DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Guest Edwin
Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

He was so fun to the point that it's been hard for me to get into heavier, bloated Rey with a history of bad knees. Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis from Bash at the Beach '96 is like some shit from a different planet.

Same here. I know there's been folks who say they prefer heavier Rey from WWE and he's had some classics there, such as the Andrade series, but I still prefer the younger and smaller Rey from WCW.

Once he lost his mask in WCW, he changed his style and wasn't the same anymore. Same thing happened to Juvi.

Just now, Edwin said:

Same here. I know there's been folks who say they prefer heavier Rey from WWE and he's had some classics there, such as the Andrade series, but I still prefer the younger and smaller Rey from WCW.

Once he lost his mask in WCW, he changed his style and wasn't the same anymore. Same thing happened to Juvi.

I will say masked Juvi had some off nights. There was a Nitro match from August (I wanna say August 12..w/e Nitro was after Hog Wild) 1996 with Jericho. He blew every move in that match. It wouldn't be a stretch to say the word literally. He was that bad. Then, at Road Wild 1998 after he was unmasked two years later, he had a dynamite match with Jericho. The finish where Malenko (as guest referee) vaults Juvi into a top rope Frankensteiner on Jericho is one of the most breathtaking finishes I've ever seen. Maybe it was the camera angle but holy smokes. Beautiful.

Juvi was a wild man. When he was on, he was dope but I don't even think a coin flip does it justice.

Ultimo was a product of his time but I can't hate a man who had some of the best matches of that time, particularly the Ohtani match from '96. 

I never dug Roid Rey half as much as I did classic Rey and I think classic Rey's greatness is overblown a bit. His spots were incredible for the time, but so many of his matches felt like highlight reels and not a wrestling match. When watching him work with Psicosis, it was akin to Wile E Coyote chasing around the Road Runner. Not my style. Obviously, there are exceptions, but he's not a guy I'd put in my top 20 or anything. Some of the best costumes in wrestling history between the Spiderman and purple bodysuit though.

To be clear: Rey >> Ultimo >> Juvi.

Edited by Oyaji

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Juvi was a wild man. When he was on, he was dope but I don't even think a coin flip does it justice.

Ultimo was a product of his time but I can't hate a man who had some of the best matches of that time, particularly the Ohtani match from '96. 

I never dug Roid Rey half as much as I did classic Rey and I think classic Rey's greatness is overblown a bit. His spots were incredible for the time, but so many of his matches felt like highlight reels and not a wrestling match. When watching him work with Psicosis, it was akin to Wile E Coyote chasing around the Road Runner. Not my style. Obviously, there are exceptions, but he's not a guy I'd put in my top 20 or anything. Some of the best costumes in wrestling history between the Spiderman and purple bodysuit though.

For the second part of that statement..given some of the randomness you got from 1995-1998 WCW due to the growing size of the roster, that was a godsend for the viewer. If I'm watching the Shark vs. Ray Traylor in gimmick #55 or Mongo McMichael vs. one of the members from High Voltage on some random Nitro, a Rey Mysterio match cannot happen fast enough. I'm praying for any and every luchador to come out. 

As for the first part of that statement, I would argue some are still incredible now. I think the best you can get out of Rey from that era is to have him work with someone extremely versatile like a Eddie Guerrero. As much as I really love some of his matches with Psicosis, Eddie made some of it very credible. Don't even watch the Halloween Havoc match. Watch the match from the next PPV (World War 3 1997). Rey blows a few different highspots, but Eddie is so great he makes the blown spots look like they're a part of the match. No awkward standing around or trying to desperately repeat the spot. They're having a wrestling match as opposed to your standard Rey Mysterio showcase.

• Like 1

Yup. Agreed 100%. And I like Psicosis. Eddie was to Rey what Liger was to Sasuke and Ultimo. Somebody with a significant understanding of what makes a match dramatic and can weave those fabulous spots into a narrative that makes sense and is compelling.

Also, I know Eddie was super charismatic in Los Gringos Locos but what happened to him during his time in WCW before his heel turn? He was so bland as a babyface. Even when he turned heel, he got his body language chops back but was not a good promo guy. Then by the time he's in WWE, he's this all time great wrestling actor and promo man. He had a strange, incredible career. I read his book. The depths of his addictions were really bad but I can't imagine those being the reason for it alone.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Guest Edwin
24 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Juice > Ultimate Dragon

Rey's series with Juvi, Psicosis and Eddie are fantastic.

Pretty odd Rey's matches with Juvi were better in ECW than his matches with Psicosis in ECW, but everywhere else Rey's matches with Psicosis were better than his matches with Juvi.

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Ultimo’s gear was pretty sweet, but his shit couldn’t keep up into the 00’s.

I was not a big fan of the holographic chrome look he sported in WWE. He looked like a special #2 pencil you would buy at your school book fair.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Some of the best costumes in wrestling history between the Spiderman and purple bodysuit though.

It's probably just me, but I hate hate Rey's cosplay gear. All of them. I hate when he would bust them out at Wrestlemania. That purple monstrosity actively takes away from the Halloween Havoc match for me.

His regular WCW gear was sweet though.

• Like 2

If Mysterio is wearing some kind of shirt or something instead of just long tights, it feels very weird and out of place to me.

But yeah in general his cosplay shit is a dumpster fire, especially the WWE ones.

I had no idea Roman Reigns was in the new shitty David Spade movie 'The Wrong Missy'.  It's also kinda sad how much more scary and badass he comes across in his minute or two of screentime then he has in the last few years of WWE programming.

58 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was not a big fan of the holographic chrome look he sported in WWE. He looked like a special #2 pencil you would buy at your school book fair.

And he wore nothing else, that I recall. Same in Mexico, and Japan when he went back. I guess you become very protective of your savings account when you get to a certain age, and don’t spend thousands to get new gear made.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Ultimo Dragon gear, ranked:

1) Black

2) Pink

3) Mexican Flag

4) Blue

5) Green

6) Hologram

He had some white gear with the AAA logo on the mask. That one is my personal favorite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He had some white gear with the AAA logo on the mask. That one is my personal favorite.

Great call. I don't know why but Ive always dug when guys have the company logo on their gear ever since I first saw TAKA with the WWF logo on his tights... on ECW TV, naturally

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elizium said:

It's probably just me, but I hate hate Rey's cosplay gear. All of them. I hate when he would bust them out at Wrestlemania. That purple monstrosity actively takes away from the Halloween Havoc match for me.

His regular WCW gear was sweet though.

Slam evil

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He was so fun to the point that it's been hard for me to get into heavier, bloated Rey with a history of bad knees. Rey Mysterio vs Psicosis from Bash at the Beach '96 is like some shit from a different planet.

BATB 96 was the first PPV I had ordered since WMVI.  My friends and I had moved away from wrestling for a while.  I happened to catch the Nitro where Hall debuted, and started watching again.  So, we were all intrigued who the third man was going to be (my friend who never really watched wrestling called it as being Hogan) and decided to watch the show at my house.  We were still kind of getting settled and chatting and stuff when the Rey/Psicosis match started.  A couple minutes in, we were transfixed on the match and losing our minds over the shit they were pulling off.  Hell, even my dad stopped in the room and couldn't look away.  He's always hated wrestling.  You are so right that it was like something from another planet.  An hour later, we were still trying to figure out what we'd just seen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, just drew said:

Getting his teeth kicked in by Dusty's kids while producing zero difference makers on brands that matter? Tell me more....

So none of the people on this list are difference makers?

Roman Reigns

Bray Wyatt

Big E 

Otis (who I don’t consider a main eventer, but still)

Baron Corbin

Seth Rollins

Drew McIntyre

Bayley

Sasha Banks

Charlotte Flair 

Asuka

Becky Lynch 

Because all of them were successful in NXT, and have been featured in prominent roles (and in most cases are draws) on WWE tv. But yeah he’s not created difference makers. Okay.

14 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Some of those names I'll give you but NXT did exactly zero for Drew McEntyre. 

They used him as a top tier talent, and showed he was worthy of a push in Vince’s eyes. I agree his Indy/TNA run should have proved it, but if that was the case he would have skipped NXT when he was brought back (like AJ Styles did). Obviously Vince felt like he needed time there. 

Also looking at my own list I feel dumb for not having put Kevin Owens on it. I don’t see any way he’d have made it as a main eventer if he didn’t get the run he had in NXT first as Vince would’ve viewed him as just a mid carder at best. 

@MavsFan77 most of the guys on that list aren’t genuine NXT developmental talents.  The Shield, Big E, Bray...spent the vast majority of their development in FCW.  McIntyre was a 16-year veteran by the time he went to NXT.  He was hardly developed there.  On the female front, Asuka had a decade in the business before going to NXT.  Not a developmental talent either.

Among the guys you listed, only Otis and Corbin are true NXT developmental “success” stories.  I’ll leave it up to you to decide if that’s something they should hang their hat on.

Now, the 4 Horsewomen are a genuine developmental success story, and a pretty fantastic one.  Bayley, Sasha, and Flair had little to no experience beforehand, and Becky was coming off a long layoff.  NXT deserves a lot of credit for them.  But as time moves on, it’s becoming clearer and clearer that they were the exception and not the rule.

• Like 3