DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you havent heardthem, there are a couple of early Studcast when ron talked about his college basketball career, including playing vs Artis Gilmore when he was at Jacksonville. 

I jumped into the Studcast late so haven't heard those ones. Do you know the specific episodes? 

5 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I jumped into the Studcast late so haven't heard those ones. Do you know the specific episodes? 

Looks like #28-#32. 

On his website, those episodes have pictures of him playing basketball. 

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think there is too much money in American sports to have NO fans for all of 2020 in the major sports, bar a second wave. I would expect partial/token crowds in the fall. 

At what % can they open/staff a stadium and still turn a profit though? Or is this going to be a case where 25% of the seats are available but the prices are jacked up wildly because of supply/demand and cost analysis. I bet certain people would pay.

2 hours ago, nate said:

There are three tag finishers that I've seen and would like to see brought back:

- the Road Warriors pre-Doomsday Device top rope powerslam (Animal on the top rope, Hawk gets the opponent up for a suplex but drapes them over Animal's shoulder, Animal drives them to the mat)

The Freebirds also used this in the UWF, with Gordy delivering the slam. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

We looked it up the other day and I think both Robert and Jimmy are 6'5", so lotsof good genetics in the Welch family.

Are there any young Welch’s on the indies?

Listening to the Studcast has been a great insight into working and running a promotion in the territory days. Blowed my mind listening to Ron talk about Gordon Nelson and how one of the most lethal shooters in wrestling ended up as just a simple member of the road crew in WCW

EDIT: Nelson’s obit http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2012/12/19/20443241.html

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Are there any young Welch’s on the indies?

Listening to the Studcast has been a great insight into working and running a promotion in the territory days. Blowed my mind listening to Ron talk about Gordon Nelson and how one of the most lethal shooters in wrestling ended up as just a simple member of the road crew in WCW

EDIT: Nelson’s obit http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2012/12/19/20443241.html

I believe Jimmy's son either is or was a wrestler, since Ron talks about 4 generations of Welchs in the business. 

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I always liked Harlem Heat's "Heat Seeker" where Stevie Ray has the guy up in the electric chair position and Booker comes in with a missile dropkick.

They had a bunch of nifty double-team shit. I was a big fan of the "Towering Inferno", which was like Demolition's Decapitation Elbow, except Booker would hit a top rope legdrop onto an opponent Stevie had just backbroken.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Please, don't encourage them.

The SAT did something kinda like that but it was more of a Bull's Poseidon/piledriver combo

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A finish I never recall seeing in years is the one Ron and Rob Fuller did in the 70s. 

rob would backflip the opponent and Ron would catch the guy and then piledrive him. 

The Smokin Gunns used this for awhile.  

I'm pretty sure Bart did the back body drop and Billy did the piledriver.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 2

If you caught and held the person for a second before the piledriver, maybe even held and spun em around first... okay. But you know it's just gonna look like a new Canadian Destroyer. In fact you know it'll end up in someone doing a back bodydrop into a Canadian Destroyer. 

Fuck it, I'll post it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/randyorton/status/1266498139105529856?s=21

It's not embedding, but rarely have I been more surprised. Who knew Randy Orton would have one of the most profound takes on what black lives matter means, not to mention the easiest way to explain why black lives matter is important to begin with.

Randy Orton... Man, 2020 is the weirdest timeline.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck it, I'll post it:

It's not embedding, but rarely have I been more surprised. Who knew Randy Orton would have one of the most profound takes on what black lives matter means, not to mention the easiest way to explain why black lives matter is important to begin with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A finish I never recall seeing in years is the one Ron and Rob Fuller did in the 70s. 

rob would backflip the opponent and Ron would catch the guy and then piledrive him. 

I remember Meng and The Barbarian doing the piledriver version once or twice. I think they switched to a similar setup, but Barbarian would catch the guy upside down and then deliver a power bomb. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck it, I'll post it:

Also shocking was that Darren Young namedropped Randy Orton (amongst a couple others) as wrestlers who had his back and supported him when he came out of the closet. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

They had a bunch of nifty double-team shit. I was a big fan of the "Towering Inferno", which was like Demolition's Decapitation Elbow, except Booker would hit a top rope legdrop onto an opponent Stevie had just backbroken.

I remember them doing a version of hart attack except is was booker doing one of his spinning kicks

• Like 2

It was just announced that one of the lead Smackdown writers was let go. I mentioned a page or so ago that their would be a lot of releases coming but didn't expect it to be this soon. Christopher DeJoseph is the guy who was let go. From what I was told their will be a lot of people let go throughout the summer.