DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

No matter how you slice, it's really fucked up and backwards. None of it makes sense except to the workaholic, septuagenarian, energy drink addict running the company.

It also just goes to show you how little respect Vince and anyone else has for anyone's intelligence. I really wish someone would sit Vince down and re-play his promo from Raw years ago where they weren't going to insult the audience's intelligence anymore because I feel like that's all they consistently do now. And Vince and presumably Bruce and others working the boys like that is ultra shitty. This ties into Hagan's review of JR's new book where this is a company that mentally and verbally abuses it's employees, but everyone cuts Vince so much slack that no one ever really goes all the way speaking the truth about what goes on. 

Because of his position in the business and also I think it's the not completely burning your bridges aspect. I'm listening to the Revival on Jericho's podcast and they are talking about how they talked to Vince and how surprised at how educated they were and about being from North Carolina too like he was. Its asham how Vince views people in certain way, much like Luke Harper too. I always think about Vince telling Austin on his podcast that the current guys are complacent and dont come to him with ideas, then you hear guys go on Podcast saying they pitched stuff to creative and Vince directly all the time. The Revival are very smart guys to the business, I see why they insisted on leaving because they know that they can go further with the chains of WWE off them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Vince owned the belt.

And yeah - there was pretty much no one else. I mean Moolah held the title for two more years before dropping it again.

Richter was one of Moolah's girls and Vince probably thought "Moolah can handle herself if Richter shoots after getting screwed". 

Even if there was no one else...the whole thing doesn't seem to pass the smell test for a true screwjob even with all of that into play.

I'm not sure, but even if they're covered in a full body suit, a woman in her 20s in peak physical condition would probably look a little bit different than a woman in her 60s in the same body suit, and if Richter was suddenly across the ring from a woman in her 60s, it'd be...kind of safe to say "this is obviously Moolah, and the fix is in" and be able to get out of dodge long before that happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

If only there was a forum for discussing video games....

To be fair, it’s not like the Vince bashing or AEW hagiography stays in their respective threads, either. ? 

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

about being from North Carolina too like he was

Exactly. He's still in denial/feels guilty about his trailer-park background and that has altered his judgement. He hates it so much that it can't be possible that someone else's experiences are different... right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even if there was no one else...the whole thing doesn't seem to pass the smell test for a true screwjob even with all of that into play.

I'm not sure, but even if they're covered in a full body suit, a woman in her 20s in peak physical condition would probably look a little bit different than a woman in her 60s in the same body suit, and if Richter was suddenly across the ring from a woman in her 60s, it'd be...kind of safe to say "this is obviously Moolah, and the fix is in" and be able to get out of dodge long before that happens.

My thought all along was she knew it was Moolah the whole time and the screwjob was the finish. Maybe they told Richter she would pin Moolah and she would unmask and get a pop from the crowd.

• Like 3

Regarding the Revival stuff, I think it's conceivable that the leak came from someone in creative. I work for a big corporation and I go in every day and do whatever they tell me, but I hate that company and the way they do business. I just need a job to live my life. I assume there are creative types that work for WWE that see some of the silly shit they're asked to do and feel sympathy for the boys and/or simply loathe the bosses. 

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Because of his position in the business and also I think it's the not completely burning your bridges aspect. I'm listening to the Revival on Jericho's podcast and they are talking about how they talked to Vince and how surprised at how educated they were and about being from North Carolina too like he was. Its asham how Vince views people in certain way, much like Luke Harper too. I always think about Vince telling Austin on his podcast that the current guys are complacent and dont come to him with ideas, then you hear guys go on Podcast saying they pitched stuff to creative and Vince directly all the time. The Revival are very smart guys to the business, I see why they insisted on leaving because they know that they can go further with the chains of WWE off them.

You can also tell how brainwashed (maybe not the right word, but let's go with it) the Revival were because one of them mentioned he was leaning towards re-signing because he was unsure of life after WWE and he needed the money because he has a family and all that. Not everyone thrives outside of WWE, but if you're talented enough it's definitely possible. The Revival fall in that category and they know others who have made it, they have a built in feud with the Bucks, and even then they worried about life without WWE. Now it makes far more sense because of the pandemic and everything, but before now? They could have gone anywhere.

And props to Dash or Dawson's grandma (I forget which said it) for asking, "how much money do you need?"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Vink comes from my local promotion in Melbourne (same promotion that produced Slex and Adam Brooks of recent ROH stints, and before that, Emma, Buddy Murphy, and uggh.......Mr. Juicy/Gino Gambino who paid his way into a Bullet Club membership years after it meant anything. Stay tuned as I slut shame all of the above people and provide salacious dirt on that time they didn't set up the ring that one time)

I only really saw him work as a Bruno-esque top of the card babyface who had a strong-man moveset and sold for the most of his stuff. It wasn't particularly engaging, but obviously a great look. 

My understanding is that he had a really good heel run on the way out before going to Florida, and showed a lot more of what he could do. I think there's definite upside to him.

nice Cheap shot. Must not have read Rippa's warning. Thankfully I did.  Do better

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Vink comes from my local promotion in Melbourne (same promotion that produced Slex and Adam Brooks of recent ROH stints, and before that, Emma, Buddy Murphy, and uggh.......Mr. Juicy/Gino Gambino who paid his way into a Bullet Club membership years after it meant anything. Stay tuned as I slut shame all of the above people and provide salacious dirt on that time they didn't set up the ring that one time)

I only really saw him work as a Bruno-esque top of the card babyface who had a strong-man moveset and sold for the most of his stuff. It wasn't particularly engaging, but obviously a great look. 

My understanding is that he had a really good heel run on the way out before going to Florida, and showed a lot more of what he could do. I think there's definite upside to him.

Saw him in Seattle for the Progress show a couple years back. He clearly stood out due to his size, physique, and looks. I instantly asked my friend why the fuck isn't this guy in WWE already? He was doing '80s heel shtick but he was great at both projecting smugness during the match and riled up the crowd prior on the mic. It was just one match but you don't need to see hours of footage to understand this guy looks like a star and projects like a star. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morganti said:

Has anyone played the Chikara game that's on steam?!

Played the demo of this with some of the Chikara guys this past summer. The game was closer to WWF WrestleMania the Arcade Game/In your house   than an actual wrestling game.  It was pretty fun though and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You can also tell how brainwashed (maybe not the right word, but let's go with it) the Revival were because one of them mentioned he was leaning towards re-signing because he was unsure of life after WWE and he needed the money because he has a family and all that. Not everyone thrives outside of WWE, but if you're talented enough it's definitely possible. The Revival fall in that category and they know others who have made it, they have a built in feud with the Bucks, and even then they worried about life without WWE. Now it makes far more sense because of the pandemic and everything, but before now? They could have gone anywhere.

And props to Dash or Dawson's grandma (I forget which said it) for asking, "how much money do you need?"

Considering the uncertainties and potentially short window that come with being a wrestler or any type of professional athlete, earning the greatest amount of money as quickly as possible is not an unreasonable thing to think about. They can certainly live comfortably outside the WWE bubble, and they're ambitious enough to make it work. But treading water and making a very good living in WWE has understandable appeal. If they're unhappy and have other professional goals, so be it. But there's a reasonable comeback to grandma's question. 

3 hours ago, EVA said:

If only there was a forum for discussing video games....

Or, since these are wrestling-related games, a monthly chat thread where all things wrestling could be talked about, like a general discussion thread of sorts!

Hey, waitaminnit...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Or, since these are wrestling-related games, a monthly chat thread where all things wrestling could be talked about, like a general discussion thread of sorts!

Hey, waitaminnit...

I’m not trying to police the board or anything, and I appreciate a solid digression as much as anybody, but I feel like once we’ve hit 2 pages worth of off topic conversation, maybe it’s time to take it to it’s proper place?

• Like 1

Guest Edwin
9 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m not trying to police the board or anything, and I appreciate a solid digression as much as anybody, but I feel like once we’ve hit 2 pages worth of off topic conversation, maybe it’s time to take it to it’s proper place?

It's wrestling related, so it's not an off topic conversation. ??‍♂️

14 minutes ago, EVA said:

Wrestling games are about wrestling, my breh. 

Anyway, I really wanted to talk about the fact that I'm playing WCW/nWo Revenge right now, and I forgot how much AKI changed over the World Tour ---> No Mercy bunch of games. I tried to do a running grapple and had no luck. I need to dig out No Mercy again because, and I don't care about what other wrestling games Japanese devs have made, I still think it's the fucking best. 

You can also squash someone in like a minute in No Mercy, but Kevin Nash Jackknifing Sick Boy or whoever twice in a row still garners a kickout at two in Revenge unless you're past about four minutes in. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Edwin said:

It's wrestling related, so it's not an off topic conversation. ??‍♂️

You guys aren’t alone in this, because it happens all the time, but RIPPA has said like a thousand times this is not the “talk  about whatever the fuck you want about wrestling” thread.  It’s specifically a catch-all thread for stuff that *doesn’t have another specific place on the board*.

We have a video game board.  There are no less than 3 wrestling game threads on the first page of it.  There is a place for this conversation elsewhere.  All I’m saying.

Alright, bruh, well when @RIPPA comes in the thread and calls it time to move on, we'll deal with it then. Thanks. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Revenge is bit more arcadey. I think the game is faster too.

I liked That NJPW Toukon Retsuden advance game with ripoff animations from Firepro.

Edited by D.Z

53 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Alright, bruh, well when @RIPPA comes in the thread and calls it time to move on, we'll deal with it then. Thanks. 

I'm not sure willfully ignoring something that you know he's said is a great idea, but you do you.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm gonna go ahead and pretend you never heaped praised onto WCW Mayhem.

WCW Thunder? Now that I can kick the crap out of all day. Easily the worst wrestling video game engine of all time. 

Mayhem....yeah, it was a stupid concept, and really consolidated the Russo idea that the ring was an obsolete aspect of how to present wrestling, but hey - it was entertaining in a terrible period for that company.

Also you could play as Doug Dillenger. That's a real turn on in a video game.