DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

11 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

One of my big wrestling gaming regrets is never having the opportunity to play any of the King of Colosseum on PS2. The rosters were insane 

Do you still have a PS2 around your place?

It’s stiff as hell when it comes to generic animations, but it’s still the best interpretation of a Japanese wrestling sim. Also the best commentary ever for a wrestling game. Only the Yukes UFC games come close to KoC’s commentary.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

I know we have the podcasts thread, but it's worth posting in here. The Revival on Jericho's podcast is must hear stuff. Some of it is incredibly eye opening, namely that the front office always kayfabes the boys that when leaks happens it's the boys leaking the info, but no one really believed that. So when the ridiculous outfits for the Revival leaked, Dash and Dawson weren't the ones to leak it and it definitely came from creative or the front office. When it happened they were thinking the front office tried to work them too.

The rest is some of the most interesting shit since the Moxley podcast. I think it's safe to say Dash and Dawson would retire before going back to WWE.

• Like 7

The AKI system has aged badly, the grappling system and the on rails uninterruptible animations/strikes that don't connect wouldn't fly today, and I didn't like that the finishes were usually anticlimactic because you had to telegraph your finisher with a wakeup taunt and it then wasn't reversible. Obviously lots of stuff from those games should have been adopted as standards for the genre though

ASPW would have been incredible if it had ever a) had full customisation options or b) been much fun to actually play (too much mashin'). it still looks great in motion today imo. Although it was restrictive I really liked that there were some finishers you could only hit if your guy was crazy hyped or the other guy was groggy, made the matches feel like they could evolve in different ways and you're not just working towards an inevitable Burning Hammer finish in every Kobashi match despite the move being ultra-rare and last resort-y IRL. Also submission chaining!

• Like 1

A couple other nuggets from the podcast...Vince never knew Dash and Dawson were college educated, articulate speakers until he talked to them. He assumed because they were southern that there's no way they could talk or sound intelligent.

They were offered the tag titles and flat out said we don't want the titles because they don't mean anything and we'd rather lose to the tag champions every night to at least try to make the titles mean something than hold them and have it mean nothing.

It's way more level headed than the Moxley podcast, but just as eye opening to how fucked up Vince and WWE are.

• Like 3

What possible reason is there for the front office to leak those outfits? It's not going to embarrass Cash and Dax. They look like the good guys and the office looks stupid and petty. It makes no sense.

Just a weak swing that completely misses the target. So pretty on brand for 2020 WWE. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

What possible reason is there for the front office to leak those outfits? It's not going to embarrass Cash and Dax. They look like the good guys and the office looks stupid and petty. It makes no sense.

Just a weak swing that completely misses the target. So pretty on brand for 2020 WWE. 

Near as I can figure, it makes it appear like Vince didn’t see them as stars or major players if he was going to slap that gimmick on them, so in their minds leaking it should devalue them as hot free agents. It makes sense if you use their internal logic that WWE can’t fail employees, only employees can fail WWE.

• Like 1

Which only makes sense if there isn't ample evidence that the widespread perception the office is holding someone down tends to boost the stock of that act. Believing this could devalue them in any way suggests the higher ups have very little memory of recent history.

Which explains a lot about their dumb TV show. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

I think you are both right.  Vince sees things one way regardless of what is true, false, or otherwise.  So to Vince and his yes men, leaking shit about the Revival makes them look bad.  To the internet fans who are tapped in to all of it it makes Vince and co look crazy (which lets be real, they probably are)

• Like 2

No matter how you slice, it's really fucked up and backwards. None of it makes sense except to the workaholic, septuagenarian, energy drink addict running the company.

It also just goes to show you how little respect Vince and anyone else has for anyone's intelligence. I really wish someone would sit Vince down and re-play his promo from Raw years ago where they weren't going to insult the audience's intelligence anymore because I feel like that's all they consistently do now. And Vince and presumably Bruce and others working the boys like that is ultra shitty. This ties into Hagan's review of JR's new book where this is a company that mentally and verbally abuses it's employees, but everyone cuts Vince so much slack that no one ever really goes all the way speaking the truth about what goes on. 

1 minute ago, BurningBeard said:

Blows my mind that in 2020, he still thinks like that ?

One of his biggest stars of all time was Steve Austin. It blows my mind that Vince thinks because you have a southern accent of any sort that you're unintelligent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BurningBeard said:

One of my big wrestling gaming regrets is never having the opportunity to play any of the King of Colosseum on PS2. The rosters were insane 

I fired up my copy a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out how to play.  The same could be said for All Star Pro Wrestling.  VPW 2 and No Mercy are still kings.

I also have copies of Giant Gram 2000 and Toukon Retsuden 4 that I've never played since I don't have a way to play imports on the DC.  Is Here Comes the Pain worth tracking down?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I fired up my copy a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out how to play.  

Because the menu was confusing, or the control being hard to understand? If it’s the controls, then lower the difficulty to 1, and play it like a Fire Pro meets an AKI game You have to grapple first manually like AKI, but after that it’s timing based like Fire Pro, and you have to press at the right moment on the offensive wind up. Another good example to this system are the 2K games. The difference though is that timing is all for reversing the opponents offense, where is KoC(Fire Pro) is allowing both the guy on offense, and defense a chance in the timing system.

I would also study gameplay videos to get a better idea about the system. It’s got a lot of moving parts, but it’s way easier to execute everything compared to Giant Gram, and ASPW. But again your best bet is to lower the difficulty all the way down. That way you can try every control option, then slowly raise the difficulty, so you can see you where the sensitivity of the timing window is for each difficulty. Because one things for sure this game actually widens, and narrows the window to execute, or reverse a move. I don’t believe Fire Pro does this. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Ya'll are making me want to fire up my Retropie setup again and play some VPW2 (translated!), instead of playing TEW 2016 and Animal Crossing at the same time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I remember seeing a trailer for All Star Pro-Wrestling and thinking it was the pinnacle of graphics and was pretty much real life. Here I am in 2020 and the only wrestling games I'm currently playing are Fire Pro World and TEW. Graphics mean nothing (though I really did dig ASPW - it was like a spiritual successor to TR in that they are really wooden but have lots of wonderful individualized moves and countermoves). 

I did a TEW trial a really long time ago but I found it kinda overwhelming coming from EWR. I wish there was something halfway in between. 

• Like 2

I remember having high hopes for a game called Pro Wrestling X in like 2004? 2005? I don't know. A long time ago. I just looked it up, and apparently it's now an Early Access title. Anyone ever play it?

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm gonna go ahead and pretend you never heaped praised onto WCW Mayhem.

Ever hear the phrase "Damning with faint praise"?

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Because the menu was confusing, or the control being hard to understand? If it’s the controls, then lower the difficulty to 1, and play it like a Fire Pro meets an AKI game You have to grapple first manually like AKI, but after that it’s timing based like Fire Pro, and you have to press at the right moment on the offensive wind up. Another good example to this system are the 2K games. The difference though is that timing is all for reversing the opponents offense, where is KoC(Fire Pro) is allowing both the guy on offense, and defense a chance in the timing system.

I would also study gameplay videos to get a better idea about the system. It’s got a lot of moving parts, but it’s way easier to execute everything compared to Giant Gram, and ASPW. But again your best bet is to lower the difficulty all the way down. That way you can try every control option, then slowly raise the difficulty, so you can see you where the sensitivity of the timing window is for each difficulty. Because one things for sure this game actually widens, and narrows the window to execute, or reverse a move. I don’t believe Fire Pro does this. 

One of my favorite things about KOC2 is they really went out of their way to animate a bunch of stuff for some fairly random wrestlers.  Like Tamon Honda has 5 different olympic hell variations and two deadlift germans.  Or how they did an entire reversal style just for Low Ki.

I really wish I still had a working PS2.

• Like 1

They improved it a lot compared to the first too. Removing frames of animation to speed up the game,  fixing the timing window(It’s almost impossible on higher difficulties), and ditching the neat, but ultimately  the anti-consumer friendly Red & Green versions.