DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

49 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

so it's my best friend's birthday tomorrow. He just found out he is going to be a dad as well. I wanted to get him something unique.. For his bday I am looking to have Joel Gertner call him up and do one of his famous intro's.  My buddy is a huge ECW mark.  Good idea?

I don't know how Joel is these days. But all goes well you can't go wrong with that. 

Random sidestep but it does make me wonder if RVD has a Cameo account. Now that would be cool. 

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't know how Joel is these days. But all goes well you can't go wrong with that. 

Random sidestep but it does make me wonder if RVD has a Cameo account. Now that would be cool. 

He's going to do it!!! Joel is awesome. He worked on the Lucha Fest show I helped Sam Adonis out on. Spoke with Joel for about 45 mins after the show. Couldn't have been nicer. We keep in touch on twitter somewhat.  He loved the idea.    

Not sure if RVD has a cameo. I know Graves does and a few others. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He's going to do it!!! Joel is awesome. He worked on the Lucha Fest show I helped Sam Adonis out on. Spoke with Joel for about 45 mins after the show. Couldn't have been nicer. We keep in touch on twitter somewhat.  He loved the idea.    

Nice. I'm sure since you know him to a degree he'll do a good one. 

I'm half tempted to get Big E to do one for a friend of mine. I think she'll love it. 

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

7 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He does. It's $100.

• Like 1

Powerbombs into the turnbuckles are now banned in WWE. Not sure if other moves like german suplex or else to turnbuckles will be banned, but they could eventually ban them too.

28 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I still can't believe moves on the apron haven't been banned yet.

I was thinking that too and was going to post the same thing, but then I also thought that I seem to remember WWE usually gimmicking the LCD side of the ring apron for those with some kind of padding? I feel like I saw that a couple times but I could be wrong

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was thinking that too and was going to post the same thing, but then I also thought that I seem to remember WWE usually gimmicking the LCD side of the ring apron for those with some kind of padding? I feel like I saw that a couple times but I could be wrong

I've heard a theory that it might be the hardest part of the ring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Whenever someone gets slammed on the centre of the mat, it's never pointed out that that's the softest part of the ring, is it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AxB said:

Whenever someone gets slammed on the centre of the mat, it's never pointed out that that's the softest part of the ring, is it?

That's because it's not. The softest part of the ring is where the secret passage The Undertaker crawls out of is.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Tell Davey Boy Smith that.

To be fair, WCW went with a trap door which was dumb as fuck. WWF went with gimmicking the ring so you can cut the canvas open with a box cutter. 

• Like 1

I wonder how they gimmicked the ring so you could cut your way through. Cut planks maybe, that can be slid out from underneath when it's time? Or do you have basically a hole in the ring all night, and tell people to work around it?

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To be fair, WCW went with a trap door which was dumb as fuck. 

How did this even work? Was there a C-shaped seam that was visible the whole night? I've never actually seen that show.

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

I wonder how they gimmicked the ring so you could cut your way through. Cut planks maybe, that can be slid out from underneath when it's time? Or do you have basically a hole in the ring all night, and tell people to work around it?

I know in ECW they told the boys not to bump in a certain area when they were going to do the whole fall through a mat or through the ramp deal. It was probably the same in WCW when Sting came from underneath the ring in 1997. I think because many times they were doing it for the main event in WWF or late in the show and it would be incredibly hard to avoid one spot all night that they made it where whoever was underneath the ring (be it Mankind or Taker) could move the boards etc. out of the way. 

35 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

How did this even work? Was there a C-shaped seam that was visible the whole night? I've never actually seen that show.

They had the trap door for multiple shows when Warrior was there in 1998, which is amazing that more people didn't get badly injured. However, this was when WCW had the very large, nice looking logos that covered roughly 75% of the mat. Later in 1998 (around the time Warrior got there), Nitro switched from plain grayish (sometimes dark blue) mats to ones with the giant Nitro logo on top. I think they made sure you couldn't see the outline of where Warrior was suppose to come from.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ive also heard guys say that mats with logos on them back then often made footing slick and potentially haxardous. 

Boxing (and now MMA) has had this problem for several years. Add in the fact that you have people spilling water on the mat by way of cornermen drenching their respective fighter in water.

Sidenote: I was watching Halloween Havoc 96 (the show where Piper makes his WCW debut) last week. I know it was suppose to be a sight gag, but still. After Hogan wins his match against Savage, they have Giant come out with this ridiculously huge bowl of ice water.  It's so heavy even a man his size is having trouble carrying it. As he tries to slide it in the ring, he spills 3/4 of it on the ring apron and becomes clearly irritated with himself knowing he fucked up the sight gag. When he gets in the ring and drops the remaining water on Hogan so Hogan can do a cartoonish recovery and make goofy faces, it goes over like a fart in church. It wouldn't have been funny if Giant didn't botch it and executed it perfectly. So what the fuck was the point in making a giant mess on the mat? Although it's at the end of the show, Piper still has to come in so he can have a ten minute, awkward back-and-forth with Hogan. Imagine if Piper, a man with notoriously bad hips, makes his WCW debut and then hurts himself slipping on ice water Giant spilled on the mat. That would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Nexus were scheduled to reunite for this year's WrestleMania weekend

https://www.thesportster.com/news/nexus-scheduled-reunite-wrestlemania/

On the one hand, it seems a bit far-fetched that such idea(s) would be real, but it would have been a hell of a thing if true. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me somewhat sad, being something I've hoped and dreamed would happen for years.

Edited by The Green Meanie