DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Tajiri is the wrestler I would most like to meet because I once patted him on the back before a match at an ECW show in like 2000 and my hand came away smelling like furniture polish and I still want to know what was going on with that.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Tajiri is the wrestler I would most like to meet because I once patted him on the back before a match at an ECW show in like 2000 and my hand came away smelling like furniture polish and I still want to know what was going on with that.

1. Poison mist smells like furniture polish.

2. The gland sometimes secrets through the skin if not released often enough. 

It's fairly straight-forward. Gary Hart had revealed in his book (the rare print version, not the manuscript that we all read online) that in times of peace, the ancient Japanese warriors who were modified to utilize it actually had a booming woodworking trade.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think anyone witnessing a dual conversation in English and Japanese would have their jaws on the floor haha. That's wild.

I work with a lot of multilingual folks, and I've seen them do this - not just switch back and forth, which is common, but hold a conversation in two different languages at the same time. 

Not sure I've seen it with English and Japanese, though. It's so cool. I feel envious when I see them do that. Then they feel envious because my accent is, as one linguistics instructor put it to me, "pure Nebraskan newscaster," which apparently is the most Standard American English accent that you can have. 

I would trade it to be multilingual in about two seconds, though. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Tajiri needed shoe polish to assure fans ECW was open because someone jammed gum in the locks.

Bunch of savages in this town.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think I've seen Spanish/English interactions like that. Maybe. Definitely half-Spanish, half-English, as in mixed sentences.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nah, JYD just really liked cake.

Well, he did gain a lot of weight around then...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

You can't be a first Ballot Hall of Famer when there are no ballots. The terms of eligibility have never been stated (because they don't exist). Everyone knows it's a One Man, One Vote system. Mr McMahon is the one man, and he gets the one vote.

JBL is going in this year because he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, so clearly he wasn't on the (imaginary) ballot last year. What happened in the last year to make him qualified for consideration? You might as well call him a first bullshit Hall of Famer, because it's a bullshit Hall of Fame.

Even if there are no ballots, the same point stands. There are some things where, in all likeliness, if you have this stat to your credit, there's no doubt you're worthy for the Hall of Fame, and barring some huge circumstance, you will probably eventually get in. 

Plus, statistically, the "you got a World Title match at Wrestlemania" is one of those stats that makes someone a no doubt about it Hall of Famer in WWE. Going to the stats for that (recognizing World Title as "any World Championship recognized by WWE- either the WWF World, or WWE/WHC/ECW, or WWE/Universal):

21 people who have fought for a World Title at Wrestlemania are in the WWE Hall of Fame: Hogan, Andre, Savage, DiBiase, Warrior, Slaughter, Flair, Yokozuna, Bret Hart, Diesel, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, JBL, Batista, Goldberg, Booker T, Edge, 

17 wrestlers are active performers who we can already safely assume are no doubt about it Hall of Famers when they eventually retire: Undertaker, The Rock, Big Show, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Randy Orton, The Miz,  Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, AJ Styles, Kofi Kingston, Kane, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, 

Three wrestlers are early enough in their career that it can be considered too soon to tell either way: Shinsuke Nakamura, Drew McIntyre, and Braun Strowman.

Two wrestlers are no longer active WWE performers, but seem like a HOF induction is likely inevitable to eventually occur: Chris Jericho and CM Punk.

One wrestler, we all know is never happening in a million years: Chris Benoit.

Six wrestlers fought for a World Title and are unknown odds-wise of induction: King Kong Bundy, Lex Luger, Sid, Chavo Guerrero, Alberto Del Rio, Jack Swagger

That would say my original claim is...pretty sound that "getting the World Title match at Wrestlemania will likely make you a no doubt about it WWE Hall of Famer."

43 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

That would say my original claim is...pretty sound that "getting the World Title match at Wrestlemania will likely make you a no doubt about it WWE Hall of Famer."

It would, if that was your original claim. It wasn't.

You said: 

Being in a World Title match at Wrestlemania is one of those no doubt about it, You got this thing then you are instantly a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

You said nothing about the WWE HoF--leaving open valid interpretations that you were using the common colloquialism, or perhaps referring to any HoF that actually has a public ballot--and didn't caveat the statement with conditionals such as "likely". 

(I'll admit that this seems pedantic, but I'm bored at work, and this is a message board--all we have are words that we take too seriously.) 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Conversely, I remember reading about someone patting RVD on the back at an ECW show and saying it was like a swamp and he got a weird rash after

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tajiri needed shoe polish to assure fans ECW was open because someone jammed gum in the locks.

Bunch of savages in this town.

And you know Paul E wasn't springing for the good toilet paper for the ECW Arena bathrooms. It's too bad John Nord never passed through ECW. He could've used Beserker as entrance music.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

It's too bad John Nord never passed through ECW. He could've used Beserker as entrance music.

You just know Dreamer would've volunteered to get stabbed with the sword. Unless New Jack did it first.

9 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You just know Dreamer would've volunteered to get stabbed with the sword. Unless New Jack did it first.

Mass Transit was seen muttering, "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But did his shadow tho?

Who knows what absurd booking decision lurks in the hearts of men?

Flair's Shadow knows!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

It's too bad John Nord never passed through ECW. He could've used Beserker as entrance music.

Nah - more likely he’d have had generic huss music.