DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/nigel-mcguinness-furloughed-wwe-312116

Nigel McGuinness furloughed by WWE. That's sad considering the coronavirus crisis, Nigel's great on commentary and his tenuous journey arriving to the WWE. Watch The Nigel McGuinness documentary by WWE last year if you haven't already.

Edited by The Natural

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Didn't the Revival use it at least once? I also remember them using the Hart Attack and Demolition's decapitation elbow.

FTR needs to go all the way with the gimmick.  Let them be absolute students of tag team wrestling who use the moves and finishes of other teams constantly.  The already did the old Brain Busters' spike piledriver on Wednesday night  I need to see them bust out the Rocket Launcher, Steiner Bulldog, Le Bomb De Rougeau, etc.  Have them beat the Bucks with a Meltzer Driver.  Fuck it, shout out Steenerico with a package piledriver rolled into a brainbuster.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/nigel-mcguinness-furloughed-wwe-312116

Nigel McGuinness furloughed by WWE. That's sad considering the coronavirus crisis, Nigel's great on commentary and his tenuous journey arriving to the WWE. Watch The Nigel McGuinness documentary by WWE last year if you haven't already.

Every furlough and layoff they do is sad because there is absolutely no need for it outside of "we need to make the balance sheet look good so other greedy fucks savvy businessmen continue to invest in us."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

FTR needs to go all the way with the gimmick.  Let them be absolute students of tag team wrestling who use the moves and finishes of other teams constantly.  The already did the old Brain Busters' spike piledriver on Wednesday night  I need to see them bust out the Rocket Launcher, Steiner Bulldog, Le Bomb De Rougeau, etc.  Have them beat the Bucks with a Meltzer Driver.  Fuck it, shout out Steenerico with a package piledriver rolled into a brainbuster.

Every furlough and layoff they do is sad because there is absolutely no need for it outside of "we need to make the balance sheet look good so other greedy fucks savvy businessmen continue to invest in us."

I was going to post this yesterday but, I spoke with my contact who worked for WWE for years in a tech capacity. He told me a few things that I wanted to share with everyone.  The first thing was apparently the way Luck was fired from XFL was handled terribly.  I was also told that over 300 members were "furloughed" this includes truck drivers, audio guys, camera crew, tech guys, office staff, all the temps/contractors were let go.  The general consensus is they will not be hired back.   As sad as that is to hear it gets worse.  The gentleman told me that there are no plans for crowds to be at shows not just WWE but NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB for the rest of 2020. This gentleman did tech work on WWE's behalf for every arena in the country and had been told that their is almost 0 chance of crowds being at events this year.  He also confirmed Disney being interested in buying WWE as early as last year. He said at the time Vince didn't consider selling but the way things are now he may do it.

Lastly and more importantly, there will be another waive of "furloughs" releases, this summer. The list of names are already made.  It will be interesting to see how much of this is on air talent and how much is office/backstage talent.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The gentleman told me that there are no plans for crowds to be at shows not just WWE but NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB for the rest of 2020. 

Texas signed a new executive order permitting crowds at outdoor sporting events beginning today.  25% capacity.

NFL is currently saying there will absolutely be a season and the plan now is for there to be some sort of crowd.  At least a few teams are selling season tickets.

Ohio State University is selling season tickets and believes it will be allowed to fill the stadium to 50% capacity.  Supposedly, the governor told them that is feasible.

Florida is (was?) planning to start admitting crowds beginning June 1.

Multiple other sports organizations have supposedly been told they can start admitting some sort of crowd later this year.

Dunno if any of this will happen - I'm somewhat skeptical - but it's certainly not a given that your source is right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Texas signed a new executive order permitting crowds at outdoor sporting events beginning today.  25% capacity.

NFL is currently saying there will absolutely be a season and the plan now is for there to be some sort of crowd.  At least a few teams are selling season tickets.

Ohio State University is selling season tickets and believes it will be allowed to fill the stadium to 50% capacity.  Supposedly, the governor told them that is feasible.

Florida is (was?) planning to start admitting crowds beginning June 1.

Multiple other sports organizations have supposedly been told they can start admitting some sort of crowd later this year.

Dunno if any of this will happen - I'm somewhat skeptical - but it's certainly not a given that your source is right.

It's not a given you are correct. What he does is he provides internet connection to the venues. He is essentially a Network/Systems Admin but on a larger scale. Also controls the credit/debit card machines at the merch stands/food stands in the arenas.  Many of them do not anticipate events at all this year.  When he told me this I was crushed. I am a huge sports fan, don't laugh I am a Broncos fan and they are coming here this season and I really wanted to take my dad. We've never gone to a game together and it would be fun. 

Praying that this can still happen and that we do have fans, but I did want to relay the info I had as well. 

• Like 1

I think there is too much money in American sports to have NO fans for all of 2020 in the major sports, bar a second wave. I would expect partial/token crowds in the fall. 

Edited by odessasteps

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Somebody needs to bring back the Steiner's DDT off the shoulders.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think there is too much money in American sports to have NO fans for all of 2020 in the major sports, bar a second wave. I would expect partial/token crowds in the fall. 

49 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

When he told me this I was crushed. I am a huge sports fan, don't laugh I am a Broncos fan and they are coming here this season and I really wanted to take my dad. We've never gone to a game together and it would be fun. 

Praying that this can still happen and that we do have fans, but I did want to relay the info I had as well. 

Same here.  If we can get back crowds next year, I'm prepared to live without crowds this year, but what I expect to happen is crowds at 25-50% capacity.  My family has season tickets for the local NFL team and season tickets for several fall University sports.  FWIW, the NFL team already contacted us about renewing our seats and we've received emails from the University about how they're going to handle season tickets this year (since less tickets will be sold this year).

Lol, even our local farmer's market is reopening tomorrow.  County Commission had been adamant that the farmer's market could not go on in person except for online orders, but they did a sudden about-face yesterday.

21 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Cross posting. The NWA youtube show today has some of their women discussing cyber bullying and the like. 

Thanks for that.  I'll have to check it out when I clock out of work.  I haven't cross posted or anything but they did an Inside the NWA video with Homicide and Hernandez.  It was a pretty damn good interview that I would recommend checking out as well.

There are three tag finishers that I've seen and would like to see brought back:

- the Road Warriors pre-Doomsday Device top rope powerslam (Animal on the top rope, Hawk gets the opponent up for a suplex but drapes them over Animal's shoulder, Animal drives them to the mat)

- don't remember who did this, but one partner has the opponent up for a suplex, and the other partner does a crossbody off the top onto the opponent for the pin

- maybe the Rockers? Same setup as #2, but instead of the crossbody, the partner missile dropkicks the opponent.

Just now, nate said:

There are three tag finishers that I've seen and would like to see brought back:

- the Road Warriors pre-Doomsday Device top rope powerslam (Animal on the top rope, Hawk gets the opponent up for a suplex but drapes them over Animal's shoulder, Animal drives them to the mat)

- don't remember who did this, but one partner has the opponent up for a suplex, and the other partner does a crossbody off the top onto the opponent for the pin

- maybe the Rockers? Same setup as #2, but instead of the crossbody, the partner missile dropkicks the opponent.

I liked the superplex/frog splash combo that the short-lived Chaz/D-Lo Brown team did.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I liked the superplex/frog splash combo that the short-lived Chaz/D-Lo Brown team did.

You mean Eddie Guerrero and Love Machine (Art Barr)'s finisher?

If we're discussing Double Team finishing moves, the Pitbull's Superbomb needs to be mentioned. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nate said:

Rocker's did #2. They called it The Rockerplex. 

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

A finish I never recall seeing in years is the one Ron and Rob Fuller did in the 70s. 

rob would backflip the opponent and Ron would catch the guy and then piledrive him. 

Which is crazy because Ron was a legit 6'9. Former basketball player at my alma mater, Univ of Miami.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

You mean Eddie Guerrero and Love Machine (Art Barr)'s finisher?

If we're discussing Double Team finishing moves, the Pitbull's Superbomb needs to be mentioned. 

Needs mentioning:

TOTALLL ELIMINATIOOONNNNNNNN!!!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Which is crazy because Ron was a legit 6'9. Former basketball player at my alma mater, Univ of Miami.

We looked it up the other day and I think both Robert and Jimmy are 6'5", so lotsof good genetics in the Welch family.

21 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

If you havent heardthem, there are a couple of early Studcast when ron talked about his college basketball career, including playing vs Artis Gilmore when he was at Jacksonville.