DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I want to not fully judge this until seeing how this happened.  But given Nia's history she's sadly someone who's guilty until proven innocent when it comes to these type of things.  Feel for Kairi though as with all that's been going on this was the last thing she needed.

In just the last year what are the head injuries that Kairi has gone through? There's the TLC match in December, then Jax tossing her into the turnbuckle one, Jax tossing her into the stairs this week. I feel like I might be forgetting one other, possibly, but damn, just those three right there in what less than six months??

I'm almost picturing where she gets stuck in tags for a good while for her safety or even benched?

Edited by Hayabusa
  • Like 1

When they brought back Squash matches in 2016 after the 2nd brand split started to build up Nia Jax and Braun in was so good to see. It was some of Nia's best stuff outside of Bayley matches in NXT. I still believe she got called up way too early. At the time when she was feuding with Bayley I was willing to bet she'd take the NXT Women's title off Bayley. I didn't expect her to get called up so soon. I wish she got to stick around much longer to get more experience. The storytelling of her matches are great most the time but she's still rough around the edges. I felt the same way about Tamina, she would've been so much better had she stayed in FCW a while longer. She got alot of criticism for not being good in the ring but I don't think you can blame her because she got called up so quick because of her unique look. That's my biggest fear about The Rocks Daughter. I do think Simone probably has a better grasp of wrestling going in than Tamina and Nia going into it.

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I felt the same way about Tamina, she would've been so much better had she stayed in FCW a while longer. She got alot of criticism for not being good in the ring but I don't think you can blame her because she got called up so quick because of her unique look.

I mean, she's been on the main roster for a decade now and has over 500 matches, at this point I think it is fair to say that she was just never gonna be any good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, username said:

I mean, she's been on the main roster for a decade now and has over 500 matches, at this point I think it is fair to say that she was just never gonna be any good.

She seems to have only figured things out now in her recent Smackdown run. She still isn't good, but she is competent and can be carried to solid matches. I like Tamina because she has great presence, but she has never shown much potential beyond that.

Edited by Eivion

On today's WOR, when Dave was talking about The Revival's debut, he said "they were booking to the BTE audience" in reference to Being The Elite, but I misheard it as "booking to the BET audience" and thought that the Bucks/Omega/Cody were booking to the viewers of Tyler Perry's The Oval and Being Mary Jane.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

On today's WOR, when Dave was talking about The Revival's debut, he said "they were booking to the BTE audience" in reference to Being The Elite, but I misheard it as "booking to the BET audience" and thought that the Bucks/Omega/Cody were booking to the viewers of Tyler Perry's The Oval and Being Mary Jane.

Not enough women tazing their own daughters to appeal to real Oval-heads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, mattdangerously said:

Pretty Wonderful was a much better role for him.

Such an underrated tag team. Then you’ve got Power and Glory too and Roma doesn’t seem so bad 

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Such an underrated tag team. Then you’ve got Power and Glory too and Roma doesn’t seem so bad 

I really loved The Young Stallions, but I was like 10 and I seem to remember it being a big deal that they beat Muraco and Orton, and I fucking HATED Bob Orton.

Pretty Wonderful is obviously the best of the three teams, and with the couple of title runs, the most successful. I have always thought Roma got a bad rap for the failed Horseman run, but he was perfectly acceptable in any of the mid-level roles he played other than that. I wouldn't go looking for Paul Roma's "best of", but I'm not going to skip a match of his just because, either.

• Like 3

Everyone getting hyped for Riddle v Bryan or Cesaro or Nakaramura when we all know he is going to be given a green and purple jumpsuit, a tag team with Shorty G and a never ending series of 4 minute matches with the Lucha House Party and Forgotten Sons.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I really loved The Young Stallions, but I was like 10 and I seem to remember it being a big deal that they beat Muraco and Orton, and I fucking HATED Bob Orton.

Pretty Wonderful is obviously the best of the three teams, and with the couple of title runs, the most successful. I have always thought Roma got a bad rap for the failed Horseman run, but he was perfectly acceptable in any of the mid-level roles he played other than that. I wouldn't go looking for Paul Roma's "best of", but I'm not going to skip a match of his just because, either.

Power and Glory should have been in the Nasty Boys spot at Mania VII going over the Harts for the tag titles.  No idea why they got squashed by the LOD in 30 seconds and then broken up following Summerslam.

10 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Power and Glory should have been in the Nasty Boys spot at Mania VII going over the Harts for the tag titles.  No idea why they got squashed by the LOD in 30 seconds and then broken up following Summerslam.

I recently read an interview with Roma and he said Hercules was hurt going into WM7, so Roma came up with the idea for the squash.

I would have been fine with Power & Glory in the Nasties spot. They would have been fine transitional champs, and Slick deserved to manage a champion.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vgmastr said:

Power and Glory were a SUPER underrated tag team and would be better remembered if they lasted more than a year.  Hercules was dead in the water and Roma's 15 minutes with Powers was long gone.  But they clicked and had a bad-ass finisher.  And then they got to squash The Rockers at SummerSlam '90 and they were made.  Until Gorilla started this dumbass "He wants to be called "Romeo" Roma" shit.

This is speculation but I would assume when the Rockers beat the Harts for the tag titles, it would have been a transition to Power and Glory, making the WM7 LOD match for the titles.  Interesting Roma is now blaming Hercules, because ROMA has said for years that he was the one who was injured and just wanted to get it over with.

12 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Power and Glory were a SUPER underrated tag team and would be better remembered if they lasted more than a year.  Hercules was dead in the water and Roma's 15 minutes with Powers was long gone.  But they clicked and had a bad-ass finisher.  And then they got to squash The Rockers at SummerSlam '90 and they were made.  Until Gorilla started this dumbass "He wants to be called "Romeo" Roma" shit.

This is speculation but I would assume when the Rockers beat the Harts for the tag titles, it would have been a transition to Power and Glory, making the WM7 LOD match for the titles.  Interesting Roma is now blaming Hercules, because ROMA has said for years that he was the one who was injured and just wanted to get it over with.

If Roma was injured, taking the Doomsday Device doesn't exactly seem like a smart move.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Yeah, Roma had said in an interview I'd seen, that his arm was fucked up and he didn't want to do the match and that Vince "made him".

He's also an asshole, so take what he says with a grain of salt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Yep - the Powerplex was fucking ace. 

A team needs to bring that back.

Didn't the Revival use it at least once? I also remember them using the Hart Attack and Demolition's decapitation elbow.

• Like 2