DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

If this means that the next time AEW runs a Tag Tournament, Soldier Ant and Fire Ant enter, that would be good.

• Like 5

They could bring him in as a character that says AEW is hypocritical. They said they were going to be an alternative to what fans are used to, and he can highlight some of the corny things done that are done in WWE. He can say he is there to make AEW what they are supposed to be. 

15 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

They could bring him in as a character that says AEW is hypocritical. They said they were going to be an alternative to what fans are used to, and he can highlight some of the corny things done that are done in WWE. He can say he is there to make AEW what they are supposed to be. 

“Pure sports build”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Well thankfully they don’t do the awful Heyman worked shoot promos.

52 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Is Pinkie still wrestling?

He's still a part of Team Pazuzu in Beyond Wrestling, with Chris Dickinson (and also Santana & Ortiz sometimes).

I have seen his retirement match though. It was in 2012.

12 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Gulak is in a tough situation. Does he deserve the raise? Yes he definitely does. Should he have asked for more money during a global pandemic where many of his co-workers are being let go? That's the tricky part. He could have rode the wave for awhile, sold some merch and been ok.

That’s kind of where I would be at, except pulling the offer as a result of Gulak making a counteroffer is ridiculous.  Presumably they saw him as expendable enough to serve as a warning to the rest of the roster.

• Like 1

Pinkie Sanchez showed up to a house party during my birthday once. We ended up playing No Mercy at some point and had Test win the world title during a 6-man scramble, since he had died the previous day.

Good times.

• Like 4

Guest Edwin
7 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Obviously Mox and Jericho were stars prior, but still badly mishandled.

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's a terrible take.

Anyway, til this occurred:

??‍♂️?

I remember seeing photos of Bret's return and he looked like a goof dressed like Cena.

Edited by Edwin

4 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

And maybe Cody doesn't like Drew for whatever reason and that keeps him off their radar. Entirely possible. But the bar of entry you're setting for this company strikes me as being unreasonable. 

I do recall Cody not liking Gulak as of a few years back over some stupid backstage deal at an Evolve show, so there is a real chance that AEW may not be an option for him.

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Pinkie Sanchez showed up to a house party during my birthday once. We ended up playing No Mercy at some point and had Test win the world title during a 6-man scramble, since he had died the previous day.

Good times.

Did that end up in J. Peterman's book?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Nothing about him screams “Can’t miss talent” right now

There is not a single goddamn moment of his in-ring career over the last 10 years or so that I have wanted to miss. CZW is not the vibe I want to watch. I drank that shit up when he was on his way up and on top there. 

Catch Point was not to be fucked with, and I disagree that the "No-Fly Zone / Better 205" stuff fell flat. I thought it worked just about as well as anything of that nature was going to in that particular fed. I enjoyed it more the first time around in CZW, as it felt like a much deeper issue because of the stand he was taking against ultraviolence.

I feel like because he hasn't done anything that has resonated with you, you are being dismissive of the idea that he might get that kind of reaction from anyone.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they could take on Gulak and Cassidy. 

#k5

I am sick and tired of your constant lies about this subject: all of the Chikara Ants were NOT guys in masks, they were all real honest to God giant mutated ants taught to wrestle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Dewar said:

I cannot believe you just insulted the Destruction Crew like that.

If Gulak ends up in AEW, pair him with the Revolt. Insult spot monkey wrestling, and boom. Very over heels.

If/when The Revolt end up in AEW, there is no way there are going to be heels.  They could straight-up MURDER Cody Rhodes in the ring and people are going to cheer them.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of The Revival but their gimmick (Throwback guys), talking points (respecting tag team wrestling), history (NXT darlings to being shat upon by Vince/WWE creative) and standing up to the uber-evil WWE and Vince, I honestly think there is not one single thing they can do that will get them booed upon their entrance to AEW.  Down the line, they could maybe align against somebody popular/alongside somebody hated, but for the first 6 months to a year, they are going to be crazy-over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caley said:

If/when The Revolt end up in AEW, there is no way there are going to be heels.  They could straight-up MURDER Cody Rhodes in the ring and people are going to cheer them.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of The Revival but their gimmick (Throwback guys), talking points (respecting tag team wrestling), history (NXT darlings to being shat upon by Vince/WWE creative) and standing up to the uber-evil WWE and Vince, I honestly think there is not one single thing they can do that will get them booed upon their entrance to AEW.  Down the line, they could maybe align against somebody popular/alongside somebody hated, but for the first 6 months to a year, they are going to be crazy-over.

Agreed. It'll be interesting to see when fans are allowed back live.

The Revival coming out to back up Hangman after The Elite turns on him is going to be massive.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Edwin said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but that's a terrible take.

Nobody's suggesting you're a jerk, but perhaps you'd care to elaborate?  

I will also elaborate.  I'm of the belief that Chris Jericho was incredibly entertaining, and arguably the best performer in the industry, during his WCW run.  He jumped to WWF and had a strong debut and a good month before getting his balls cut off over petty politics.  Regardless, he did the best with what he could, and certainly had some good matches over his tenure, but his promos and character work (from what I've seen of that run) never allowed him to reach the level of quality/creativity of his WCW run.  Or this current AEW run.  

Moxley's WWE run I've seen little more than a handful of matches, but from what I hear from the horse's mouth he was forced into some universally agreed upon awful creative.  Something about a little red wagon?  I mean in general is anyone benefitting from the current WWE creative?  

All that said, on the topic of Drew Gulak - I'm with bringing him in.  He seems like an excellent technician and a perfect fit for any promotion. And AEW in particular. I agree the gatekeeper talk is a bit ridiculous considering their thin roster depth.  

So again, please elaborate on your assessment of my assessment.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

12 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

He needs to create a bigger splash after this departure

He doesn't. He just worked a clinic with Smackdown with Daniel Bryan, having worked a PPV clinic with him a couple of years ago. He has a gimmick where Bryan was learning from HIM. He has nothing to prove.

It's true that AEW isn't exactly full of mat wrestling, but that's exactly why they need him. A NJPW tour as a junior or a ROH run isn't going to put him in a better position than he is right now.

This is just an easy win. He can wrestle, he can talk, there is history there if you want it. he's got his name. Plus you can feature him THIS WEEK which is a rarer than hen's teeth opportunity these days. AEW will be insane not to take it.

• Like 1