DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

6 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Folks, I want you to know I’ve just watched a Big Bully Busick squash from 1991 wherein he performs a Skull Crushing Finale and Rainmaker in the space of 3 minutes. A true innovator 

EDIT: Proof

this makes me sad. Nick was a good friend of mine. I actually worked with him on his final show in his hometown of Weirton. I was doing commentary/ring announcing (double duty)  He worked Josef Von Schmitt (was trained by Corey Graves) doing a German gimmick. I went out and did the Pledge to the flag and mid pledge was attacked by Von Schmitt. Bully made the save and I finished with "and Justice for all!!"  Bully won the match which was quite bloody, both guys busted open and I am honored to have been on commentary for his final match. He was doing work as a doorman/guard out here in Pittsburgh before he passed.  Last time I saw him I was working an FSW show in Cranberry with Shane Douglas and Bully came into the locker room to say hi to everyone. The show was at a municipal building and in the locker room the sign said "no bully zone"  I have a pic with Shane and Bully next to the sign.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

They might have wrestled each other a lot but they sure as heck didn't bring out the best in each other

They had one really good-great match before Cena was injured and were somehow never able to come even close to it again afterward. I still wonder how and why. The chemistry was generally there.

I watched about five minutes of Impact! today and is there a more irritating current wrestling announcer than Josh Matthews?!  I'm sure he was trained by WWE to react to every strike (Because if you watch WWE, you can hear it in a lot of their shorter-tenured announcers Renee Young (When she was calling), Percy Watson (When he was caling) and Beth Phoenix where they would go "Whoa!" "Wow!" to every strike) but Matthews is the only announcer I've heard who feels the need to react to every strike and move WHILE his partner is talking.  He used to do it to Dinero and Borash all the time, but now that he's calling it with his wife, it's worse than ever.  Rayne was playing the heel commentator and telling a story about Moose being a deserving world champion and it was like this: "Well I for ("Wow!") one think that Moose is a deserving ("Oops!") champion so I think he should have the ("Oh!") belt" (with the parantheses being Matthews shouting out exclamations in reaction to in-ring moves while Madison is talking).  It's the worst.  I cannot stand it.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Orton - Edge

They will be having a normal one fall match coming up, and if that happens as planned, that could be the greatest match ever.

This match needs to end with a rollup in less than a minute.

To quickly follow up on the Drew Gulak thing, the story going around is that his contract was going to expire. The WWE made him an offer. Gulak asked for a raise (since he is featured more prominently). Not only did the WWE refuse but they pulled the original offer.

The difference 4 months will make

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

This match needs to end with a rollup in less than a minute.

This post reminded me of when @Rev Ray said Joe-Punk III needed to end in 5 minutes with a flash pin.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To quickly follow up on the Drew Gulak thing, the story going around is that his contract was going to expire. The WWE made him an offer. Gulak asked for a raise (since he is featured more prominently). Not only did the WWE refuse but they pulled the original offer.

The difference 4 months will make

Gulak is in a tough situation. Does he deserve the raise? Yes he definitely does. Should he have asked for more money during a global pandemic where many of his co-workers are being let go? That's the tricky part. He could have rode the wave for awhile, sold some merch and been ok. I am sure Impact or AEW will be interested. He has tons of friends in both companies. Just a tough spot to be in

16 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Gulak is in a tough situation. Does he deserve the raise? Yes he definitely does.

That’s debatable... Most guys got these extravagant raises in the first place because of AEW, and Tony Khan’s money. With no competition offering major contracts he no longer has leverage. And I don’t blame him for asking for a raise. Even though we are going through this pandemic the WWE is still turning a billion dollar profit. So they can afford to still give out contracts like that. But they won’t because they have the advantage again. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

We don't even know what he was making. It could have been awful and he just wanted to be able to afford to live.

• Like 1

I feel like Drew would have disappeared off tv the same day WWE started running with live crowds again.

Unfortunate for him, but he apparently really misread the room and overestimated his value to the company.  

Wonder if there's more to it.  Pulling the existing contract offer seems like it might have become personal.  Then again, maybe he sneezed within earshot of Vince.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Log said:

Best wrestler names of all time:

1. Randy “Macho Man” Savage

2. Gorilla Monsoon

3. Big John Studd

Honorable Mention: Bam Bam Bigelow

Dick Blood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

Best wrestler names of all time:

1. Randy “Macho Man” Savage

2. Gorilla Monsoon

3. Big John Studd

Honorable Mention: Bam Bam Bigelow

A good wrestling name needs a combo of alliteration, hard consonant sounds and describing the character. Maybe not all 3 but you need at least one of those. Something like Ravishing Rick Rude is awesome. It sounds cool, rolls off the tongue and tells you exactly what you need to know about the guy. Ric Flair as well. It's his real name (spelling changed) but it's got the hard "c" and Flair is a word that means stylishness. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

A good wrestling name needs a combo of alliteration, hard consonant sounds and describing the character. Maybe not all 3 but you need at least one of those. Something like Ravishing Rick Rude is awesome. It sounds cool, rolls off the tongue and tells you exactly what you need to know about the guy. Ric Flair as well. It's his real name (spelling changed) but it's got the hard "c" and Flair is a word that means stylishness. 

Hulk Hogan would fit that nicely 

• Like 1

Gulak has been consistently fucking awesome since the CWC, constantly improved and altered character and gimmick, and stepped up big-time lately. Of all the recent WWE departures, I can't think of anybody besides The Revolt who I'd rather see in AEW.

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

I don’t think Gulak fits in at all right now. He’s one of those guys who would benefit from an indie, and Japan run by being booked strong. Then when the time is right, bring him in as top contender, but right now he’s just a scrub from the WWE roster. That’s what has hurt Brodie Lee. He didn’t go back to the indies, and reinvent himself, he just showed up to AEW TV, and now he’s a top star again. I can buy FTR coming in, and being instant Tag contenders because of reputation, but somebody like Gulak, and Lee just don’t have that same Kayfabe cred.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Gulak already has a shit ton of Indy cred under his belt, and also just came off a program with arguably the biggest mainstream star with THE most Indy cred. I'm sure he'd do just fine. 

• Like 6

He needs a little more. Hey ROH is bringing back the Pure Title. He’s a good candidate to hold it. They also still have a relationship with New Japan. He defends it in the states, and Japan, gaining more exposure for himself, and booking more indie dates. That stuff will add more value to his name so when he’s ready to return to TV, he’ll get the contract he’s looking for. Because right now all he has is I wrestled on WWE’s TV. Sure he has past indie cred, but he didn’t have the next level cred that AJ Styles, or Kenny Omega had before they signed big money deals. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Can't fault Gulak at all. He stepped up when needed and asked for a raise for a job well done. Was he supposed to blindly re-sign for the same amount? That's a bad idea in any industry, always ask for more money.

I hope we see Gulak in the New Japan junior division. He would be a lot of fun and a nice counterpoint to Ospreay and Hiromu. He could be good for AEW too but for some reason he seems a little like a square peg for their style right now. Normally I'd say he could make a mint touring the indies again but who knows how many will still be viable when travel is up and running again.

• Like 2