DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

25 minutes ago, happjack said:

Sadly no one from Cameo is on Cameo. Taking a deep dive on who’s working the Orwellian gimmick table that is Cameo is well worth it. 

I only need to go as far as Big E and Gilbert Gottfried to be satisfied.

Didn’t want to quote tweet but Craig’s post about the Kenny jobber match was 100 percent and more importantly it’s the story the announcers told during the match. Schiavone and Jericho both talk about how Kenny’s getting the ring rust off, getting the reps. They treated it like practice. Then when the guy tagged Kenny he got murdered with the V-Trigger.

It’s no different than hearing about boxing sparring matches where the champ is laying back and just warming up and the sparring partner tags him and has to be dropped.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Didn’t want to quote tweet but Craig’s post about the Kenny jobber match was 100 percent and more importantly it’s the story the announcers told during the match. Schiavone and Jericho both talk about how Kenny’s getting the ring rust off, getting the reps. They treated it like practice. Then when the guy tagged Kenny he got murdered with the V-Trigger.

It’s no different than hearing about boxing sparring matches where the champ is laying back and just warming up and the sparring partner tags him and has to be dropped.

Basically it's Jack Johnson vs. Stanley Ketchel (the heavyweight champ vs. the middleweight champ). The much bigger man carries the smaller man. Then, said smaller man violates the gentleman's agreement and tries to seriously take out the bigger man in an effort to really win. Jack Johnson gets up and promptly proceeds to knock Ketchel into another time dimension.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Hagan said:

And honestly, "wrestler X won a match easily but gave jobber too much offense to be seen as a big star" is a quintessentially dumb 2020 wrestling talking point. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

And honestly, "wrestler X won a match easily but gave jobber too much offense to be seen as a big star" is a quintessentially dumb 2020 wrestling talking point. 

Honestly, it does make some sense if you think about it because in the last few weeks, AEW has shown with two jobbers the real story of how to make this work.

Kenny Omega gave Alan Eagles a lot of offense in his jobber squash. On paper, it was a good match with a man many consider the best wrestler in the world to make Eagles look good.  A few weeks later, people barely remember the name "Alan Eagles", referring to him as "the jobber in the Omega match" more than anything.

Sugar Dunkerton was given a nickname of "Pineapple Pete" by Chris Jericho, Jericho's been mocking him for weeks now. Next week, we're getting Jericho vs. Pineapple Pete. AEW fans are excited by this development, excited by the match, and it's gotten Dunkerton over enough he's probably getting a contract out of this when all is said and done.

Which one really worked better?

• Like 1

If we are arguing a Jericho V Omega battle of the minds, then yes Jericho is a brand maker. Branding is what gets a guy over first, then the ring work needs to follow. Suge could easily flame out after next week if the match is just a squash.

Tony better not lose Jericho after his contract is up. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I was going to ask this question when I saw a show, but is Joe Gomez and Alan Iron Eagle one in the same or is it just Wikipedia fuckery? Joe Gomez's birth year is listed as 1973, but Alan Iron Eagle is in WCW circa 1990. No way is that motherfucker seventeen.

On the subject of jobbers, is the Russian Assassin at Chi-Town Rumble Jack Victory or Dave Sheldon? Victory worked later that night subbing for no show Dennis Condrey. I think it's Sheldon, but a bunch of reviews of the show have it as Jack Victory.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

This reminds me of a lot of Timberwolves games I’ve watched. Competitive until the last quarter when the other team tries.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I blame Scott Keith for this. 

A post that would work in almost every possible context.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

My problem would be that guys named reminds me of WCW JJTS Alan Iron Eagle. ? 

Well, if they bring the guy in for his Omega match- they did the Rick and Morty thing for Adult Swim, just rename the guy Alan Faster than the Speed of Love. 

10 hours ago, hammerva said:

Okay this could be cool

Right now there are two recently released guys who are punching walls that doesn't have any action figures on it

Literally my favorite thing WWE has done in the last... what five years? is Trips and Steph walking through Axxess. I mean maybe I like one of those Revival/american alpha tags more but come on.

This is going to be about 600% more overproduced than that, but there's still a glimmer of a hope.

Take a pic with Triple H pointing at you @ Axxess : SquaredCircle

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Guest Edwin

5. 5 Man Steel Cage Escape Match, Mask vs. Hair Match: CIMA, Masaaki Mochzuki, Dragon Kid & Darkness Dragon besiegen Magnum TOKYO (29:13). Reihenfolge der Flucht: Darkness Dragon (13:05), CIMA (17:39), Dragon Kid (21:48), Masaaki Mochzuki (29:13).

I've been meaning to ask, but has anyone seen that match? It sounds like a banger on paper and I've seen photos of it and I've always been intrigued by it, but I've never actually seen it myself or know of anyone who's ever seen it. It's from September 2001 and it made an episode of Vamos Amigos on GAORA so there has been video of available for a while now, but unfortunately Toryumon JAPAN never had a big following and folks mostly talked about the multi person 3 ways and 4 ways and the famous T2P show for the most part. I just ordered a copy of it, so am waiting for it to arrive in a little bit.

I prob saw it at the time (i got Toryumon stuff regularly from Highspots then) but dont remember anything about it. 

Most of my Toryumon memories center around Stalker, Taru and some of T2 P stuff (Lost Fillipino Soldier, Milano, ...). 

30 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When ROH posted the Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation match from 2006, I went on a mini Toryumon binge. I saw that match on Dailymotion.

I saw this back in like, 2002 or 2003, when I bought a Best of Japan 2001 comp tape from Highspots (along with a Mutoh comp and a copy of NJPW's Osaka Dream Night PPV - a cage match in New Japan?!?).

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

That match sucked. No mask tearing, no blood, no drama, somewhat a silent crowd aside from the pops for the cage escapes, no boxes thrown into the cage, no ridiculous high speed highspots and no big cage dives. I found it on Daily Motion after I had paid for it.

I think the only thing I purchased from Highspots was a VHS copy of the Noah 2004 Departure show from the Tokyo Dome with the GHC heavyweight title match between Kobashi and Akiyama. I usually got tapes from Smart Mark and through tape trading on that website named after a heel Toryumon JAPAN faction.

Edited by Edwin