DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Completely forgot about that Dark Carnival nonsense, or my brain folded it into the KISS Demon stuff (facepaint, songs about Detroit...)

I'll never read PG-13 and not think "I was on WrestleMania, bitch"

Demon was in Dark Carnival aswell and got bullied by Vampiro. 

Wasn't Sullivan behind the Benoit title switch in January 2000? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Demon was in Dark Carnival aswell and got bullied by Vampiro. 

Wasn't Sullivan behind the Benoit title switch in January 2000? 

The story is that he tried to get Benoit to stay by putting the gold on him, but Sid having his foot under the ropes was an out for if Benoit left. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The Varsity Club revival is, hands down, the weirdest booking choice in late WCW.  A faction hardly anyone remembered with guys that couldn't really go anymore.

I barely watched WCW at that point, I wasn't familiar with the Varsity Club so when I saw them I was trying to figure out why are these guys together. I probably watched more Saturday night than anything at that point because I enjoyed watching the Powerplant guys work. I was fully invested in ECW after they got on TNN and WWF at that time, I'd check in on WCW once in a while. Russo era had some bad stuff when  I checked in but  I will say there where a few guys I thought had potential and Rey, Juvi and people like that I always enjoyed.

• Like 1

this could be nostalgia misremembering but WCW got really fun circa December 2000 until the closing stretch. Cruiserweight ace (in trunks!) Shane Helms with the vertebreaker, the main event built around Steiner and Booker, Flair and Dusty doing really fun old man comedy stuff. I enjoyed it a lot. Who was booking then?

• Like 3

2001 WCW was fantastic and fairly underrated for the above reasons.

I watched an episode of October 2000 WCW and it was awful. It felt like 3 episodes in one with guys making repeat run ins and generally no selling the previous segment they were in. the main event of Sting and Muta just goes to a no finish as there's a big angle on the screen instead of Goldberg burying Russo in the desert.

There's this weird match between Booker and Nash for the title with Jarrett and Steiner as refs where they tease a swerve of Jarrett acting as an impartial referee, but then turns on Booker and makes the count for Nash to win the title. Made no sense at all.

• Like 2

The Boston mayor basically declared that there will be no large crowd events through Sept 7 which would mean no Summerslam in Boston

His quote was ""If your event brings crowds together in close contact--like a concert, a road race, or a flag raising--you should start looking at alternatives now."

One would assume then the WWE would be moving the event to somewhere in Florida (as I am figuring that is the one place guaranteed to still be doing live events)

And in a NY Post interview - Michelle McCool said that there was "talk" of Edge beating Taker at Mania 24 but Edge killed it by saying it didn't make sense.

Who knows who was proposing that but basically she credits Edge for "protecting" the streak

https://nypost.com/2020/05/08/wwe-michelle-mccool-on-life-with-undertaker-before-the-last-ride/

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I also  remember the Cruiserweight Tag Title tournament being tons of fun.

Yup, you also got Jason Jett AKA EZ Money getting a chance before the shit hit the fan. If WCW stuck around I could see him being a DDP 2.0 for them. After that he basically disappeared from visible wrestling.

• Like 1

Wading through a six-disc set of the Raven/Dreamer feud. It's such a blast. Nothing but hot angles, promos and brawls. In hindsight, I'm not quite sure why Beulah joined Tommy after he spiked* her night after night though.  Obviously, the way it wove in so many different characters is what makes it an all-timer. 

It did get me thinking to how Dreamer has had a really interesting career and has me wondering: is Tommy Dreamer a major wrestling star? He was always decently pushed in WWE and somehow has managed to be on national TV consistently for three decades. Is he just the quintessential midcard star? 

*piledrove obviously. 

Jason Jett was fun but I don't remember him as being much of a talker.

He went back to doing occasional indie dates after WCW but his main gig was making ring gear.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

That brief period of WCW just felt like they had stopped the bleeding creatively. You had silly stuff, but everything was kept very simple, very easy to understand, and was all focused on the in-ring action again. It’s funny, I remember that my family was very tight when it came to our budget during that time so we lost cable, and I really didn’t watch through most of the 2000s of WCW. But we finally got cable back around the time we’re talking about, and I knew something was up because I had been following along through recaps of how bad the programs were. So To watch an episode finally In a long time I was stunned that this was a legitimately good TV wrestling program. I had to check the usual recap people to see if they agreed, and yeah people were loving this. 

But truth be told the company was in limbo. So no matter how good this was, it would’ve probably reverted back to shit, if Bischoff had bought the company back. Best comparison would be Kip Frey WCW, and that time in TNA where they just had the FSN show and let Scott D’More book it.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

The last 4 or so months of WCW was really good it’s a shame the Bischoff and Fuisent deal didn’t go through I think WCW would have lasted for a few more years or morphed into what TNA evidentially became.

7 hours ago, D.Z said:

I'm surprised Sasha Banks is still with WWE.  Wonder what kind of punishment Vince has in store for her.

Being bayley's sidekick for 5 years

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Which was dumb because he was overpushed relative to everything, but post-walkout, he's basically cannon fodder as punishment. 

There are two matches that we never got during this time that I honestly would pay to see if we could get video of them from a universe where they did happen, even in the overbooked WCW of this era: Bret/Hogan and Booker/Goldberg.

Also, Disco is the fucking best. He's consistently entertaining, even when he's stuck with that Mamalukes crap. 

Booker/Goldberg happens in July 2000, I think the only time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Bret Vs Hogan technology happened but I believe Hogan tags out and Sting finishes the match but it happened kind of.

Yeah, it technically happened, but it was all part of a fucking nWo swerve so that Bret could double-cross Sting, so I didn't really count it. 

I'm not at July yet, so I'm interested in Booker/Goldberg because I don't remember it at all. 

I'm also interested in seeing a very young AJ Styles again and I'm sure after this, I'll try to track down whatever happened to Air Paris. 

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Who was booking in Aug 99 when Hogan went back to the red and yellow? That was head to head with Jericho's Raw debut wasn't it?

This was before Russo, so IIRC it was Kevin Sullivan and Terry Taylor heading a committee. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This whole train of conversation caused me to fire up EWR again. I blame only myself. 

Time to build the company around Onyx!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 5/6/2020 at 6:52 PM, D.Z said:

Yeah... never got a demo from or saw a Meredith Burke in a seminar. I call bullshit. 

Let me know if you are aware of the Fabulous BOOYA~! offending anyone, or causing a problem, and I'll look into it.

Edited by daveprazak

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

this could be nostalgia misremembering but WCW got really fun circa December 2000 until the closing stretch. Cruiserweight ace (in trunks!) Shane Helms with the vertebreaker, the main event built around Steiner and Booker, Flair and Dusty doing really fun old man comedy stuff. I enjoyed it a lot. Who was booking then?

It's weird, but even then it didn't seem impossible that Russo could have been booking during the closing as well. There was some incredibly stupid stuff that happened in the dying days (Rick Steiner attacking himself, for example), but all in all the late WCW did have a lot of things you could compare to TNA in 2009 before Hogan/Bischoff took over.

Considering that TNA in 2009 was the one conclusive time when we know "this is what Vince Russo shows would look like when he's finished up the "midcard rises up and takes out the old guard in the main event" storyline, seen that to completion, and now he can actually play with the new world he's thrown everything out the window in an attempt to make", that might point to something as well.

And for @daveprazak from all claims, Burke is apparently the woman who led the choir who sang "Judas" for Jericho at one of the AEW PPVs...which kind of makes that claim about as tenuous a link to wrestling as Rock movies or Jesse Ventura's political career. I mean, what happened was a bad thing by all means, but it's not like the person was a wrestler or had any interest in wrestling...it was a singer who sang once for an entrance at a AEW pay-per-view and likely was never going to be seen as a major part of a wrestling show again. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

Who gets drunk and tries to fight the MMA guys? I've got Hager for obvious reasons, Janela, again for obvious reasons, possibly Jericho since he doesn't mind a cocktail, and I'll take Jack Evans as my dark horse

Guest Edwin
15 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

...Janela, again for obvious reasons...

No. The dude was afraid to throwdown with Enzo. Not even drunk would he try to get into a fight with a UFC fighter.