DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:42 PM, HumanChessgame said:

After seeing Scott Norton on last night's Dark Side of the Ring, I was looking into what he's been up to lately on wikipedia and saw that he released his autobiography last year. Has anyone read it?

I'm way late on this. But I just read it a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. He talked about working in Japan a lot and kind of admitting being along for the ride with the NWO. Overall it was fine and gave a few insights on a wrestler not much talked about.

• Like 1

All of his Sting matches were good to great. the angles building to the matches, some of them were good and other were Russo. The Jarrett feud was better than you'd believe, because there's the whole real life situations that got involved (like Angle doing a newspaper interview saying he might leave at the end of his contract while insisting to TNA management (meaning Jeff Jarrett) that he was there for the long haul. Or then Kurt and Karen getting divorced and Karen marrying Jeff, so Kurt's only children at the time now lived in Jeff's house). They bought the best out of each other in the ring and out of it. Probably Jarrett's best work outside of being a kid in Memphis.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude I miss D'lo. Around 2006 or 2007ish maybe, I was at a SmackDown taping and they had Slyck Wagner Brown doing a dark match, but production played D'lo's music by mistake somehow, and honestly for a half-full building it was a pretty meaty pop

I've been a D'Lo fan for decades.  He always came off to me as someone being themselves.  I was at the RAW where CM Punk cashed in Money in the Bank on Edge.  The last time I went to a WWE show I had a "Push D'Lo" sign like the nerd that I am, and I joked about that.  Then the dark match started.  And his music played.  And I lost my shit.  The crowd gave him a great reaction too.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Remember last month when I asked for help putting together a compilation about folklore? Well imagine I posted the once again bernie meme.

The compilation I'm putting together right now is on Married Couples. Not literally married couples, but the ideas of matchups that have wrestled each other so many times that they're capable of tighter and more intense matches than irregular opponents. I need help coming up with some more examples of this. Here's what I have now

• Rey Mysterio & Psicosis
  • Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Hijo Del Santo & Negro Casas
  • Ric Flair & Ricky Steamboat
  • Eddie Guerrero & Chris Benoit
  • Finlay & Regal
  • Rock & Roll Express & The Midnight Express
  • The Four Pillars of AJPW

Anyone else come to mind? Double points for joshi because I have a big blindspot there I'm trying to fill in.

Von Erichs and Freebirds qualify? 

Folks, I want you to know I’ve just watched a Big Bully Busick squash from 1991 wherein he performs a Skull Crushing Finale and Rainmaker in the space of 3 minutes. A true innovator 

EDIT: Proof

Edited by BurningBeard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan of D'Lo (first Eurocontinental Champion, bay-bee!), but he definitely doesn't come of as himself even turned up a little after seeing him as a talking head on "Dark Side of the Ring." 

He definitely comes off like a nerdy accountant who learned to put on a specific social mask in order to blend in. 

The sign talk above got me thinking of my favorite signs. I think I like the really random ones the best. Scott Steiner cut a promo on Nitro or Thunder that was his typical rambling affair. But at one point he goes, "IF YOU MAKE ME RICE, I'LL MAKE YA SCREAM TWICE!" The next Thunder or Nitro someone has a sign that says "Got Rice?"

I think my all time favorite was either a Judgment Day or Backlash in Chicago. It may have been the one where the Two Man Power Trip took on the Brothers of Destruction. Anyway, X-Pac has a match earlier in the night and the people in the upper level right at the railing drop this bed sheet that's duct taped to the rail and all it said was "DIE X-PAC." No one told them to take it down I assume because it was up there for a long time. If anyone rewatches this, the sign is to the left side of the stage. This was also a PPV where Shane did another dive off of the Titanttron.

The absolute worst one I saw, the most fucked up one was one that said "Where's Owen?" Like, come on. Have a modicum of class.

42 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Folks, I want you to know I’ve just watched a Big Bully Busick squash from 1991 wherein he performs a Skull Crushing Finale and Rainmaker in the space of 3 minutes. A true innovator 

When Dennis Condrey did it as part of the MX, it was called "the Dreambuster." 

9 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

Remember last month when I asked for help putting together a compilation about folklore? Well imagine I posted the once again bernie meme.

The compilation I'm putting together right now is on Married Couples. Not literally married couples, but the ideas of matchups that have wrestled each other so many times that they're capable of tighter and more intense matches than irregular opponents. I need help coming up with some more examples of this. Here's what I have now

• Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Finlay & Regal

Anyone else come to mind? Double points for joshi because I have a big blindspot there I'm trying to fill in.

I feel like Nakano and Aja Kong worked each other enough that they could wrestle each other in their sleep.

10 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

• Tajiri & Super Crazy
  • Finlay & Regal

Vic Steamboat and Tony Atlas. Those guys could go out and have a match against each other, week after week, without even trying.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

The compilation I'm putting together right now is on Married Couples. Not literally married couples, but the ideas of matchups that have wrestled each other so many times that they're capable of tighter and more intense matches than irregular opponents. I need help coming up with some more examples of this. Anyone else come to mind?

Jimmy Snuka vs Metal Maniac

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

So here's a twitter thread that could grow and grow:

Read the replies 

Look, if Stevens wants to come back to DVDVR, post, and have a Secret Santo pairing, we're more than happy to have him back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Cena-Orton

They might have wrestled each other a lot but they sure as heck didn't bring out the best in each other

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

They might have wrestled each other a lot but they sure as heck didn't bring out the best in each other

shit, I read that wrong.  I agree. Sadly I was at their Iron man match at Bragging Rights, and their Royal Rumble Match. 

Cactus-Funk 

RVD- Jerry Lynn

Guest Edwin
5 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

EDIT: Proof