DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Alexa's tweet is written like pretty much all of her other tweets. So either she doesn't run her own account, or she wrote it herself. I'm leaning towards the latter, because she's really not shy on Twitter. I mean, I've seen her respond to chuds tweeting at her about her having a wedgie during a match.

59 minutes ago, sabremike said:

We interrupt this thread to bring you the greatest thing in the history of the world:

Of course, PCO got his man. He's not a mountie after all.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

I don’t know why but that video kind of makes me want to see PCO up against 80’s movie characters now, FMW style...

PCO vs. Leatherface, Freddie, Jason, Robocop, Predator... 

If I win the lotto, that’s my money mark promotion right there.

• Like 5

Guest Edwin

Another round of Gulak and Bryan classics, please.

Also, Riddle is rumored of moving to SmackDown on Friday. Let me already fantasy book him teaming up with Bryan and Gulak against the Artist Collective. ?

I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that an angry-looking white dude with a patchy beard and a Final Fantasy poster on his wall was caught saying something shitty about a female wrestler. Shocked, I tells ya! 

Anyway, something I was thinking about, is there another personality in wrestling that's gotten a better reevaluation over the years than Dusty Rhodes? For years he was seen as the guy who buried Flair and did terrible commentary, but ever since NXT everything came up roses. Everyone even likes the commentary now (as do I, minus the NWO vs. WCW bullshit that everyone was guilty of). It's not often that this happens, as shown by the Ultimo conversation above. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I am shocked -- SHOCKED -- that an angry-looking white dude with a patchy beard and a Final Fantasy poster on his wall was caught saying something shitty about a female wrestler. Shocked, I tells ya! 

Anyway, something I was thinking about, is there another personality in wrestling that's gotten a better reevaluation over the years than Dusty Rhodes? For years he was seen as the guy who buried Flair and did terrible commentary, but ever since NXT everything came up roses. Everyone even likes the commentary now (as do I, minus the NWO vs. WCW bullshit that everyone was guilty of). It's not often that this happens, as shown by the Ultimo conversation above. 

I'd think some of has to do with his passing away at an early age. 

I think a decent number of people will still point out his faults as a Booker in the later years of JCP. 

I think the commentary thing is more nostalgia than anything, similar to opinions on Gorillas commentary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I'd think some of has to do with his passing away at an early age. 

I think a decent number of people will still point out his faults as a Booker in the later years of JCP. 

Well, it kind of ties to the "did NXT make any gamechangers or not?" thing.

With the booking, it seems like Dusty's NXT stuff was a throwback to the glory days of wrestling, when everyone had some character that wasn't "I'm a great wrestler and I'm out here to put on the best match on the card." "I am also a great wrestler and I'm out here to put on the great match on the card." "I deeply respect how good you are. Let's fight, and that will be the best match on the card." "No, I'm also a great wrestler, and my match with this other person I deeply respect will be the best match on the card." "Then next week, me and this guy will fight you and that guy, and that tag team match will be the best match on the card." "And that will give me and this other person a chance to fight, and that will be the best match on the card", etc. etc. 

It kind of says something that when NXT seemed to lose its fizz can be so connected to when Dusty died that you can virtually point directly where the sea change of "NXT gives wrestlers gimmicks and lets those characters develop into something special" and "NXT hires all the best indie wrestlers and has them just put on matches for matches'' sake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

is there another personality in wrestling that's gotten a better reevaluation over the years than Dusty Rhodes?

From the vitriol of the IWC as the face of Raw during the bland split in 2002 to being everyone’s darling for what he built with NXT up to 2018ish, Triple H was definitely in contention. I get the impression it’s reverted back again in recent years though 

EDIT: I was going to fix that typo but it sums up the period perfectly to me...

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 4

Regarding Riddle to Smackdown, Alvarez and Meltzer were somewhat surprised Riddle didn't go to Raw because that's where Heyman is. I think Meltzer then mentioned that Bruce runs Smackdown though and I think that's exactly what's going on here. If you listen to any interview or podcast with Bruce where he talks about who he thinks the next big thing is, Matt Riddle is always the first name out of his mouth. I'm thinking and hoping that this bodes well for Riddle and he doesn't wind up like Ricochet and other can't miss wrestlers who WWE fucked up.

So if history shows us anything, it's either Riddle will do very well as long as Vince likes him or Bruce will wind up being on the outs or gone because he's Riddle's biggest cheerleader.

2 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

What about Adam Cole?

I hate clickbaity shit like this. It happens every time Cole shows up at an AEW afterparty. He's there because Britt is there and there's probably nothing more to it than that. But those SBN sites gotta get their clicks so whatever.

• Like 1

Just now, ChesterCopperpot said:

His contract is up in a few months 

I know that, but he's also been to multiple AEW parties to be with Britt. There's also no indication he's going to leave. He's still the reigning NXT champion, he's HHH's boy, and he's part of the most dominant and longest running group in NXT's history.