DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

I watched a lot of Toryumon at the time and remember nothing of the match other than not really being impressed.

I think it is funny that random Kenny Omega match proved to be so divisive as A) he actually won without the One Winged Angel which is something he should have been doing against lower tier opponents for years now and B) if AEW has a house style it definitely involves wrestlers on a lower tier often getting way too much in on a superior opponent in a match that goes on way longer than it needs to. They've gotten better at it recently now that they don't have access to half their roster and all the major promotions have returned to purer jobber squashes to work around that.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I was just randomly thinking about that match like two days ago after a friend sent me a gif of Dragon Kid hitting one of his beautiful, tight dragonranas. I couldn't find it because I thought it was a tag match. I remember thinking it was super cool at the time, so I gotta go back and watch it over the weekend. Thanks for posting it @Casey and thanks for bringing it up @Edwin.

My favourite, most remembered thing about Toryumon/Dragon Gate was unquestioningly Milano Collection AT's invisible dog.

God, the fact we have really long time posters that have never even seen that company makes me feel old. I know I'm a wrestling dinosaur that doesn't give a shit about the current product or viewpoint but goddamn, that shit is nearly new to me.

• Like 2

That Triple H & Stephanie McMahon show just reads like American Pickers AKA the show I catch my dad watching along with Ancient Aliens. I’m waiting for the inevitable Curse of Oak Island knockoff with Bray Wyatt out of character since he seems like a future History Channel watcher. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

More like current HC watcher, although they may not be conspiracy-minded enough for his tastes.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

we have really long time posters that have never even seen that company

Yeah, I missed that whole era. It turned into Dragon Gate after that and with the stigma they had as being flippy dudes doing flips, I wasn't interested. During the actual timespan I was busy getting trashed and playing in punk bands and after that when I got back into wrestling I just wanted to see All Japan epics.

Fuck, I feel old just thinking about that honestly, so I feel you for sure

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I started watching Japanese wrestling right before Toryumon ended so I have seen very little of it though I like what I've watched. Honestly, I liked what I saw of DG as well. Not sure why I never tried to see more of either.

Guest Edwin
5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have not seen a single goddamn Toryumon match so if anybody wants to do me one for Secret Santo...

Sumo Fujii 2000 and Darkness Dragon are the best.

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was going to ask this question when I saw a show, but is Joe Gomez and Alan Iron Eagle one in the same or is it just Wikipedia fuckery? Joe Gomez's birth year is listed as 1973, but Alan Iron Eagle is in WCW circa 1990. No way is that motherfucker seventeen.

On the subject of jobbers, is the Russian Assassin at Chi-Town Rumble Jack Victory or Dave Sheldon? Victory worked later that night subbing for no show Dennis Condrey. I think it's Sheldon, but a bunch of reviews of the show have it as Jack Victory.

I remember from seeing it in its original airing that it was Victory.  I think the Condrey no-show was very last minute, so it makes sense -- why else was Victory there?  He did double duty.

29 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Leukemia isn’t the problem?

Was Dave’s hunch correct?

Fuck these clickbait headlines.  He tweeted something like "I need to watch out for my kids."  IE, he doesn't want to bring COVID home. 

• Like 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/roman-reigns-wwe-absence-due-newborn-twins-not-health-concerns-310496

Includes the actual video and won't destroy your computer

In an interview with TMZ posted early Friday morning, Roman Reigns said that the reason he is home instead of active in WWE is not due to health concerns, but rather, it's his two newborn twin sons that have his full attention.

"They're 8 weeks old so I had to make a decision for them," he said before reiterating his love for the business.

The 34-year-old addressed speculation that his absence was due to concerns about how COVID-19 could affect his immune system due to his past fights against leukemia, saying that isn't the case.

"Talking to my doctors and stuff, I actually am fine and my immune system is good. The drugs that I take to fight the leukemia, they don't attack your immune system," he said.

(continued in link)

Apropos of nothing, but I’m watching a comp of the Eric Embry vs. Devastation Inc. feud and man...I grew up watching World Class during the glory years, but this might be my favorite era of Texas wrestling. If you asked me to list my favorites, I wouldn’t think of Embry immediately, but he probably belongs on that list. 

What an unlikely top babyface, though. 

• Like 3

Guest Edwin

Since I was talking about tape trading earlier in the thread...

There was a small group of us in Puerto Rico who were in the tape trading community. One of them was close to Victor Quiñones and did some photography for IWA. Quiñones gave him a ton of merch. from IWA JAPAN, FMW, W★ING and various other Japanese promotions. Quiñones, also gave him the IWA/W★ING pilot show from Puerto Rico that is now up on YouTube, but at the time, Quiñones was the only one who had that tape. He then give it to that friend of ours and he sent my friend a copy of it and then of course he began trading it and now it's up on YouTube. ?

I know it's meaningless knowledge, but I'm bored and I thought I'd share the origin of that footage with you folks.

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Apropos of nothing, but I’m watching a comp of the Eric Embry vs. Devastation Inc. feud and man...I grew up watching World Class during the glory years, but this might be my favorite era of Texas wrestling. If you asked me to list my favorites, I wouldn’t think of Embry immediately, but he probably belongs on that list. 

All 45 videos in order. So much goodness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shane said:

Jan 89-Aug 89 WCCW is super underrated and very entertaining.  The key to all of this too is that Embry is absolutely in the wrong through most of this (refusing to leave after losing a loser-leaves-town match.) Definitely going to check the Youtube videos,  hopefully they include the recap segments voiced over by a normal sounding Mick Foley (who was Cactus Jack Manson during all of this.) 

I just remember literally *running* home from school every day to make it in time for the ESPN show. Not sure there’s ever been another show, wrestling or not, that I had that commitment to!

Not only is Embry in the wrong through a lot of this, but Frank Dusek is possibly the worst authority figure ever. He lets Embry get away with anything he wants. Embry wants to come back as referee. Dusek tells him that the has enough refs. Embry kills Harold Harris and Dusek hires him on the spot!

Some unfortunate Arab racial slurs towards Ackbar as well. 

Jerry Lawler vs. JYD in '90 is legitimately awesome and Lawler along with Tenryu are moving from that "I know these guys are great but have flaws" category to "these guys are two of the best ever" territory in my mind during this pandemic. JYD couldn't and didn't do shit by 1990 but holy crap did Lawler clown around and make it so much fun to watch. So simple, yet so enjoyable.

• Like 3

Lawler's versatility as a wrestler is what makes him great. Maybe not in terms of PURE MOVEZ~, but he could work as a fiery babyface, bully '80s-style babyface, chickenshit heel, violent heel, etc. 

He also gets a lot out of a little consistently, which to me is the mark of a great wrestler. Fantastic facial expressions, great body language, and knew when going over the top and doing a big spot like a table spot was worth doing and how to do it for max effect.

He'd be in my top fifteen at worst if I ranked wrestlers all-time. He's consistently good and often great. 

• Like 1

Yeah, his match based around punches with Bockwinkel is one of the coolest matches I've ever seen. Did Goodhelmet do a Lawler set? 

edit: Jyeeeezuschwist! Google says he has an 80 disc set! ?

Edited by Oyaji

That Lawler/Bock match is great. 

I went through as much Memphis stuff as I could find online maybe a decade or so ago, maybe a bit longer, and it was just so good. It's funny because before the late '90s, I just thought of Lawler as an irritating commentator, and then I saw that documentary about the Lawler/Kaufman feud on Comedy Central, and I was just like, holy shit, Lawler was good?! Also, I need to see more of this Memphis stuff someday. 

And yeah, he definitely was. 

EDIT: I never got that Portland set from Goodhelmet, and I deeply regret it. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 1