DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Speaking of things WON related

The angle with Rey Misterio Jr is because he hasn't signed a new deal yet and this is a way for him to be written off if he doesn't re-sign (though the expectation is that he will)

This is the situation with Mysterio. They shot an angle on Raw this week where Rollins took out his eye. Mysterio’s contract is coming due and at least as of a week ago he had not signed a new deal. I don’t expect him to leave but it’s not a lock that he won’t. One of the key things to him is the future of his son. There is the idea not to do anything to upset WWE because it could negatively affect his son’s career. He also has a very high contract with WWE because they very badly didn’t want him working for New Japan, which he had just started doing. He signed before there was an AEW, but after the new TV deals were made so they knew they had all the money they’d ever need to sign people they wanted and Mysterio got a great deal, and was able to negotiate an 18 month out which the feeling was would make it perfect timing to be a free agent. But it’s not perfect timing now. The word is that WWE is not giving any raises right now, so the guys who signed in the last year or so, after AEW started, and got the big offers based on them wanting to own everyone marketable looks to be a lot more limited. One would have to think there is interest in Mysterio in AEW, especially since they booked him in the main event of All In (which WWE badly wanted him off of but he refused at the time to pull out of that commitment). But, the economics are different for AEW as well. I’m not saying they won’t offer Mysterio big or bigger money, but with the current economic situation, it makes it a harder decision to make. Going seven figures plus when there are no live gates and the TV money is what it is whether you sign new people or not makes a lot of new expenses tough. So the Rollins thing when Rollins took out his eye is either to give him an angle with Rollins if he stays, or it’s following the Matt Hardy playbook if he leaves

• Like 2

It's the exact Matt Hardy playbook, right down to having him get a beating and a career ending injury, then come back immediately and get another career ending injury as well. Only they didn't have Randy Orton do both this time.

I like Mysterio in WWE but am really curious to see what he can do outside of it.  Going off of All In there's a dream match with Ibushi that could be bonkers.  So for that alone I'd love to see him in New Japan again.  Then there's the other talents to work with also that would make things really intriguing.  AEW is a good option but I don't think they need anybody else at the moment and think New Japan would be better at this time.  Once he goes through whatever awesome matchups there then AEW by then would be good for him.

Guest Edwin
1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like Mysterio in WWE but am really curious to see what he can do outside of it.  Going off of All In there's a dream match with Ibushi that could be bonkers.  So for that alone I'd love to see him in New Japan again.  Then there's the other talents to work with also that would make things really intriguing.  AEW is a good option but I don't think they need anybody else at the moment and think New Japan would be better at this time.  Once he goes through whatever awesome matchups there then AEW by then would be good for him.

AEW would benefit of having a vet. like Rey in the locker room.

Just a general rant and going back to the Juniors Division -- not trying to be a hipster or anything, but I have no idea how some of you have sat through some of those years of WWE. Oof. I gave up on WWE in the early late 90's when I discovered other wrestling and I honestly never looked back until 2 or so years ago when I began somewhat following NXT because they are a local brand.

They've had some rough periods with folks that just don't appeal to me. Evolution for example to me was terrible, yet folks loved them.

There's so many people I want to see Rey get to work with in NJPW before he retires. I have no idea how well it would go, but man, I want to see Rey vs Ishii. And obviously Rey vs Hiromu.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There's so many people I want to see Rey get to work with in NJPW before he retires. I have no idea how well it would go, but man, I want to see Rey vs Ishii. And obviously Rey vs Hiromu.

*drools*  Yeah, man, sign me up for all of that.

To Edwin's point I get the need for a vet in the locker room and considering the high flyers they have it does make sense.  So I just wanted to clarify that I would love to see him in AEW.  But for right now I would love to see him in NJPW that much more before heading there.

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

*drools*  Yeah, man, sign me up for all of that.

To Edwin's point I get the need for a vet in the locker room and considering the high flyers they have it does make sense.  So I just wanted to clarify that I would love to see him in AEW.  But for right now I would love to see him in NJPW that much more before heading there.

That's been kind of my feeling for a bunch of these releases. I've been telling anyone who will listen how badly I want Rusev and Gallows/Anderson in AEW, but then I think about the great matches they have pretty much just waiting for them in the NWA..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Rusev seems to be in fuck it mode, and has become Twitch Streamer. I mean he is Eastern European. 

He's a little too old to become a pro Dota 2 player.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

You're forgetting someone:

https://gfycat.com/teemingfortunateivorybilledwoodpecker

Edited by sabremike

51 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That hasn't been stopping Cesaro's attempts to climb the ranks in League of Legends. 

I really don't like LoL, but I should see if Cesaro has any streams of his games. Someone should convince him to switch to Dota.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I really don't like LoL, but I should see if Cesaro has any streams of his games. Someone should convince him to switch to Dota.

He streams on Twitch regularly,

That one red-haired lady ugly-crying when Savage and Liz reunite after the Savage/Warrior career-ending match is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. Every time, I'm touched that she's that touched at the resolution to this whole storyline. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That one red-haired lady ugly-crying when Savage and Liz reunite after the Savage/Warrior career-ending match is one of my favorite wrestling visuals ever. Every time, I'm touched that she's that touched at the resolution to this whole storyline. 

Related to that idea - I absolutely adore the kid who loses his shit when Ron Simmons wins the title

simmonssplits.gif

I remember when I cared about things...

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I see your...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuNa9NsoE3u539z9kaC9D

and raise you with...

b51d8-15406535567899-800.jpg

• Haha 1