DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

8 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

John Oliver going hard at WWE, AEW and UFC tonight.

Not really. He used them as an example of what's going on. He dedicated around 3 to 4 minutes to them in a 21 minute segment where most of the discussion was around how you actually bring sports back.

• Like 2

I'm confused by the argument that AEW shouldn't hire someone because Vince didn't want him enough to keep him. By that logic, they couldn't hire anyone, because anyone who qualified would be under contract.

I understand the concern of AEW turning into "WWE cast-off land". That's part of what did TNA in, both in the short term and the long. But I think AEW is in a much better place, both creatively and popularity-wise, than TNA ever was. Should they hire everyone who gets released? No. Should they hire anyone right this minute, when everything is in flux? Maybe not. But I would argue "Guy who was working extended programme with Daniel Bryan this week" is no worse than "Guy who was being cuckolded by Bobby Lashley", "Guys who couldn't get on TV", or even "Guys who haven't been on TV since February."

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not really. He used them as an example of what's going on. He dedicated around 3 to 4 minutes to them in a 21 minute segment where most of the discussion was around how you actually bring sports back.

Yeah.,I'm watching right now and this was nowhere near as hard as he went in on WWE last year.

46 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I'm confused by the argument that AEW shouldn't hire someone because Vince didn't want him enough to keep him. By that logic, they couldn't hire anyone, because anyone who qualified would be under contract.

I understand the concern of AEW turning into "WWE cast-off land". That's part of what did TNA in, both in the short term and the long. But I think AEW is in a much better place, both creatively and popularity-wise, than TNA ever was. Should they hire everyone who gets released? No. Should they hire anyone right this minute, when everything is in flux? Maybe not. But I would argue "Guy who was working extended programme with Daniel Bryan this week" is no worse than "Guy who was being cuckolded by Bobby Lashley", "Guys who couldn't get on TV", or even "Guys who haven't been on TV since February."

The problem with TNA was that they took “cast-off” WWE guys and made them seem less important then WWE did except in rare cases like Lashley. 

33 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well AEW is doing a mystery guy. This could be somebody already signed, or it could be a guy that was released recently. I just hope this isn’t Gulak.

Well if it isn't Invisible Stan then what's the point of a mystery participant?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well AEW is doing a mystery guy. This could be somebody already signed, or it could be a guy that was released recently. I just hope this isn’t Gulak.

Your obsession with Gulak is getting weird.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Zartan said:

The problem with TNA was that they took “cast-off” WWE guys and made them seem less important then WWE did except in rare cases like Lashley. 

I thought the problem was the opposite: taking “cast-off” WWE guys and immediately pushing them over homegrown stars.

And really, that’s the issue. WCW and WWE signed fired, underused guys all the time. But instead of immediately pushing them to the moon, they tended to slot them appropriately and built them slowly.

I remember my father having to pull me out of a jamb at around that age when I got caught in a afternoon current.

Looks like they went too far out. The rescue did get there, but he wanted his son to be saved before him, so he did what he felt was right to save his own sons life.

The Shad thing I don't even want to entertain that until we gt something official cuz without coming off as a callous dick there's really only one option unless he's a merman.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

The Shad thing I don't even want to entertain that until we gt something official cuz without coming off as a callous dick there's really only one option unless he's a merman.

You're thinking he was captured by pirates, aren't you?

• Haha 2