DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Hogan vs. HBK, when two unprofessional petulant man-children are in the same match.

Yeah, HBK was pissed that Hogan wouldn't return the job so went out and did that. I can't lie, I find the Big Boot sell funny considering that was always the setup for the Legdrop. The build towards the match also gave us Shawn Michaels heel promo in Montreal. Hope admin don't mind me posting the video. Shame it's not the full version.

Edited by The Natural

I’ve always maintained that Shawn bumped a lot like that during his earlier heel runs and was trying to capture that energy, and that the unprofessional part was really him on Raw the next night cutting the, “I only lost because wrestling is fake lol” promo.

• Like 1

Yet for all the flopping and flying he did throughout the match, I still maintain that Hogan got his revenge in the end because when he saw Michaels finally stay down in position for the leg drop, Hogan took his sweet time milking the ear cups and cheers before finally delivering the leg. 

And yes, as someone that was always more of a Bret Hart fan than a Shawn Michaels fan, I took great joy in HBK finally running into a political force that he couldn't manipulate. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Yet for all the flopping and flying he did throughout the match, I still maintain that Hogan got his revenge in the end because when he saw Michaels finally stay down in position for the leg drop, Hogan took his sweet time milking the ear cups and cheers before finally delivering the leg. 

And yes, as someone that was always more of a Bret Hart fan than a Shawn Michaels fan, I took great joy in HBK finally running into a political force that he couldn't manipulate. 

I've always preferred Bret Hart to Shawn Michaels. You know opinions can change over time? That never has nor will it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I’ve always maintained that Shawn bumped a lot like that during his earlier heel runs and was trying to capture that energy, and that the unprofessional part was really him on Raw the next night cutting the, “I only lost because wrestling is fake lol” promo.

You are the one person in the world who maintains this. The only thing similar to his earlier heel runs was the unprofessional behavior was on full display in the ring as opposed to mostly backstage. 

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Nothing to see here, just the first masked legislator in the history looking for competition in a field.

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

You are the one person in the world who maintains this. The only thing similar to his earlier heel runs was the unprofessional behavior was on full display in the ring as opposed to mostly backstage. 

It was the same way he worked heel against Taker in 97, but it looked even goofier because he wasn’t in the shape to bump that way and Hogan was barely mobile. It’s also the only memorable thing about the match, so his instincts weren’t totally wrong. 

First match on the docket for next week is Claude Montourcy vs Tommy Mann. Mann is a Brit they're calling an American and he has an entry on the Benny Hill wiki site, so that's a thing. 

He's a stocky bruiser able to expertly get a rise out of the crowd here. Montourcy is a pretty typical 50s French babyface, slick, quick, and fiery.

See, slick and quick (and a little annoying actually):

q7kgW0.gif

I love this escape so much:

jZ9XWP.gif

After a couple of minutes of the above, Mann unloads on him. I like the wobbly selling. I included the chinlock for a reason. Much like old British wrestling, you can chain a takedown and a subsequent hold but you can't attack a downed opponent. Mann gets heat by launching the uppercuts/forearms without good cause, but he gets way more by putting on a simple chinlock illegally. That really pissed off the crowd:

jZ9XWl.gif

• Like 2

Out of nowhere takedown followed by a wish-maker:

r8ljLk.gif

The speed and the selling makes this look like a total mugging:

oVg3GA.gif

Huge comeback moment here, but look at the way he hooks the leg under the arm to get the leverage. Also note the Martian in the background:

D1VXyA.gif

@Matt DI haven't said this recently but you're doing a great service by posting these gifs and the associated matches on Youtube or SC.  Thank you very much for that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Konnan reminding everyone that he could really go when he wanted to, back in the day.

I’m thinking that crowd noise may have been just a tad bit sweetened. 

11 minutes ago, Log said:

I’m thinking that crowd noise may have been just a tad bit sweetened. 

I dunno, that seems to be happening in Mexico rather than WCW. And K-Dawg was super-over in Mexico for a good while.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure that doing a sequence that every AAA youngster has probably mastered before their first match, then likely tagging out and gasping for air on the apron should be designated as "really go", but since it's Konnan, we'll take it.

Also, I wasn't aware that his crotch thrust counted as an offensive move

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

I dunno, that seems to be happening in Mexico rather than WCW. And K-Dawg was super-over in Mexico for a good while.

The Festival de Lucha was a WCW taping from Waco, Texas in 1999.

• Thanks 1