DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

Jun Akiyama to DDT!

Less interestingly, Brad Shepard of Pro Sports Extra has been fired by Pro Sports Extra. Oh, and Rovert blocked me for asking why WWE fired Chris Hero. So that's three good things today already.

• Like 2

There won't be any merge, and Jun is there to pass down what he knows to DDT roster wrestlers. NOAH is owned by CyberAgent but still is separate from the DDT brands.

EXlOGW6VAAEvXlv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

this could be nostalgia misremembering but WCW got really fun circa December 2000 until the closing stretch. Cruiserweight ace (in trunks!) Shane Helms with the vertebreaker, the main event built around Steiner and Booker, Flair and Dusty doing really fun old man comedy stuff. I enjoyed it a lot. Who was booking then?

I believe it was Johnny Ace that was booking during that late 2000-2001 period.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leonard said:

I realise this means it makes even less sense but the Varsity Club comeback was smack in the middle of Russo's first WCW stint, Sullivan wasn't booking until 6ish weeks later

That makes sense actually cuz there is a definite misogynistic nastiness to the gimmick.  In that PG13 match there is a woman in a bikini top, said woman being berated into doing push-ups and duck walks then being berated for not doing a good job and also her being Irish-whipped into her opponent so she can elbow him in the balls; all hallmarks of the Vince Russo handbook

10 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Very late stage WCW had some great cruiserweight stuff. Was it Christopher Daniels who had an exhibition match on TV and landed on his head trying a moonsault?

Against Michael Modest! They were hyped as basically the two best unsigned wrestlers in the US at the time, so WCW had them in there against each other, then had Scott Steiner beat them up and "break" both their arms. 

I remember it quite vividly because Daniels was doing an indy show in Vancouver and me and my best friend booked an entire week off of work vacation to go see him and the day before we were supposed to go, here's Daniels on Nitro and falling on his head, so we left thinking "We probably booked an entire vacation around seeing a guy who either signed with WCW or is likely too injured to wrestle this week".  But, lo and behold, he was there on Friday with an admittedly sore neck.  I believe the story was that WCW told Daniels and Modest they would be signing them both, but had to keep them off TV until their kayfabe injuries healed and in the interim, WWE bought out WCW and had no interest in either, so they both missed their little window at a major US deal.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure Daniels had been signed with WCW for almost a year at that point.

EDIT: IGN says he signed in 2000, and was supposed to start in April of that year (his tryout match was a dark match before Nitro against Mikey Henderson). But Wikipedia says he and Modest signed 90 day contracts after that Nitro match. *Yano gif*

Edited by Casey

3 hours ago, evidence said:

I believe it was Johnny Ace that was booking during that late 2000-2001 period.

I don’t think he had the book but it was him who built Lance Storm’s programme and got him massively over

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is there a reason Modest worked a match with, and beat The Artist, but then disappeared for almost a year before the Daniels match?

At the Spring Break 2000 episode? Well, they did the hard reboot two weeks later and the clip show between those two episodes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm pretty sure Daniels had been signed with WCW for almost a year at that point.

EDIT: IGN says he signed in 2000, and was supposed to start in April of that year (his tryout match was a dark match before Nitro against Mikey Henderson). But Wikipedia says he and Modest signed 90 day contracts after that Nitro match. *Yano gif*

Wasn't CD also supposed to be Vampiro's "Higher Power" at some point as well?

29 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At the Spring Break 2000 episode? Well, they did the hard reboot two weeks later and the clip show between those two episodes.

Still weird that they wouldn’t want somebody fresh like Modest to be apart of that. I guess people in charge changing so much didn’t help.

Just now, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Still weird that they wouldn’t want somebody fresh like Modest to be apart of that. I guess people in charge changing so much didn’t help.

I'm pretty sure that's the #1 reason.

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Is there a reason Modest worked a match with, and beat The Artist, but then disappeared for almost a year before the Daniels match?

I think the match with the Artist was around the time Beyond The Mat had come out. They were also in between bookers at the time IIRC and I wanna say Sullivan was running things until they hired someone, and be brought Modest in. Then whoever they hired decided not to continue using him. 

2 hours ago, caley said:

Against Michael Modest! They were hyped as basically the two best unsigned wrestlers in the US at the time, so WCW had them in there against each other, then had Scott Steiner beat them up and "break" both their arms. 

I remember it quite vividly because Daniels was doing an indy show in Vancouver and me and my best friend booked an entire week off of work vacation to go see him and the day before we were supposed to go, here's Daniels on Nitro and falling on his head, so we left thinking "We probably booked an entire vacation around seeing a guy who either signed with WCW or is likely too injured to wrestle this week".  But, lo and behold, he was there on Friday with an admittedly sore neck.  I believe the story was that WCW told Daniels and Modest they would be signing them both, but had to keep them off TV until their kayfabe injuries healed and in the interim, WWE bought out WCW and had no interest in either, so they both missed their little window at a major US deal.

I think that spot and the aftermath made it into one of the TLC docs. We showed a preview of it at a UPW show, and had to send Chris out after it to show he was still alive. (He wasn't booked, but was directing the show in gorilla backstage)

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Modest worked regularly on the APW Gym Wars shows along with Christopher Daniels, American Wildchild, Blitzkrieg, Crash Holly, Vic Grimes, etc. They wrestled in someone's garage and had a small following, but created enough of a buzz and they all got WCW and WWF dark match tryouts.

There's a ton of that footage online for those of you curious.

Edited by Edwin

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Wasn't CD also supposed to be Vampiro's "Higher Power" at some point as well?

Yeah, it was Daniel's under the robe in the vignettes with Vamp.  Hilariously, CD claims dying his hair for the angle was what caused it to fall out and led to him shaving his head.  

Supposedly, Daniels was also pitched as being revealed as the Higher Power in the WWE angle, but Vince thought he was too small.

I started seeing Daniel’s in the early 2000’s when UPW was broadcasting their shows on RealTV player, so I never really saw him prior to that. What pushed them into thinking about Daniels in the HIgher Power for the WWF? Was there an angle that convinced them that this guy could be the one?