DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

22 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

To be fair, WCW went with a trap door which was dumb as fuck. 

How did this even work? Was there a C-shaped seam that was visible the whole night? I've never actually seen that show.

43 minutes ago, AxB said:

I wonder how they gimmicked the ring so you could cut your way through. Cut planks maybe, that can be slid out from underneath when it's time? Or do you have basically a hole in the ring all night, and tell people to work around it?

I know in ECW they told the boys not to bump in a certain area when they were going to do the whole fall through a mat or through the ramp deal. It was probably the same in WCW when Sting came from underneath the ring in 1997. I think because many times they were doing it for the main event in WWF or late in the show and it would be incredibly hard to avoid one spot all night that they made it where whoever was underneath the ring (be it Mankind or Taker) could move the boards etc. out of the way. 

35 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

How did this even work? Was there a C-shaped seam that was visible the whole night? I've never actually seen that show.

They had the trap door for multiple shows when Warrior was there in 1998, which is amazing that more people didn't get badly injured. However, this was when WCW had the very large, nice looking logos that covered roughly 75% of the mat. Later in 1998 (around the time Warrior got there), Nitro switched from plain grayish (sometimes dark blue) mats to ones with the giant Nitro logo on top. I think they made sure you couldn't see the outline of where Warrior was suppose to come from.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Ive also heard guys say that mats with logos on them back then often made footing slick and potentially haxardous. 

Boxing (and now MMA) has had this problem for several years. Add in the fact that you have people spilling water on the mat by way of cornermen drenching their respective fighter in water.

Sidenote: I was watching Halloween Havoc 96 (the show where Piper makes his WCW debut) last week. I know it was suppose to be a sight gag, but still. After Hogan wins his match against Savage, they have Giant come out with this ridiculously huge bowl of ice water.  It's so heavy even a man his size is having trouble carrying it. As he tries to slide it in the ring, he spills 3/4 of it on the ring apron and becomes clearly irritated with himself knowing he fucked up the sight gag. When he gets in the ring and drops the remaining water on Hogan so Hogan can do a cartoonish recovery and make goofy faces, it goes over like a fart in church. It wouldn't have been funny if Giant didn't botch it and executed it perfectly. So what the fuck was the point in making a giant mess on the mat? Although it's at the end of the show, Piper still has to come in so he can have a ten minute, awkward back-and-forth with Hogan. Imagine if Piper, a man with notoriously bad hips, makes his WCW debut and then hurts himself slipping on ice water Giant spilled on the mat. That would have been an unmitigated disaster.

Nexus were scheduled to reunite for this year's WrestleMania weekend

https://www.thesportster.com/news/nexus-scheduled-reunite-wrestlemania/

On the one hand, it seems a bit far-fetched that such idea(s) would be real, but it would have been a hell of a thing if true. I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me somewhat sad, being something I've hoped and dreamed would happen for years.

Edited by The Green Meanie

Feels like you have to have some Foley on there.

Jerry Estrada?

ETA: And obviously Psicosis

Double Edit: Vic Grimes

Insane Dragon

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

First name that came to mind. Excellent shout. 

I feel like if you have a bump named after you that's an automatic inclusion.

• Like 1

Just now, Zimbra said:

I just saw your Vic Grimes edit. I was going to list both him and Erin O'Grady. Crazy motherfuckers, both.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I just saw your Vic Grimes edit. I was going to list both him and Erin O'Grady. Crazy motherfuckers, both.

I was thinking specifically of that Grimes/O'Grady dark match that got posted not that long ago.

I'm really enjoying thinking of examples for this one.

Devon Storm took some pretty stupid bumps on the indies.

Great Sasuke

Taka Michinoku

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Speaking of Jerry Estrada

FWIW I watched this Estrada match (vs. Heavy Metal) in clipped form last night. However, the entrances are still intact. In another example of bringing out live animals in front of a ravenous audience and loud noises is a really, really, really BAD idea, I present you Jerry Estrada and a cougar.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, D.Z said:

Powerbombs into the turnbuckles are now banned in WWE. Not sure if other moves like german suplex or else to turnbuckles will be banned, but they could eventually ban them too.

Surprised it's taken till now and not 2015. If we're talking moves that need banning, the Diving Headbutt for how many people it's fucked up. I'd ban the Poison Rana/Reverse Rana as well. Makes me cringe.