DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Well, I just saw Booker/Goldberg, and it was like three or four minutes and not on PPV. 

Man, they put over Booker fairly strong in that match, though. Too bad the ship was well sinking at this point. 

I genuinely have never heard about Daniels being considered for the Higher Power angle. That's really interesting. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I started seeing Daniel’s in the early 2000’s when UPW was broadcasting their shows on RealTV player, so I never really saw him prior to that. What pushed them into thinking about Daniels in the HIgher Power for the WWF? Was there an angle that convinced them that this guy could be the one?

Not an angle per se, but iirc it was all because of the Fallen Angel gimmick.

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

Modest worked regularly on the APW Gym Wars shows along with Christopher Daniels, American Wildchild, Blitzkrieg, Crash Holly, Vic Grimes, etc. They wrestled in someone's garage and had a small following, but created enough of a buzz and they all got WCW and WWF dark match tryouts.

There's a ton of that footage online for those of you curious.

AWC didn't work up north all that often. I know for sure I saw him on a show or two in the Garage, but I don't think he was booked more than a handful of times. Blitzkrieg I think was only a one time deal. Not like CD, who was here for 5 or 6 shows a year for like 3 or 4 years. And we were just talking about Vic and Erin in another thread not that long ago.

APW was the fucking shit. Garage shows were mad fun, but they ran all over the fucking place. So I could wait for them to come to San Jose every month or two, I didn't always have to barge to Hayward to see good wrestling.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 9:07 AM, Edwin said:

No. The dude was afraid to throwdown with Enzo. Not even drunk would he try to get into a fight with a UFC fighter.

Enzo would've kicked his ass, which is part of the problem people have with Joey Janela...

How much were Modest and the other guys hurt by Roland Alexander?

Dude was always going on message boards and running his mouth at Heyman, etc.

When he died, even Dave talked as if his bombastic side really turned off a lot of front office people in WWF/WCW.

And, of course, he was sleazy as fuck.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

How much were Modest and the other guys hurt by Roland Alexander?

Dude was always going on message boards and running his mouth at Heyman, etc.

When he died, even Dave talked as if his bombastic side really turned off a lot of front office people in WWF/WCW.

And, of course, he was sleazy as fuck.

The Brian Ong thing is seriously one of the most sick and fucked up things in the history of pro wrestling. Ong was killed in training (aided and abetted by just unbelievable gross negligence that saw the people in charge ignore that the kid was messed up bad) and the entire thing was kept hushed up for close to a year until the kids family filed a wrongful death suit. The idea that something like that could be kept under wraps for that long is mind blowing.

6 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

If you go on WWE Network now, they already have Taker Last Ride on there. I'm watching it now. Thought it wasn't supposed to be on til after the ppv but apparently they gave us a gift or they fucked up. 

They put it up early this morning On Demand. The “premiere” is tonight after Money In The Bank. But it was always their intent for it to be up on demand this morning as I read about it Thursday night on Meltzer’s site.

With no Crowds at the Events, how does WWE detect what is getting over with the Audience, are they going by Social media, YouTube video views. I know tv ratings are down ridiculously low because of the circumstances but I feel bad for the Current champions Braun and McIntyre right now because they got their first world/universal title runs and there's no real metrics to measure how over a person is. Business wasn't good before all this and I imagine it will take a while to recover from this attendance wise and viewership wise when it does get back to normal. I thought Braun should've been Champ Years ago and I thought between RR and before the lockdown they'd build Drew nicely leading up to his win. I hope when WWE come out on the other side of this, that they do get anything held against them.

28 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

With no Crowds at the Events, how does WWE detect what is getting over with the Audience, are they going by Social media, YouTube video views. I know tv ratings are down ridiculously low because of the circumstances but I feel bad for the Current champions Braun and McIntyre right now because they got their first world/universal title runs and there's no real metrics to measure how over a person is. Business wasn't good before all this and I imagine it will take a while to recover from this attendance wise and viewership wise when it does get back to normal. I thought Braun should've been Champ Years ago and I thought between RR and before the lockdown they'd build Drew nicely leading up to his win. I hope when WWE come out on the other side of this, that they do get anything held against them.

Luckily Vince doesn’t hold grudges.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

With no Crowds at the Events, how does WWE detect what is getting over with the Audience, are they going by Social media, YouTube video views. 

When was the last time they actually cared about what was getting over with the audience?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Updated story on the Del Rio arrest. Warning: The details of the assault are very disturbing. Dude needs to be locked up for a long, long time.

Thanks for the warning. I'm not going to read. I'll watch Mirko Cro Cop KTFO him way back when instead:

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5