at the legendary Trash American Style (RIP) in Danbury. The guy who owned the place (Malcom Tent) knew a lot of the Confederacy of Scum guys and GG Allin actually once stayed over at his place after a show. The punchline is that other than putting out a cigarette butt on a couch he didn't do anything crazy or rude and was like you'd expect Daughtry to behave if he crashed at your place.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 10:03 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I've always wanted to read the Abby menu. I wonder what "Abdullah's favorite" was? There's no General Tso's on the menu so I'm throwing my dart in that direction.

Bite your tongue!  The rib basket at Abby's is the fucking bomb!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 9:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

You misread me, I'm not doubting anything on the menu at all. That shit had to be awesome. 

It was great if like me you enjoy ribs with pork chow mein on the side. Not so great was the fact that cabs don't go to that neighborhood after dark. Thankfully we were rescued by Mrs. Abdullah, who kindly gave us a ride back to the hotel in the Abby-van... Sadly, we didn't get to meet the great man (and I use the word "great" in all senses), himself, but at least he called the hotel the next day and spoke with Kathy, kept calling her "sweetie" in his oddly high-pitched voice for such a large man.

• Like 3