DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Dory Funk Jr as the Masked Outlaw (1984)

8VNSmkA.jpg

Randy Savage as the Spider (1974-75)

HYmmXMg.jpg

I just noticed the bit about being available on youtube, I'm assuming no footage exists of Savage as the Spider....

Edited by elizium

On the subject of Ric Flair a few pages back, his 2006 involved things you never thought he'd do. Ric Flair wrestled in a TLC match at the start of the year vs. Edge on RAW, a Money in the Bank Ladder match at WrestleMania XXII, used barbed wire and took a thumbtacks bump vs The Big Show on WWE'S ECW TV and used the same weapons against Mick Foley at SummerSlam 2006.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I push back on Mr. JL because Jerry spent most his career as a nondescript jobber.

His feud against Lightning Kid in Global was highly regarded and pretty widely seen, though. "Nondescript jobber" is a bit harsh.

• Like 1

I just came up with the greatest idea for a fuck finish ever: a mask vs mask match where the face wins and when the heel goes to unmask he stops, cites the laws about having to wear a mask at all times and that by law he cannot unmask and then walks to the back without unmasking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

38 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I just came up with the greatest idea for a fuck finish ever: a mask vs mask match where the face wins and when the heel goes to unmask he stops, cites the laws about having to wear a mask at all times and that by law he cannot unmask and then walks to the back without unmasking.

If drawing money or killing towns was still a thing, congrats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I just came up with the worst idea for a fuck finish ever: a mask vs mask match where the face wins and when the heel goes to unmask he stops, cites the laws about having to wear a mask at all times and that by law he cannot unmask and then walks to the back without unmasking.

FTFY

How about we just call a guy Covid-19 and have him wear a mask that looks like the virus. 

3 minutes ago, Zartan said:

FTFY

How about we just call a guy Covid-19 and have him wear a mask that looks like the virus. 

Imagine being unable to see that the post was a joke.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

On the subject of Ric Flair a few pages back, his 2006 involved things you never thought he'd do. Ric Flair wrestled in a TLC match at the start of the year vs. Edge on RAW, a Money in the Bank Ladder match at WrestleMania XXII, used barbed wire and took a thumbtacks bump vs The Big Show on WWE'S ECW TV and used the same weapons against Mick Foley at SummerSlam 2006.

I really cringed at some of the stuff he did that year. The blood loss was always the worst part because he would look like he nicked a vein.  But I believe he had just married wife number 3 or divorced her around that time. So I hope he got extra money for all that crazy shit. 

• Thanks 1

Hot take: Shawn Michaels singing his theme is the third-best version of that theme, behind Sherri Martel singing it (#1) and Vince McMahon singing it (#2).

• Like 3

Weird question (primarily because I recorded Labor of Love for some reason...): was Matt Striker the "wrong" one and WWE was trying to get Matt Stryker?  Or am I confusing that with the story about Zach Gowen and supposedly WWE looking at another one legged wrestler?

Just now, dogwelder said:

Weird question (primarily because I recorded Labor of Love for some reason...): was Matt Striker the "wrong" one and WWE was trying to get Matt Stryker?  Or am I confusing that with the story about Zach Gowen and supposedly WWE looking at another one legged wrestler?

Striker got some media attention for getting fired from his high school teaching job for using his sick days to work indy shows. WWE picked him up just to capitalize on the exposure he got, which is why he had the teaching gimmick. 

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

Striker got some media attention for getting fired from his high school teaching job for using his sick days to work indy shows. WWE picked him up just to capitalize on the exposure he got, which is why he had the teaching gimmick. 

Yeah, I remember that (and I thought that he was still doing that when he was in WWE), but I thought there was also a story about WWE choosing the wrong one...but again, I might be confusing that with the Gowen story.

Edited by dogwelder

29 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Hot take: Shawn Michaels singing his theme is the third-best version of that theme, behind Sherri Martel singing it (#1) and Vince McMahon singing it (#2).

The Vol 2 version is freaking awesome. I was hoping they'd start using it at some point when he came back as commissioner in 99 and it just never happened. I think the Vince singing thing is an urban legend though

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I think the Vince singing thing is an urban legend though

Didn't Shawn confirm it in his book? I think Prichard even said something about it once too.

Edited by PetrolCB

Guest Edwin
17 hours ago, Linus said:

Rey Misterio Jr as Rey Mysterio

If we name Mexican luchadors who've lost their mask, then the list would be endless, so that wouldn't really apply.