DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

He doesn't. He just worked a clinic with Smackdown with Daniel Bryan, having worked a PPV clinic with him a couple of years ago. He has a gimmick where Bryan was learning from HIM. He has nothing to prove.

It's true that AEW isn't exactly full of mat wrestling, but that's exactly why they need him. A NJPW tour as a junior or a ROH run isn't going to put him in a better position than he is right now.

This is just an easy win. He can wrestle, he can talk, there is history there if you want it. he's got his name. Plus you can feature him THIS WEEK which is a rarer than hen's teeth opportunity these days. AEW will be insane not to take it.

Why complicate things by putting in a 205 Live prelim guy on your show? Where would he fit in anyway? Is there a Daniel Bryan type that he could take his frustrations out on? Why hire him, just so you can say “We stole a jobber we weren’t really looking to hire in the first place”? Hey maybe Kenny can have a long match with him, because apparently he’s only good at long “Clinics”. This isn’t some random YouTube wrestling match show. You need a reason to be on TV, and I don’t see why you’d put someone like him on. If he came in, I’d see Wardlow destroy him to get whatever heat off of Gulak has for being a midcarder that isn’t even apparently worthy of a main roster contract.

Oh apparently word has come out that he was under a 205 Live contract, and not a main roster contract. So Vince thinks he’s not good enough for TV money. So maybe nobody should be slobbering over this guy in the first place if he can’t make Vince flinch.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

But as soon as crowds come back he will be. This is all temporary. He’s just a convenience right now because of what’s going on. I’m sure Vince doesn’t want to change the roster pecking order over Gulak. Which is probably why he won’t get a raise.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Hypothetical. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

His current storyline started pre-Corona. Did Drew steal your girlfriend or something?

(The poster would like to clarify that if my uncle decided they wanted to be my aunt and keep their balls, that would be cool too)

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

But as soon as crowds come back he will be. This is all temporary. He’s just a convenience right now because of what’s going on. I’m sure Vince doesn’t want to change the roster pecking order over Gulak. Which is probably why he won’t get a raise.

I highly doubt it would be a monumental shift in the "pecking order", pay wise, if you bump up a guy a little bit that's working on whatever a 205 Live contract is.

And @ComingToAmerica is right, the Daniel Bryan feud started all the way back in February, before things went to hell in a hand basket for live wrestling shows. 

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

His storyline happened before, but it was clear it wasn’t going to go longer than it’s initial run. I doubt very much Vince wanted to do more with him.

Do you have some sort of mind meld with Vince so you know all his thoughts? ?

It’s the WWE playbook. It’s very predictable with how they function. Them offering him very little shows how much they thought of him in the future. 

Really a lot of it is on him. He should’ve leaked this out a while ago to get that raise, but he didn’t play his cards right, and took people like Vince at face value. 

Payrates went up he should’ve been playing both sides to get a raise, instead of playing nice, and hoping he’d get rewarded. Was there some sort of Gulak re-up that hasn’t been reported, because of what’s currently reported right now is that he was still under the same contract he’s been under for a while now.

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s the WWE playbook. It’s very predictable with how they function. Them offering him very little shows how much they thought of him in the future. 

Really a lot of it is on him. He should’ve leaked this out a while ago to get that raise, but he didn’t play his cards right, and took people like Vince at face value. 

Damn....Gulak should've hired you instead of Barry Bloom to be his agent lol

Apparently so if he was still under that contract. I don’t know when he started asking for a raise, but as soon as he was on major TV that’s when he should’ve been leaking the stuff. Now it looks like he’s leaking it after he wasn’t re-signed, and with no leverage. 

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So maybe nobody should be slobbering over this guy in the first place if he can’t make Vince flinch.

Vince made Jinder Mahal a world champion and is currently pushing Otis and Baron Corbin as top guys.

Edited by mattdangerously
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

There is not a single goddamn moment of his in-ring career over the last 10 years or so that I have wanted to miss. CZW is not the vibe I want to watch. I drank that shit up when he was on his way up and on top there. 

Catch Point was not to be fucked with, and I disagree that the "No-Fly Zone / Better 205" stuff fell flat. I thought it worked just about as well as anything of that nature was going to in that particular fed. I enjoyed it more the first time around in CZW, as it felt like a much deeper issue because of the stand he was taking against ultraviolence.

I feel like because he hasn't done anything that has resonated with you, you are being dismissive of the idea that he might get that kind of reaction from anyone.

For me personally, Gulak was one of the few can’t miss guys in WWE. Everything he did, he committed to and made work. Character-wise, he was practically the second coming of Kurt Angle, as far as being able to slide seamlessly from over the top goofiness (he was the best part of Enzo’s 205 run) to serious asskicker.

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

He wasn't a 205 Live prelim guy last week and when you have to pretend he was....

This. He hasn’t been a 205 Live prelim guy in a long time, and anyone arguing he has been is just setting up a strawman so they can argue for their own personal preferences.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

John Oliver going hard at WWE, AEW and UFC tonight.

Not really. He used them as an example of what's going on. He dedicated around 3 to 4 minutes to them in a 21 minute segment where most of the discussion was around how you actually bring sports back.

• Like 2

I'm confused by the argument that AEW shouldn't hire someone because Vince didn't want him enough to keep him. By that logic, they couldn't hire anyone, because anyone who qualified would be under contract.

I understand the concern of AEW turning into "WWE cast-off land". That's part of what did TNA in, both in the short term and the long. But I think AEW is in a much better place, both creatively and popularity-wise, than TNA ever was. Should they hire everyone who gets released? No. Should they hire anyone right this minute, when everything is in flux? Maybe not. But I would argue "Guy who was working extended programme with Daniel Bryan this week" is no worse than "Guy who was being cuckolded by Bobby Lashley", "Guys who couldn't get on TV", or even "Guys who haven't been on TV since February."

• Like 4