DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Herb is very much a real term. However, outside of Bomani Jones and like one or two other people, I haven't heard someone call another person a herb since the early 90s. You may as well call someone a buster if you're gonna age yourself that badly.

Also known as a "buster". She didn't want no scrubs you see.

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Okay, I'm not sure I can parse the grammar in all of this, but I have to pull up short here. Are you saying that anyone who wrestles for a World Title at Mania is a first-ballot Hall of Famer? Guys like Alberto del Rio? The Miz? JBL? Jack Swagger? What about guys like Slaughter or Sid?

I'm not arguing for or against Harper's relative merits, but the idea that wrestling for the world title at Mania has this much weight behind it just blows my mind.

And my answer to that is...we have to define which Hall of Fame we're talking about here (similar to the Owen instance this week where the point is "Martha/the family won't allow WWE to put him in the WWE Hall of Fame, but when Owen was put in the Tragos/Thesz Hall of Fame, she happily allowed it and showed up to honor him.) 

The WWE Hall of Fame is what I'm talking about here- and since the WWE Hall of Fame is mostly built on kayfabe as opposed to any quality control to speak of? Yes. In the WWE Hall of Fame, if you had wrestled for the World Title at Wrestlemania, that's a "you're a no doubt about it WWE Hall of Famer" honor. To be honest, if you're at the level to fight for the World Title at Wrestlemania, you probably were already there anyway and this puts you over the top. So yes. Del Rio? First-ballot by WWE standards. Miz? First-ballot by WWE standards. JBL? He's already been announced as a 2020 Hall of Famer whenever we get the induction ceremony, so he's not even an argument he's a Hall of Famer.  Jack Swagger? First-ballot by WWE standards.

Same token- being a World Champion in a WWE- accepted promotion, same thing- that automatically makes you first-ballot for the WWE Hall of Fame (barring a unforeseen circumstance like the Benoit murders, which might take Del Rio out due to recent news, to be fair.) And that- no matter who else you claim for a World Champion, I would say "yes, they absolutely are". I don't care- David Arquette? The WWE Hall of Fame has a celebrity wing, and he'd deserve to be in that wing a damn sight better than someone like Kid Rock or Drew Carey would.  Vince Russo? If they ever induct backstage workers like Warrior really wanted for the Warrior Award, do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

not sure what would be a better troll for the Edge/Orton Greatest Match Ever, teasing the match ending in 30 seconds or having an extended nerve hold sequence in that match

10 minutes setting up a multiple tables spot that takes 3 tries to work.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, kafkonia said:

Okay, I'm not sure I can parse the grammar in all of this, but I have to pull up short here. Are you saying that anyone who wrestles for a World Title at Mania is a first-ballot Hall of Famer? Guys like Alberto del Rio? The Miz? JBL? Jack Swagger? What about guys like Slaughter or Sid?

I'm not arguing for or against Harper's relative merits, but the idea that wrestling for the world title at Mania has this much weight behind it just blows my mind.

In WWF/E's Universe why wouldn't Slaughter or Miz be HOFers at some point, Slaughter was right behind Hogan as #1 Babyface before leaving and Headlined when he was brought back and treated like a legend over the years, Miz has been the most reliable when it comes to Media and press and very much a company guy. I think he has has some of the Strongest US and IC title runs in modern times where they both mean something. Miz will never be in Reigns or Lesnars spot obviously but he is consistent as a upper midcarder

• Like 3

You can't be a first Ballot Hall of Famer when there are no ballots. The terms of eligibility have never been stated (because they don't exist). Everyone knows it's a One Man, One Vote system. Mr McMahon is the one man, and he gets the one vote.

JBL is going in this year because he's a first ballot Hall of Famer, so clearly he wasn't on the (imaginary) ballot last year. What happened in the last year to make him qualified for consideration? You might as well call him a first bullshit Hall of Famer, because it's a bullshit Hall of Fame.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Allegedly Ric Flair is no longer under WWE contract. 

I would love to see him have a short run in AEW as the manager of The Elite or have him Arn and Tully reunite for 3 on 3 match Vs Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks lol.

2 hours ago, Vgmastr said:

Today I learned that Grab Them Cakes and Jive Soul Bro were covers of a singer named Captain Chameleon who recorded them in 1981 and as far as I can tell are the only two songs he ever did.

I only heard the Slick one and it's pretty damn funky.  I really do love it but barely prefer the cover.  The way Slick delivered the lyrics just flowed much better as it had a slightly faster pace to it.  Between that and the slight changes in the music it just works so darn well for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I wonder how much of Asuka's zaniness is herself and how much of it are habits she picked up from Tajiri when she was in SMASH/WNC with him.

Asuka's from Osaka which is known for it's comedy.  I think it might just be something ingrained culturally.  Here she talks about how she got into wrestling through comedy (at the 14 min mark):

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Allegedly Ric Flair is no longer under WWE contract. 

I thought he signed a new contract a few months back, I would like to him in AEW with Tully, Arn and Jake. AEW have been better at featuring legends in non wrestling roles than WWE but he'd probably be afraid he'd put heat on Charlotte if he worked with anyone else. He looks in the best health he's been in since his health scares

@odessasteps @nofuture @Eivion @The Natural

In my limited experience it seems to me that Kana is genuinely bubbly energetic and positive. She's definitely an Osaka lady and then some. You get all types in Osaka, but I bet she'd be a lot less goofy if she'd grown up in Kyoto or Fukuoka or somewhere.

I also met Tajiri once, in the Cowboy Steakhouse near the old Osaka Pro arena. We got into a conversation and then I noticed that everyone was staring at us. Then I realized that out of politeness I had been speaking Japanese and he had been speaking English the whole time. That must have seemed crazy to the other customers.

I really enjoyed meeting both of them. Haven't got a bad word to say about either one.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Just now, gordi said:

In my limited experience it seems to me that Kana is genuinely bubbly energetic and positive. She's definitely an Osaka lady and then some. You get all types in Osaka, but I bet she'd be a lot less goofy if she'd grown up in Kyoto or Fukuoka or somewhere.

I also met Tajiri once, in the Cowboy Steakhouse near the old Osaka Pro arena. We got into a conversation and then I noticed that everyone was staring at us. Then I realized that out of politeness I had been speaking Japanese and he had been speaking English the whole time. That must have seemed crazy to the other customers.

I really enjoyed meeting both of them. Haven't got a bad word to say about either one.

Thank you for sharing this, @gordi. Kana and Tajiri are two of my favourites. Stay safe, friend.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gordi said:

That is awesome. I love that you two not only spoke the others' natural language, but were able to have an actual conversation like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1