DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

19 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

As an aside, I found the HBK v Angle Untold a bit of an odd attempt at revisionism. It was a dream match when it happened for sure but I remember the consensus being it didn’t deliver at the time whereas the talking heads make out like it stole the show. Am I wrong?

I think you're misremembering, yeah. As I recall, it was well-received at the time. It was only when every Angle match started including ten thousand finisher kick-outs that people soured on this match.

Vink comes from my local promotion in Melbourne (same promotion that produced Slex and Adam Brooks of recent ROH stints, and before that, Emma, Buddy Murphy, and uggh.......Mr. Juicy/Gino Gambino who paid his way into a Bullet Club membership years after it meant anything. Stay tuned as I slut shame all of the above people and provide salacious dirt on that time they didn't set up the ring that one time)

I only really saw him work as a Bruno-esque top of the card babyface who had a strong-man moveset and sold for the most of his stuff. It wasn't particularly engaging, but obviously a great look. 

My understanding is that he had a really good heel run on the way out before going to Florida, and showed a lot more of what he could do. I think there's definite upside to him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

The bonkers shit is that the match showed up on a Coliseum Video.  The whole thing, including Wendi trying to keep going and do the planned finish. And Gorilla's outrage:  "What was THAT?  The ref made a THREE COUNT?"

The very end of it is remarkable, with Wendi staring straight back in disbelief towards the entrance (at what is presumably Vince), and her saying something like “If that’s how you want it, McMahon.”

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29ca65bc4b56929a18e0

Edited by Hamhock

30 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

The very end of it is remarkable, with Wendi staring straight back in disbelief towards the entrance (at what is presumably Vince), and her saying something like “If that’s how you want it, McMahon.”

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29ca65bc4b56929a18e0

Wow.  I never knew that's what she was saying until now.  And again, THAT was purposefully put ON a COMMERCIAL video.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Vink comes from my local promotion in Melbourne (same promotion that produced Slex and Adam Brooks of recent ROH stints, and before that, Emma, Buddy Murphy, and uggh.......Mr. Juicy/Gino Gambino who paid his way into a Bullet Club membership years after it meant anything. Stay tuned as I slut shame all of the above people and provide salacious dirt on that time they didn't set up the ring that one time)

I only really saw him work as a Bruno-esque top of the card babyface who had a strong-man moveset and sold for the most of his stuff. It wasn't particularly engaging, but obviously a great look. 

My understanding is that he had a really good heel run on the way out before going to Florida, and showed a lot more of what he could do. I think there's definite upside to him.

I've always wondered what the hell the deal with Mr Juicy is. Like...does he own that promotion or something? 

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I think you're misremembering, yeah. As I recall, it was well-received at the time. It was only when every Angle match started including ten thousand finisher kick-outs that people soured on this match.

I think the issue was that the first match was considered great at the time, but they had two more matches over the next six or so months (one of them an ironman match) that progressively were less well liked and that sort of drug down the rep of the first.

Granted if I watched that first match now I'm sure there'd be a ton of things that drove me nuts, but it was a more innocent time...

• Like 1

I wondered that deal was with Gino Gambino. Now it makes perfect sense why they wouldn't give him a track suit.

As for the Wendi Richter match, my favorite part is Howard Finkle being confused as hell when Spider lady took her mask off and revealed herself to be Moolah. Okay so Vince was gonna do a double cross. But was there no one else to put the belt on or did Moolah still own the belt at that point?

The first Michaels/Angle match was well-received at the time and is still decent now. I think at the time the shock of Angle winning it helped me like it maybe more than it deserves on quality alone (was I the only one sure that Michaels was winning that match?). 

I watched three old WCW matches. 

1. Vampiro v. Sting Human torch match, GAB 2000.  There's a totally meaningless Sting falls off the scaffolding bump.  I mean, it's obvious he just lands on a crash pad, and he just gets back up and starts climbing again, but what the hell.  Vampiro looks like one of those dudes whose strikes don't look like they land but are like stiff as hell as opposed to looking stiff as hell but barely land.  The thunder and lightning effects when they go up to the top of the Nitrovision or whatever?  I wonder what the people watching live thought?  My son didn't even notice that they swapped out Sting for a stuntman. 

2. Triple Cage triple threat - DDP v. Jeff Jarrett v. David Arquette.  So, WCW put the belt on Arquette to promote their movie, right?  Sounds like something Vince would do now.  Why did this have to be a triple threat?  Couldn't they have just done a one-on-one, with Arquette and Awesome doing run-ins to help?  Was anyone buying a PPV for David Arquette in 2000 (I'd probably pay to see a Nick Gage v. David Arquette rematch).  The cage wall busting is a legit holy shit moment -- the kind of energy that really only pro-wrestling can create with its fake-real dichotomy.  The Arquette turn makes no sense.  Mike Awesome randomly appearing on the second cage somehow and then somehow taking a neckbreaker bump on a diamond cutter.  Kanyon randomly showing up again mysteriously on the second cage only to be thrown off in a sick sad bump that they didn't even bother to replay.  But that did remind me to check out the Kanyon Cutter montage:

Jesus Kanyon was amazing in this. 

Good memories of Kanyon reminded me of an unsung match from BATB 1997.

3. Mortis / Wrath v. Glacier / Ernest the Cat Miller.  They should've made the Cat Glacier.  His kicks here are spectacular.  Mortis and Wrath do everything to make Glacier and Cat look like gold here, and when they get to the offense, they beat the holy shit out of Glacier. Superkick a chair to Glacier while he's pinned against the ringpost?  Powerbomb neckbreaker combo?  Reverse boston crab leg drop?  Finish is dumb as Vandenberg puts the chain on Mortis's foot, then puts said foot on the rope for the ref to see, and the ref is like, oh, there's a chain on his foot.  Seems fine.  Loved that match way back then, still love it now.  Kanyon was the man. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

As for the Wendi Richter match, my favorite part is Howard Finkle being confused as hell when Spider lady took her mask off and revealed herself to be Moolah. Okay so Vince was gonna do a double cross. But was there no one else to put the belt on or did Moolah still own the belt at that point?

Vince owned the belt.

And yeah - there was pretty much no one else. I mean Moolah held the title for two more years before dropping it again.

Richter was one of Moolah's girls and Vince probably thought "Moolah can handle herself if Richter shoots after getting screwed". 

This was what was in the WON 10 years ago when Richter got announced for the WWE Hall of Fame

This week’s announcement was Wendi Richter, who was something of a surprise. Richter, 48, was asked to do the Divas Battle Royal at Mania, and did consider it, but ultimately turned them down. Richter may have been an excuse to use Piper as part of the festivities as much as anything. Richter was considered the prettiest member of Fabulous Moolah’s troupe of women wrestlers after Vince McMahon bought Moolah’s belt from her to try and establish a pretty young woman as a pro wrestling poster girl. While she had worked in WWF matches before as a faceless and nameless undercard tag team novelty matches, she was introduced as a TV character as Cyndi Lauper’s protege in a match against Moolah, managed by Lou Albano, on July 23, 1984, in Madison Square Garden. The match was hyped on a national basis bigger than any wrestling match had been in years, and aired live on MTV, due to Lauper’s association with it, doing a 9.0 rating, still the second highest cable TV wrestling show in history and at the time the MTV record holder. But crediting Richter for this would be as accurate as crediting Bobby Lashley, in the same exact position, for being the babyface who won in the main event of the biggest drawing pro wrestling match in history. In fact, Lashley is probably the most similar person when it comes to a career with Richter. Richter was given one of the biggest pushes in the company, to the point they tried using her as a headliner, but shows with her on top bombed and the idea was quickly dropped. She became a mid-card attraction who would come up to Lauper’s music at house shows, get a nice pop for her entrance and do her match. Her star faded pretty quickly. Moolah, in particular, didn’t like her. After trading the title with Leilani Kai, at that point it being a minor belt, on November 25, 1985, in Madison Square Garden, she went in the ring to defend against Spider Lady. There had been a masked woman using that gimmick, but Moolah ended up under the mask. Before the show started, Gorilla Monsoon came to Richter and asked her to sign a new contract. Richter said she wanted her agent to see it first and didn’t sign, and then Monsoon gave the word. On a small package near fall, the ref counted three quickly, Richter kicked out, and Moolah was awarded the match. She continued working thinking it was a mistake while Moolah stopped selling. She pulled the mask off, and stormed out of the dressing room in her gear, hopped into a taxi, and never returned to WWF. So she really had 16 months with the company, but was a spotlight performer in 1984, her likeness was in the Hulk Hogan cartoon and while she was not close to the attraction hoped for her, her name was well known. She wrestled part-time for a few years, winning the AWA women’s title and the WWC women’s title (she at one point married Hugo Savinovich, who was part-owner of WWC), but she really had nothing going for her past the fact she was pushed on TV and well known as a name, but wasn’t particularly good or charismatic in the ring. She seemed to transition well to life after wrestling, working in real estate and getting a Masters degree in Occupational Therapy, and even raising show dogs. One thing funny in the Richter video is they showed a 1984 Pro Wrestling Illustrated cover that had the headline of whether Richter was more popular than Hulk Hogan. That cover was legendary, because for years even at PWI it was largely considered the stupidest story they ever wrote, as in “what could we have been thinking.” But when the cover was shown in the video, they eliminated the photo of Hogan and the mention of Hogan. Flair was also mentioned in the same cover, but they did not eliminate him. They also didn’t edit out “World Wrestling Federation” when they showed a Richter photo from a program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s crazy what they did to her. At least she landed on her feet. But I think ultimately it was a dick move by the company to do that with her after she wanted to have a legit contract negotiation. She was 48, and probably wanted a good deal before hanging it up down the line. Why let somebody toss a non-guaranteed contract that also probably didn’t include nice percentage from merch sales? Them doing that to her was unprofessional, and typical of a carny profession.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

BTW Ventura pulled out before he even started again.

I seem to recall Ventura doing the same schtick in 2016, only with the Libertarian Party nomination (he considered the Green Party bid this year).

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

BTW Ventura pulled out before he even started again.

Anybody that thought this was going to go anywhere to begin with is a fucking idiot, since the Green Party's convention to name a nominee is in a month.

35 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

More than anyone else on that cover, I was the most stoked for Raven being on it. I did not play WCW/nWo vs the World, but know of a couple people who did and they described it as a modern day Wrestlefest. So that combined with Raven being on the cover sold me on the game and I became an AKI wrestling fan for life.

• Like 6

I played WCW vs the World a bunch in 97; I think we got that and Crash Bandicoot with our Playstation system for Christmas. I had no frame of reference as a kid for all of the “fictional” wrestlers. When I replayed it as an adult and looked at the roster I lost my mind. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I played WCW vs the World a bunch in 97; I think we got that and Crash Bandicoot with our Playstation system for Christmas. I had no frame of reference as a kid for all of the “fictional” wrestlers. When I replayed it as an adult and looked at the roster I lost my mind. 

When I was a kid I used to go to Barnes & Noble to read through the WCW Nitro guide, and get envious looking at the roster because I didn’t own a PlayStation, I stupidly had a Saturn instead. In retrospect I had no reason to be envious. Saturn had VF2, Die Hard Arcade, and World Series Baseball 98’. PlayStation didn’t have the equivalent of those games. I did end up getting an N64 later on, Because even then I knew that PlayStation’s quality of games was lacking, and I wasn’t going to pass up the chance to get Revenge.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

My god playing Nitro for Playstation after all the anticipation was just crushing.  Such a terrible game.  I think it was after that that I paid some sketchy strip mall game store in Annandale $100 to mod my PSX so I could get the New Japan game instead.  Money well spent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

All this time, I thought it had to do with factions.  If I recall, the roster of the game was split into NWO, NWO Wolfpack, Raven's Flock/Nest, and WCW.  Then there were the fictional wrestlers, but they wouldn't have box facetime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1