DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

There's a world of difference between a Jon Moxley or a Matt Hardy,  though, and a Shawn Spears or a Brodie Lee. Shawn Spears was a kind of comedic opening match guy and borderline jobber, and Brodie Lee was a lackey/tag team guy in a team that was nowhere near as legendary as the Hardyz. Spears was weighed, measured, and found wanting as a top star and fell down to his level of competence as "he's a perfectly acceptable lowercard hand", but Brodie Lee is exactly the type of thing everyone mocked TNA for. Even if Brodie Lee is very talented and a good performer, on a logical scale, his push is the first thing AEW has done that actively makes AEW look small-time:

I think the logic with Luke Harper being pushed is that he's a guy who deserved a bigger break and AEW is 'the land of opportunity' as it were. You have to remenber that Luke Harper has gone over Marko Stunt and old man Christopher Daniels, will lose to Moxley and will then move back down the card.

That being said, the Dark Order has dragged AEW down and the misfits/diamonds in the rough grouping is very much the play of a superindy and not a legit alternative to WWE.

Jericho Instagram

I was just about to post that on the RIP Thread. He was my go-to writer for reviews. 99% of the time I saw the same exact things he did. He was a great writer, definitely going to be missed. Praying for his family and hoping their taken care of.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I don’t know what everybody else’s TV experiences are on that program, but you can tell Matt striker probably talked to the director and told him “I’m going to give you all the reactions you need, so please put the camera on me”.

I've met Striker a few times and I always thought he was gay. I guess you learn something new every day

Guest Edwin

My phone has been blowing up since last night since someone tagged Dave and he RTed it and now Cody. 

WWE has done a poor job of developing draws post-Cena while simultaneously signing anyone with a lick of talent. The result is a roster that is interchangeable and replaceable.  All they need is wrestlers to fill slots on the roster. For example, they need people with some credibility at the top of the card. It's already a given the top of the card performers wont draw in any measurable way but if you take them away the house of cards collapses. In the WWE machine the Drew Gulaks of the world are a dime a dozen. He could and will be replaced tomorrow with another talented performer desperate for a shot.  In a time when WWE is cutting costs, these types of performers just don't have a lot of leverage when demanding competitive salaries. The market doesn't support it.  If Gulak lands with a competitor,  he probably will not be making the salary he was requesting from WWE.  

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Come on guys. Do I have to do everything for you?

Yes.

Yes, you do. 

(Hey, I clicked the THANKS button on your post!)

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Come on guys. Do I have to do everything for you?

That's been posted in some thread already this week. But who can keep track of what gets posted in which thread anymore? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The guy who posted it is also posting some rare stuff like the Gunns vs RnR WWF match and some JCP Florida TV that  is super rare.

https://twitter.com/shogunstewa

That Barry Windham v Dory match he posted is pretty good. I know Junior isn’t to most people’s taste these days but the clash of styles really works 

Does anyone have the photo of the box score/news story about the NWA basketball game that was floating around twitter before the video popped up?

Edited by Zimbra

23 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As you've said on multiple occasions, you took a 15ish year break from watching wrestling. As a result of that, I would suggest your assessment of Jericho's time in WWE is somewhat limited and off the mark. 

With Jericho, going back to the middle of the '00s there seemed to be some fairness to the idea that he'd been mishandled because he'd never received a firm commitment in terms of the company pushing him as a tippy-top guy. But once he caught on, he was always heavily featured and given match and promo time during that run. He was almost always an integral part of their roster. From 2008-2010, I'd argue he put in a run that rivals his time in WCW. Almost every time he came back from a hiatus, he was constantly getting chances to express his creativity, from dramatic new looks to wordless promos to the List and so on. There were things along the way that he took as missteps or slights, like the Fandango feud or his match with Owens not being for the Universal title. But on the whole, it's reductive to suggest he was "badly mishandled" (your words) and didn't get to express his creativity. WWE is certainly produced to more rigidly conform to a single person's vision, but you're really writing off a lot of high-quality work at the highest levels that stemmed from Jericho's personal input just because it happened in that company. I'm happy he feels more creatively fulfilled now, but I'm sure there are a lot of talents in WWE who wish they could be as "badly mishandled" as Chris Jericho was for 18 years. 

I agree with this assertion. In an alternate universe I wonder what would have happened if you swap HHH's push with Jericho's. My take is that business would have been substantially better, and I would have enjoyed it more. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I agree with this assertion. In an alternate universe I wonder what would have happened if you swap HHH's push with Jericho's. My take is that business would have been substantially better, and I would have enjoyed it more. 

Agreed. And say what you'd like about Jericho's struggles early on with not getting the WWF style or whatever, in my opinion the great reaction he got for the reversed title win against HHH on Raw that time in 2000 is what sealed his fate as a future victim of a classic Kliq fucking. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Just want to clarify, I'm not on the "Jericho was mishandled" train at all, but when you're the first WWF/WCW Champion and you're playing second fiddle to a dog in your WM build...
  • Like 4

So nobody wants to talk about how all of Indie Wrestling Twitter has been dumping on CZW in general (and DJ Hyde in particular) all day? It did slightly shift from "What a horribly sleazy company, how terribly they treat their talent", to "Boy that's guy's sure a mark for himself", but either way.

Thread:

Kinda piggybacking my early question about agile big guys in the 80s..

Is there a dominating looking tag team that didn't actually wrestle to their look and size? Example,  Steiners, LoD, Acolytes, AoP, they all look, IMO, tough as nails and brutalize the shit outta opponents, especially the little guys coming in to get killed. 

But was there a team who had the look where both guys looked like bruisers, who didn't have a wild barroom brawl beatdown style that they killed job guys with?