DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

11 hours ago, Peck said:

That wacky Nia is at it again. (Spoiler for next weeks' Raw)

Reveal hidden contents

Kairi Sane suffered what is being described as a significant head cut during today’s Raw taping.

It happened during a match against Nia Jax that was taped for next week’s episode of Raw. According to Fightful Select, which first reported the story, the cut happened when Jax threw Sane into the stairs, with Sane's head connecting with the corner of the stairs.

At that point, the match was stopped as WWE medical tended to Kairi Sane, bandaging her up. According to Dave Meltzer,  Sane suffered a “significant” head cut.

Fightful further reported that Sane indicated that she was fine and insisted on finishing the match. Jax and Sane immediately went to the finish once the match resumed.

I want to not fully judge this until seeing how this happened.  But given Nia's history she's sadly someone who's guilty until proven innocent when it comes to these type of things.  Feel for Kairi though as with all that's been going on this was the last thing she needed.

• Thanks 1

Watched Survivor Series 89 last night and my wife asked me if the guy in the blue shorts was actually black or was doing a Soul Man gimmick (1980's movie about a white man who tans himself black to get into Harvard).

The guy in the blue shorts was Rick Martel .  This led to a debate about who had the darker skin - Rick Martel or Bad News Brown (who was on Martel's team).  It's.... a lot closer than it should be.

Now I can't unsee Rick Martel as a black man.  It's disturbing.

SS '89 is such a weird card.  Teams seemingly thrown together at random.  Weird finishes (Dusty Rhodes winning the match for his team with a running crossbody that in no way seems like it should be a pinfall until it is).  DQs in an elimination match (Somebody - Hogan was certainly using his BACKSTAGE POWARZ that night.  Three of the four heels in the Hogan match got eliminated by DQ.  Andre too in another match.  Zeus and Andre did less than five minutes work between them before being DQ'ed)/

The main event had all of the above at the same time.  The teams were kinda random (Ultimate Warrior, Neidhart, Rockers vs. Heenan, Andre, Haku, Arn), Andre got himself dq'ed almost immediately, making Heenan's team look really weak, and the finish came down to Ultimate Warrior vs. Heenan.  Terrible match.

It's weird how they didn' t just put guys from the same tag teams/stables in the same match.  Heenan Family had 6-10 guys at that point but none of the Heenan teams are that strong.  Heenan's team in the main event is really weak (immobile Andre who goes out 3 min in. 1/2 the Brainbusters, Heenan himself).

Where was Tully?  I'm assuming injured or suspended.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

I think Tully got popped on a drug suspension.  I may be wrong, but I don't think he wrestled for WWF after that point.  Arn was gone pretty shortly after that, too.  

Also, weren't there plans to re-form the Horsemen in WCW, but Tully's issues screwed that up, too?

Arn and Tully's contracts were up.  Right before redoing them, Tully got popped for possession and was kept off TV and not renewed.  Vince didn't have interest in Arn as a solo act, only with the team, so he wasn't renewed and Arn went back to JCP.

For the WCW reunion, they did a reunion-ish with everyone but Tully.  Don't recall what kept Tully out, but it's that reason that they slotted in Roma.  So, we can blame Tully for Roma being a Horseman.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I want to not fully judge this until seeing how this happened.  But given Nia's history she's sadly someone who's guilty until proven innocent when it comes to these type of things.  Feel for Kairi though as with all that's been going on this was the last thing she needed.

All of this. Nia Jax track record goes against her. Cheers, @NikoBaltimore.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I remember that quite well and also how quick everybody was to point out that he got that cleared backstage beforehand.  I bet now after it started up they won't be doing this anytime soon if ever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Kairi is a tiny person and is easily ten times tougher than I've ever been.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'm sorry but I just figured out which one is Adam Cole, Adam Page, and Adam Pearce so you none of them are allowed to move or I'll get confused again.

None of them look anything alike though. Must be selective Adam blindness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Kairi is a tiny person and is easily ten times tougher than I've ever been.

Oh, I don't doubt that at all.  If anything it shows just how tough she is and I respect that a ton about her.  But I'd gladly take sitting out if it meant not having to deal with Nia's reckless nature again.  If she's up for that then more power to her.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh, I don't doubt that at all.  If anything it shows just how tough she is and I respect that a ton about her.  But I'd gladly take sitting out if it meant not having to deal with Nia's reckless nature again.  If she's up for that then more power to her.

I think she should hit her with a pirate ship wheel.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

None of them look anything alike though. Must be selective Adam blindness.

Oh, I have no idea what Adam Cole or Pearce look like.  I just know Cole is on NXT, Page is on AEW, and Pearce is the other one.

This is what happens when you try to get back into pro wrestling after 15 years away.

Pearce is bald, Page rides a horse, Cole is really short. That probably helps a little if you saw them all at once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, I believe so.

Survivor Series '89 will always be one of my favorites. To be honest, I've probably watched the intro more times than the show itself.

Conversely, it’s one of my least favourite shows for the simple fact that young me saved up my pocket money to see Barry Windham and Tully and Arn on a WWF show only for the cover of the VHS to not reflect who was on the show!

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

For the WCW reunion, they did a reunion-ish with everyone but Tully.  Don't recall what kept Tully out, but it's that reason that they slotted in Roma.  So, we can blame Tully for Roma being a Horseman.

I think it was a mixture of "Tully had become a minister and didn't want to go back to wrestling" (his claim) or "Tully asked for too much money; Roma was far, far cheaper and they already had him" (WCW's claim.) 

3 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Watched Survivor Series 89 last night and my wife asked me if the guy in the blue shorts was actually black or was doing a Soul Man gimmick (1980's movie about a white man who tans himself black to get into Harvard).

The guy in the blue shorts was Rick Martel .  This led to a debate about who had the darker skin - Rick Martel or Bad News Brown (who was on Martel's team).  It's.... a lot closer than it should be.

Now I can't unsee Rick Martel as a black man.  It's disturbing.

LOL this is just fucking tremendous.  Many thanks.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

I think it was a mixture of "Tully had become a minister and didn't want to go back to wrestling" (his claim) or "Tully asked for too much money; Roma was far, far cheaper and they already had him" (WCW's claim.) 

Meltzer told a third version of the story years ago.  Per Dave, Tully failed the drug test intentionally to get released and got an offer from WCW.  Vince leaked the failed drug test to WCW and they pulled their offer and instead wanted to pay Tully $500 per appearance.  He refused and Roma got his spot (ugh).

As part of this story, Meltzer also claimed that Vince made sure that guys he wanted to pass tests knew when they would be tested (hence Tully supposedly intentionally getting coked up to flunk the test).

Thinking about it now, Tully and Arn's contracts were up anyway, so why would he bother to get himself fired?  Especially fired before a major PPV?  Did talent not get PPV bonuses in those days?

I completely forgot Heenan was in the match because of Tully's drug test.  Honestly, Colossal Connection and Brainbusters in not a bad foursome.  Though it would have been even more underwhelming when Andre got himself taken out of the match almost immediately.

Watching late 80's WWF PPV's has given me a renewed appreciation for Honkey Tonk Man.  God bless Wayne Ferris.  He's not much of a worker at this point and he's turned not taking a bump into an art form, but he's still a great watch.  Fun character, great on the mic.  

Shake Rattle and Roll (his neckbreaker finisher) looks even worse than I remember, but it's still really well-protected as a finisher.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

11 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Watching late 80's WWF PPV's has given me a renewed appreciation for Honkey Tonk Man.  God bless Wayne Ferris.  He's not much of a worker at this point and he's turned not taking a bump into an art form, but he's still a great watch.  Fun character, great on the mic.  

Shake Rattle and Roll (his neckbreaker finisher) looks even worse than I remember, but it's still really well-protected as a finisher.

All finishers were protected in those days, until you faced Hogan.

• Like 2